“Great Location - not a Luxury Timeshare with hidden charges.”
Review of The Banyan Resort

The Banyan Resort
Ranked #35 of 77 Key West B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed May 18, 2010

My husband, mother-in-law and aunt went down for a family vacation to the Keys in May 2010. I have been going to the Keys for the last 13 years and I love it down there. I am current Hyatt Timeshare owner in Key West and wanted to try something different. I was very disappointed in finding out that this was not a luxury resort and could not even compare to the Hyatt.

When we checked in eveyone was friendly and very accommodating. However, I was never told that I was going to be charged for parking. I was asked if we had a car and I said we did and they gave us a parking pass and we parked it in the lot. I did not know I was being charged $20 a day until I checked out. I was very shocked. Also, I was not told that we had to pay to have clean towels brought to our room every day. This was another unexpected charge.

We enjoyed the location of the room as it was very close and in walking distance of everything, however the floors were filthy dirty. If anyone walked around barefoot your feet turned black from the floors.

The staff was very accommodating when we needed anything brought to the room. Our coffee machine was broke and a new one was brought over right away. The service was very good.

Being an owner of a 5 star resort, The Banyon did not meet my expectations of a luxury resort. However, I would recommend and possibly stay there again myself now knowing about all the additional charges. Next time I would not rent a car and save on the cost of parking.

• Stayed: May 2010
1  Thank Dolphin525
BanyanManager, General Manager at The Banyan Resort, responded to this reviewResponded May 25, 2010

All of our fees including parking, surcharges, housekeeping are included on the interval exchange confirmation literature that is sent to you. I apologize if you were taken by surprise at check out, but we try to provide as much information as possible in the confirmation letter to avoid this.

I'm glad to hear that our staff were accommodating and that you were satisfied with the services provided by them.

Thank you for taking the time to submit a review. I think you provided excellent information for any guest who is considering whether or not they should rent a car during their stay at the Banyan; that they do not need one at all due to our location.

Reviewed May 14, 2010

My husband and I just returned from a 4 night stay in Key West at The Banyan. We have been to Key West many times and have stayed in a different place each time. No more! The Banyan has won us over. We had a studio with a private balcony which overlooked the pool. We loved the evening swims and lounging in the spa. The staff was amazing and went out of their way to meet your every need. We had a great time at the tiki bar and meeting the owner Dave. Not only is he a great cook but we enjoyed just spending time talking with him. We encourage anyone going to Key West to stay here. Oh, the gardens and banyan trees are beautiful. Take lots of pictures.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 2, 2010

The Banyan resort is very nice and the location is great if you want to be close to Duval Street. However if you want beach and sun this is not the place. We stayed for 4 nights in a one bedroom with a balcony overlooking Whitehead St. Room was very nice, kitchen full bath, kind of like a one bedroom apartment.
The balcony was very nice, however it got noisy in the evening from the street noise and the drunkers stumbling home at 3am, then again it’s Key West and you are ½ block from Duval.
The grounds are spectacular and the banyan trees are amazing. 2 pools one adult and one for kids which was nice. The tiki bar is small, about 8 chairs and only open for breakfast and lunch. David the bartender/cook was great and gave us so many in and outs of Key West, he was a great host and worth picking his brain for where to eat and such. They have a new bartender named Richard who was nice, however he was sooooooo annoying. Every time you asked him for a drink he would say no and try and make a funny comment, first 12 times was okay, butt shut the hell up and give me a drink. Again he was nice, just kind of annoying and when I am in the Keys on vacation; I don’t want to be annoyed.
This is a time share location and if you check in any other day other than Saturday to Saturday you will probably have to be moved to a different room during your stay which some people we met said they didn’t like.
Since this is a time share lots of people know each other which is nice, however everyday at the pool and tiki bar there were the same4-8 couples chatting away which wasn’t for us. Most people were over 40 and beyond, again that’s great but not our cup of tea.
If you are looking for a charming place, close to Duval Street and want to make some new friends this is a great place to do so. If you are looking to do your own thing and do the beach things it’s not.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Fishintheseas
Reviewed April 29, 2010

My wife and I stayed here with another couple. This was our first trip to the Keys, and we couldn't pick a better location. 1 1/2 blocks off Duval Street, and close to most places to do sightseeing and carousing. With the exception of a few days, we spent afternoons hanging out at the pool and the "Tiki Bar" with David, the bartender / unofficial concierge / all-around great guy! He is very knowledgeable about Key West, and his recommendations of things to see and eat were on-point every time! He is well liked by all the regulars that go to The Banyan and with good reason...

The room was nice and the grounds are beautiful, Banyan trees on the property and plenty of plants that we would have growing in a flower pot at home thrive there. Two pools and the hot tub, although we only used the pool. Many timeshare owners were there and were very friendly!

So when you go to the Banyan, make sure to take plenty of sunscreen, your swimsuit, and a "Key West" attitude. And be sure to ask David to make you a,”sucky burger,” it’s not on the menu and it should be a food group by itself!

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with friends
2  Thank jrhunte
Reviewed April 17, 2010

We stayed at the Banyan on the recommendation of my parents who have enjoyed their stay here many times. For me, the Banyan's defining quality is that the hotel creates an almost "other worldly" serene, tropical garden setting within steps of the extreme party scene that awaits visitors on Duval Street in Key West. The Banyan's garden, which is set with several giant Banyan trees is truly charming and boasts a pool and a tiki bar which could be a nice assembly point for late afternoon/early evening endeavors. The trees and gardens render the nearby bustle almost indetectable.

We stayed in an upstairs room which had a nice view of the Banyan's garden as well as neighboring gardens. The room itself was of good size and included a kitchen, living area and one bedroom and one bath. The decor and furnishings are modest and I would say on the verge of being a bit dated, but the overall cleanliness and convenience of the kitchen made up for this. We purchased some groceries and were able to make breakfast and keep a few snacks for ourselves for throughout the day.

Key West is a vacation destination of course and so the hotel services are consistent with that...if you MUST get on the internet, it can be done but the access is limited to a few areas on the grounds. The Banyan is probably not the ideal place if you need to conduct serious busines while in Key West for this reason.

The Banyan is within a couple of blocks of Duvall Street access and is a perfect location to access Key West's major attractions. As usual, Key West delighted us with its unique flavor and scene...on one night, there were people with cameras filming a low budget movie, a man with a giant snake...lots of partiers in full party mode....all good fun...and the proximity of the Banyan makes it a good choice. You can both gain access to the fun from the Banyan and retreat from it as you wish.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 24, 2010

We were extremely impressed with The Banyan Resort during our recent stay. We love Key West with it's tropical island feel (5 cruise ships docked during the week so many others must agree). The Banyan was a beautiful mix of tropical gardens, scenic pool areas, and spacious rooms housed in historic buildings. The staff was friendly & helpful with reccomendations on area attractions and restaurants. The best part, though, was the great location on quiet Whitehead St but only 1 block from world famous Duval St. I will definitely stay Herr on my next trip to Key West.

Reviewed March 17, 2010

All the charm of a bed and breakfast, all the amenities of a resort. A collection of Key West homes surrounding a tropical garden, two swimming pools, one family the second adult, and a Tiki Bar offering a breakfast, lunch and a full bar service. We stayed in a two bedroom unit in the Locke House, one of five homes on the resort on the National Historic Registry. The full kitchen allowed us to save on some breakfasts and lunches but the food and drink at Tiki Bar hosted by a gentleman/chef named David was so special we didn't use the kitchen as much as we planned. David also acted as our personal concierge recommended wonderful restaurants and activities on the island as well as securing reservations when we failed. The property gave us a true Key West experience.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple