“Old Key west setting”

The Banyan Resort
Ranked #35 of 77 Key West B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed January 21, 2013

I have stayed at the Banyan several times and would not consider any of the newer and modern hotels in old town. The Banyan is just outside the 'busy' part of old town but close enough to walk or ride bike's (which are provided) All the units at the Banyan are unique, as all the houses are historic and have been renovated into units, some first floor, some second. There is a tall privacy fence around the grounds and inside is tropical and well groomed, flora and fauna. The pool is nice and quiet and there is a pool bar and grill. For the old Key west feel and atmosphere, the Banyan is the place to stay. I would not recommend the Banyan for folks with children. It is more of a relaxing type atmosphere. Some of the newer motel type hotels with active pool festivities would suit the kids best.

Room Tip: Highly recommend for couples or singles, not a place for kids. Kids might find it boring but very...
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank streble
BanyanManager, General Manager at The Banyan Resort, responded to this reviewResponded January 22, 2013

Thank you for posting your review.

In an effort to give our younger guests (and perhaps guests of all ages!) options for some innocent inside fun, we have recently purchased a couple of Wii gaming systems. They are available for rent at the Front Desk for $10/night.

Reviewed January 18, 2013

We used a timeshare week to stay here the week of July 4th and it turned out to be the worst vacation experience we've ever had. Upon check-in there was a misprint as to how many people we had with us, 5 instead of 4, one was a 2 year old. The staff basically told us we would either have to pack our stuff and turn around and drive 8 hours home, or rent a two bedroom from them for $350 a night, the price it should have cost us to stay all week. I was literally in tears and shaking. I couldn't believe I would have to tell my poor kids we couldn't stay and had to go home! Thankfully the SAINTS behind us offered to trade their two bedroom for our one/loft, and we were able to stay. However, the women working the front office were extremely rude to us and gave us dirty looks our entire stay. The pool was also closed, under construction and the noise was insane! We will never stay here again, and may never go back to Key West after this experience.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Liv T
BanyanManager, General Manager at The Banyan Resort, responded to this reviewResponded January 21, 2013

I'm sorry to hear of your disappointment with us. It is our goal to provide the best vacation experience possible to all of our guests. Our occupancy limits are set by fire code and the code counts the number of bodies in a room, not their size. Violating the could result in loss of our license, so we enforce it strictly.

That said, I'm so happy to hear you had the good fortune to encounter the guests who offered to switch units with you. My apologies that we did not have that option to offer you free of charge. The Banyan is a sold out resort, meaning each unit is individually owned unlike other resorts where the developer has inventory to offer room changes or complimentary upgrades. This puts us into a position where we do not have the authority to take a unit from one owner to accommodate another guest without a rental payment. While I understand this news was disheartening to receive, I can assure you there was no malicious intent on our behalf.

All the best to you.

Reviewed January 17, 2013

I rented a studio because I was traveling alone-- a nice option -- and love having a kitchen. This is a very comfortable and friendly place for a solo traveler!! Although my unit had not been re-done with new a/c and furniture, it had a wonderful, large private patio where I spent most of my time. A few issues in my unit (outdoor light out, slow bathroom drain) were taken care of promptly and cheerfully. Staff was very helpful on recommendations for restaurants and activities -- and everyone is made to feel at home. The location is PRIME -- 1 block to Duval Street, Red Barn Theater,Tropic Cinema, etc. -- but generally quiet. On site bike rental is also a plus; I don't even bother with a car there. A lot is done to make your stay really relaxing and restful -- like sweeping garden areas instead of leaf blowing each day!! Pool water was too nippy for me to go in...Be prepared to purchase EVERYTHING you need for the kitchen -- even salt and pepper -- and consider bringing your own pillow; the foam pillows provided were like sleeping on a beachball. Will DEFINITELY return!!

Room Tip: Street side units can be noisy at night. Studio unit 301 is very dark inside but (shady) patio make...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Lifesabrook

Its always nice to read about guest who enjoy our property and come back to visit every year.

I wanted to let you know that we recently installed energy efficient heat pumps on both of our swimming pools. The solar panels were only outputting enough warmth to heat the pools just about 75 degrees in the cooler months, so the heat pumps give them the extra boost to keep them both at a comfortable 82 degrees during our winter and spring months. So give them a try next time you're staying with us!

Reviewed January 10, 2013 via mobile

We have been staying here for 23 years. The location is good half block off Duavall. But you can hardly hear the noise of the street even on New Years eve. The place is clean and the staff is helpful.

• Stayed: December 2012
2  Thank ilvica2
BanyanManager, General Manager at The Banyan Resort, responded to this reviewResponded January 14, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to post a review.

Reviewed January 3, 2013

The Banyan by virtue of its setting and full amenity flats, allows you to enjoy Key West on your terms. A laid back vacation to me is reading by the pool, web surfing at the tiki bar, strolling the neighbourhood shops and relaxing in front of the 42" flat screen watching Netflix if strolling out for some top level Jazz or R & B seems too tiring. I personally enjoy going to the local markets and preparing lighter meals like breakfast and organic salads, which I can comfortably do while the gentle gulf ocean breezes flow through my second level flat...Very comfortable and serene accomodations with incredibly kind and respectful staff....

Be prepared to be amazed by this magical little island and this unique sanctuary...

Room Tip: 2nd floor units are best if you like to sleep with the windows open because of the beautiful breezes...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Alexim10
BanyanManager, General Manager at The Banyan Resort, responded to this reviewResponded January 7, 2013

It sounds like you had a really enjoyable vacation. I'm glad to hear we were able to provide all of the amenities to suit your needs. I hope you will return!

Reviewed December 28, 2012

Our family spends Christmas at the Banyan every year. The weather was absolutely gorgeous and made pool side lounging a true pleasure surrounded by the beautiful foliage in the gardens. The pool temperature was warmer this year so that and the hot tub made for vey relaxing days.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Canoe42965
BanyanManager, General Manager at The Banyan Resort, responded to this reviewResponded December 31, 2012

Thank you for spending your Holidays with us! We're in the process of upgrading our pool heating systems. I'm glad to hear you noticed a difference!

Reviewed December 27, 2012

My husband and I stay three weeks a year here and absolutely love it. It is well maintained and the grounds are lush and lovely. It is amazingly private and secluded considering it is only a block of Duval Street. You can walk almost anywhere, as it is centrally located. The staff are always very nice and extremely accomodating. And there is a great Tiki Bar there between the two pools. The hot tub is wonderful- except in summer! We love Key West because of the Banyan.....

Room Tip: The best fitness is to walk everywhere and explore off the beaten path streets(Duval) and you will...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank iopgirl8

..And they Banyan loves you guys, too! It was great seeing you again. Best wishes for a healthy and happy 2013!