Merlin Guest House Key West
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
  • Breakfast included
Almond Tree Inn(Key West)
Orchid Key Inn(Key West)
Marquesa Hotel(Key West)
La Te Da Hotel(Key West)
  • Breakfast included
All reviewscontinental breakfastduval streetresident catbagelssimonton stspa poolking suitesmall poolevery morningstay there againwithin walking distancelight sleeperbathroom doorprivate balconywalked everywheresitting areahard boiled eggs
FilterAll languages
Reviewed July 1, 2008

I'm not sure what the people who gave this place a bad review are used to but I had an excellent experience! We had a group of 7 staying in 3 different rooms. The king rooms were a bit small but was plenty of space for 2 people. You're in Key West, you aren't really in your rooms that much to need tons of space! We got one of the 1 bedroom suites and the room was great! We had plenty of space to hang out when we felt like it. The service was great and the workers very helpful when wehad questions. I would definitely recommend this hotel! (I guess unless you are an insanely picky person who wants a luxury hotel setting)

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled with friends
1  Thank mandy6488
Reviewed May 29, 2008

The descriptions and photos from their website of the property and rooms simply don't do the place justice. Seriously-the photos lie.

We stayed for a week in April 2008. From the descriptions, I thought we were lucky to find such a nice place, so convenient but not on Duval, on short notice, at such a low price ($200/nite).

On arrival the clerk/manager/whatever he is was simply surly. At first we dismissed it as him having a bad day,we all do on occasion, so we tried to be bright and chipper (we're on vacation,remember!) hoping he'd follow along. No go-he remained surly for the trip. Not helpful, not nice in any way. He seemed to resent having to do his job, as if our arrival and presence was an interruption to his day. This never changed during our stay.

If you look at their pictures, you see these pretty little rooms. They look neat and clean,like they'd been recently remodeled. Well, they may have, but what a poor job of it. while I realize rooms are often small in places like Key west, and have no issue with it, this was laughable. I'd bet even European travelers would scoff at this place!

The bed (a four-poster queen) took up the entire room-there was about 2 feet of space on one side, and about 10 inches on the other. Getting in and out of bed was tricky.

The tv was placed on a shelf about 5 feet up. Fine, I get that, and I'm not going to use the thing anyway while I'm in Key West. I'm not there for tv. But the shelf was pretty low-rent. It looked like something I slapped together out of used boards when I was a poor college student - two pine 1x8" boards, stained honey oak, set vertically like a wall. This also served as a wall of the "closet'.

Tacky.

The 'lofted" ceiling. Umm, yea. Those "beautiful" pergola-looking boards you can see in the ceiling pictures are just the original rafters (read:ugly, unfinished rough-cut wood) that were uncovered by simply removing the drywall that had originally been there. You can even see where they're tied to the building's central beam!

The ceiling fan. Well, it was there, it worked, and it didn't make noise. But it wasn't any kind of attractive. The metal mounting/
electrical box was exposed (they could at least paint it brown), and the stapled wiring was exposed (see the pictures). Again, they could at least run it in a decorative conduit/raceway.

The bathroom. I hope you're very comfortable with whoever you stay with, and you aren't shy, as you can hear every tinkle in the bathroom from anywhere in the room. Whoever decided to use a LOUVERED door on the bathroom better explain themselves. I can find no reasonable explanation for this choice. I understand the potential ventilation issues, but a properly installed, quality exhaust fan setup would easily address this.

Speaking of noise, you can hear every creak, every cough, every noise from your neighbor. The walls are so thin my neighbors tv woke me up, and i could sometimes make out what was being said ON THEIR TV! Again, I hope you're not shy, and I'm sorry if you were our neighbors and we kept you up!

As you can see in the picture, the bathroom floor looks like wood salvaged from some old barn and just stained to mask its flaws. There were HOLES in the bathroom floor. The shower took so long to get warm, I initially thought there was something wrong. The first time we used it in a day, it took several minutes to start to warm up. and there was practically no water pressure.

Apparently they only change the sheets every other day, which I'm actually quite fine with. We had a need for new sheets one day in the early afternoon. I walked to the office and very politely asked for new sheets, even offering to change them myself, figuring housekeeping was probably gone for the day. Again our surly friend at the front desk acted as if I were intruding on his day. He started making excuses- "housekeeping has already gone home", "I don't know if I can get them" etc, etc. Surprisingly, when we returned that evening, the sheets had been changed.

our surly friend and the staff struck again our last morning there. As with many places, checkout time was 11A (a little early in my book for a vacation place). We were dragging a little, so about ten after eleven a housekeeper stoppped by and asked if were were checking out. We told her we'd be out in about 15 minutes (most of our luggage was already outside the door). Not even five minutes later the manager came knocking on the door with his sunny disposition asking the same question, which we gave the same answer.

As I dropped the key off, he hardly acknowledged me-just taking the key and turning around. If he were one of my employees, he wouldn't be anymore.

See the pictures, taken with a cheap little digital camera. Notice the pretty ceiling joists, the blue paint on the closet/tv stand, and the lovely rotting bathroom floor. Oh, and the room had obviously just been refurbished.

One side note-there's a fabulous casual French restaurant on Duval, just a couple blocks from Merlin House. Their service is a complete opposite to Merlin. Friendly, smiling, enjoying what they do,and serving the most wonderful food. We had breakfast there every morning. On our last morning, after we checked out, we stopped and had breakfast there, as usual. We had a logistics problem with getting to the Key West Express boat and dealing with our luggage. We asked our waitress for ideas, she asked the rest of the staff, and they found a solution for us.

Now that's service.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank bobdiddybob
Reviewed May 17, 2008

My boyfriend and I stayed at this guesthouse for my 21st birthday the first weekend of April. One of the reasons we chose it was because it was located within a block of Duval Street and it was priced decently for a guesthouse.

We arrived about an hour after check in and our room was ready. I had to send my boyfriend in to get the room while I drove around and looked for parking. Parking was a HUGE issue, but that is absolutely everywhere in Key West. About a block and a half from the hotel there is a county parking lot. It was really expensice though, $1.25/hour. )I live in Miami and Miami is cheaper!!!! Haha.) We eneded up parking in a private lot during the day for $10 bucks and then moved it around midnight to the county lot. (The county lot is free overnight.)

As far as the hotel goes, it was very cosy and romantic. The room was small, but I prefer to use the word intimate. My boyfriend and I were joking about the bathroom because we thought it was the closet! It was fine though. Everything was clean and there was nice hot water.

Every morning there was a continental breakfast with juice, coffee, pastries, bagels, and fruit. We would fill up on that and it kept us going to about dinner. Breakfast is served outside on the patio. It is surrounded by beautiful plants and trees and there is a nice jet pool there too. It is small but we were the only people in it!

I do recommend this place. It is in a great location. =)

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 31, 2008

My wife and I made a quick trip to Key West. The Merlin Guesthouse was picked for the price ($200/night). When we booked, we were told parking is a problem. It is. There are two spaces in the back of the hotel that are reserved for hotel guests. Otherwise you are on the street(s) looking for a parking space (which are pretty scarce). We had one of the 6 rooms facing Simonton. These rooms measure 14'*9' in size. The bed basically occupies most of the space. A small table with a wall unit AC underneath and a small dresser takes up the remaining space. The headboard of the bed is at the far end of the room. Right behind the headboard wall is a small bathroom accessed thru a louvred door which is immediately next to the headboard. The sheets on the bed sit on top of a plastic covered mattress. No mattress pad. Street noise, noise from the other guests on the porch or in other rooms was very noticeable. The continental breakfast was OK - toaster was very slow in browning a bagel. Rooms were generally clean but could be best described as shabby. Proximity to Duval was good. I wish I would have spent another $50 - 100 to get a room elsewhere. As we were there for just a short time we just chalked it up to an experience. Lesson learned.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Nizwa
Reviewed March 25, 2008

We loved this place. Stayed in a one bedroom bungalow and it was very nice, clean, roomy, quaint and charming. Just what you would expect in Key West. Parking is limited but we didnt drive much so it wasnt a big deal. It is located on the far end of the strip so one suggestion, rent bikes one day.. We walked all 3 days we where there and where exhausted by the third day. But we had a blast!!! Worth every penny!!! Highly recommend! They also have a great pool side breakfast. (muffins, fruit, juice, coffee etc..)

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled as a couple