“Great Place - Stay HERE!!!”
Review of The Banyan Resort

The Banyan Resort
Ranked #37 of 77 Key West B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersSilver level
Upstate NY
“Great Place - Stay HERE!!!”
Reviewed July 25, 2008

We stayed at the Banyan with friends who are Banyan Timeshare owners. We have stayed in many timeshares over the last 20+ years but none compare to the positive staff and great setting the Banyan provded.

The 2 bedroom apartment was vey adequate for our needs although some additional basic kitchen utensils would have been helpful. When our hosts asked for a cookie sheet it was available within a short time. I have a feeling that the staff would have gone out to get anything that we needed.

Chris the maintenance man was extremely responsive, cordial and, downright GREAT! Dave at the TIKI bar was up there in terms of friendly. I could not pass a staff of the Banyan and not feel like I was VERY welcome to be there. They are wonderful people. The office staff were very accomodating each time we wanted new beach towels or a reservation for a special event like the Danger Tours, (Try it you will like it ) or when we needed our boarding passes printed the evening before we departed.

The BEST part was the pool area. 2 small but very adequate swimming pools with a Tiki Bar in between. It was a quiet, beautiful setting amongst various palms, fruit trees, tropical plants and beautiful flowers. Pools were very clean and very refreshing in the heat and humidity that accompanied our summer adventure.

The rest of the shaded areas around the Banyan are very secluded and located within a space bordered by approximately 7 buildings that are the apartments of the Banyan.

Lets not forget to talk about the reason the Baynan gets its name. It is the Banyan Trees of course. Directly in front of the Bayan stands a very large and very old but very beautiful Banyan. Great place for a family photo. In the interior of the property there is another that shields one from the sun and noise of the very busy Key West streets.

YUP! I would return if I were going to Key West again.

• Liked — The setting was beautiful and private in a very busy place
  • Disliked — All was great.
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with friends
2 Thank CGBT

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (99)
Cleveland
Reviewed July 23, 2008

This was my second trip to The Banyan this year and it certainly won't be my last.

The location in Key West is perfect. The Banyan sits directly accross from the Truman Presidential Complex, a two minute walk to the heart of Duval Street, a few blocks from Mallory Square and about a hundred paces from famed Mile Marker 0.
Bikes are available on site for a reasonable $10 per day fee.
If you stay here, you can get anywhere on a bike and don't ever need a car.

The grounds are well-maintained and a tropical paradise. The heavily popluated vegitation includes Banyan Trees (obviously) as well as tropical plants everywhere. The resort has a children's pool and adult pool that are both chlorine free and immaculately maintained. Dave at the Tiki Bar makes a killer omlet in the morning and an equally fabulous Margarita at happy hour. He is friendly and accomodating (as is the entire staff) and freely offers entertainment and restaurant suggestions from his many years on the Key.

The one bedroom suite was newly rennovated and featured a full kitchen (with all utensils, blender, toaster, microwave etc.) and fablous screened-in patio in the middle of one of the tropical gardens. The patio is a great place to enjoy a cup of coffee in the morning (Starbucks is a 2 minute walk away) or a night cap after seeing the sights on Duval (and there are plenty!)

The best part of The Banyan is it's location. You can take in the fun, music and food on Duval and easily walk back to the resort and relax by the pool. It's like 2 vacations in 1. A great way to enjoy the Key West party with a relaxing place to head back to when you need some R & R.

I would highly recommend this resort.

• Liked — The location and staff
  • Disliked — I had to leave when my vacation ended.
  • Stayed July 2008
1 Thank MayoClevelandLad
Clearwater, Florida
Reviewed July 20, 2008

Stayed 5 days at the Banyan, very relaxing, close to Duval Street. Rented bikes and scooter right on property. Spacious room and most importantly, ICE COLD AIR!! This was our second stay at the Banyan and already booked for next July. Thank you Banyan.

• Liked — Ice Cold Air
  • Disliked — Construction next door
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
North Carolina
Reviewed June 23, 2008

The Banyon is nice place to stay because of walking distance to everything, but still secluded. Staff was friendly. Definitely rent bikes because we rode bikes all over the island. Used car a few nights to go to Stock Island (Hogfish Bar..great place). Bikes are much easier to get around Mallorey Square instead of car..way too busy and no parking.

BEWARE do not let them put you in room 401.NEVER.NEVER, NEVER. Ground level floor, right in front of the "picture taking spot for Banyon tree". You littlerly are face to face with tourists every morning, every night. Morning coffee/soothing morning, is out of the question due to lack of privacy. You are also next to the housekeeping area. Every single morning we were awaken at 7:00 sharp with rolling buckets on sidewalk (why they needed to do this so early) and that D##### blower at 7:00 in the morning. give me a break!!!! do the sidwalks really need blowing at that time of morning. There were also two motorcycles parked in this area and the whole hotel probaly was awakened one morning at 7:30.

Don't get us wrong, we have stayed at the Banyon before and we were put in one of the back buildings. Nice and quiet back there, nice/small pools, but the friendliness of the Tiki bar staff made up for that.

We ate at some WONDERFUL restaurants.. Blue Heaven (beware this is unusual restaurant, but great food)..Great cuban food at de Pepe...

Relax and have fun........

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — Room 401/housekeeping
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank sherwoodsharks
BanyanResort, General Manager at The Banyan Resort, responded to this review, July 8, 2008
We are thrilled that you enjoyed your Key West vacation and apologize that you didn't feel the seclusion and privacy that we seek to nurture here at The Banyan Resort. Unfortunately the early leaf-blowing is the City of Key West. We have made several requests that they take our guests' needs into consideration.

Our unique property does allow us to accommodate those who wish to be secluded. The beauty of Suite 401 is the floor-to-ceiling windows, perfect location for people-watching and the incredible view of the Banyan tree. The privacy afforded by the units located in the gardens is preferred by others. Please be sure to make this request upon booking your reservation so your vacation experience at the Banyan will better suit your needs.

We hope you will find this tip helpful when booking your next reservation!
Mt. Vernon OH
Reviewed June 20, 2008

My wife and I got married 10 years ago in Key West and stayed at a different property. We decided to return to Key West for our 10th anniversary and we booked the Banyan through a time share exchange. When I booked the Banyan we were a little hesitant because of the reviews. We did not have much of a choice though since it was a time share exchange.

When I first walked in the Banyan the staff at the front desk was very polite. They explained the property to me and answered all of my questions.

I walked through the property and I was amazed at the Banyan tree. The landscaping was wonderful and the property seemed very peaceful. As I walked past the pool area to get to my room my first thought was there was not much to the pools but that was ok for me and my wife since we just like to relax during the day hours. As I walked past the Tiki Bar everyone said hi including the renters / owners. The Tiki Bar owner Dave seemed very nice.

I went to our room and the room was very clean and spacious. It was nicely decorated. Through out the week Dave (Tiki Bar Owner) recommended several restaurants to us and all of his recommendations lived up to his hype.

During the day time my wife and would normally lounge around the pool and enjoy some adult drinks. I found the pool to always be clean. The pool is not the biggest in Key West nor is it the most exotic pool in Key West, but I will say its one of the most private pools in Key West. With in an hour we met several people at the pool and enjoyed some great evenings with them.

If you are looking for a private area and an opportunity to meet new people while in Key West, I would highly recommend the Banyan.

If you are looking for a party hotel, with people getting drunk and loud then I would not recommend this property. In my opinion when you are in Key West you party at night and relax during the day. If you share my opinion than visit the Banyan you won’t be disappointed.

• Liked — Relaxation
  • Disliked — Having to leave!!!!
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank RMP721
Ringoes, New Jersey
Reviewed May 28, 2008

Just returned from trip to Key West staying five nights at the Banyan Resort. Location in Old Town is excellent, Kelly's (happy hour) one block north (or is it east?), Parrot Club (great music) three blocks south (or is it west?) and Duval Street is only one block away. While the buildings are old and historical, they are clean and comfortable. The tropical gardens around the two pools and Tiki Hut are beautiful and the Banyan tree itself is just amazing to look at.

The staff is very helpful and courteous; one complaint would be the wireless access. You need to be near the Tiki Hut to pick up the signal, impossible to access in the unit we were in.

While I wouldn't consider it a resort, the Banyan overall is a very nice place to stay and relax and still be close to where the action is.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Internet access
  • Stayed May 2008
new york
Reviewed April 28, 2008

We had a great time in Key West. After reading some of the reviews I was not sure what we would find at the Banyan. We stayed in Sawyer house. When we arrived we were greeted warmly by the staff. Our rooms were nicely furnished and clean. We loved the gardens and the porches in the front and back. Our two adult sons loved the location. After we parked the car it stayed in the lot for the entire time we were there. We were able to walk to everything. We went to Mallory Square for sunset and ate dinner outside on the pier each night. We ate breakfast one morning at the tiki bar and enjoyed the pancakes and fresh fruit. We were sorry we didn't have more time. I had gone into the office several times to ask questions about locations of things and always was treated nicely.

Stayed April 2008