“Beautiful Hotel in a great location”

Ocean Key Resort & Spa
Ranked #12 of 51 Hotels in Key West
GreenLeadersSilver level
Norman, Oklahoma
“Beautiful Hotel in a great location”
Reviewed January 24, 2010

My husband and I traveled to Key West and stayed at Ocean Key from 1/17/10 through 1/22/10. We decided on Ocean Key after reading reviews on Tripadvisor that described this as a nice resort that was close to everything. We could not agree more.

We arrived at the resort around 6:30 p.m. and they provided us with an upgrade to a Boutique Suite, Ocean View, 5th floor. I refuse to believe that there could be a better room in the entire resort - our room directly overlooked Sunset Pier and the ocean. Each evening, we watched the sunset from our balcony with a cheese and cracker plate and a bottle of wine, both from room service. The room service was super fast. Everyone at the resort was very friendly and they could not have made us feel more welcome.

The reviews about Ocean Key's location were spot on. It is on Zero Duval, across from Pier House. We just walked out of the resort, turned right and made our way down Duval each day. If the buzz of activity annoys you, then you might not want to stay in room 511 but we loved it! and I am sure that there are other rooms that are a bit quieter. We had our own balcony to listen to the live music each evening at Sunset Pier, starting about an hour before sunset until around 10:00 (later on the Sunday before Martin Luther King Day).

On our second full day, we discovered the electric car and scooter rental place across the street. I believe it is associated with Pier House. After driving the car for a couple of hours, we decided to keep it for the entire week. Ocean Key has a special place to park electric cars and scooters, both free of charge. The parking spots for the electric cars have charging stations - parking and charging was free.

Our room had a king bed, a sofa, desk, a desk chair and a comfy chair. The room had lots of storage space for clothing; no need to live out of our luggage. The bathroom was huge and if you liked, you could open shutters that closed the shower off from the rest of the room and look out on the ocean while showering - a really neat addition.

We had breakfast one morning at Hot Tin Roof. My husband had an omelet and I had a breakfast sandwich. Both were great. We would have eaten at the hotel more but were anxious to try other restaurants in town.

The rooms were very clean. The hotel allows you to designate the time you want for housekeeping and they keep to the schedule. The housekeepers came again in the evening for turndown service, if desired, and to see if we needed any more towels, shampoo, etc. The entire resort was clean and beautiful - lots of greenery and flowers. People were working all over the resort at all times.

Another thing about Key West in general and Ocean Key in particular - we felt safe at all times. I left my wedding ring and diamond earrings in the bathroom each day and they were never touched. That is something that I never would have considered doing at any other place we have stayed.

There is a great gift shop included in the resort and we visited it quite frequently.

I spent a day at the pool while my husband went fishing. The Liquid Lounge at the pool had great food, great drinks and great service. The pool area was pretty crowded but all of the people were really nice.

All in all, we had a great time and will stay at Ocean Key the next time we go to Key West.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Mary R

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (700)
  • Turkish first
Bonita Springs, Florida
Reviewed January 12, 2010

By far this hotel is the best in means of getting to and from every single one of our destinations without hailing a cab. Granted the island is not too big to begin with, but since all of our planned activities were on Duval Street & Mallory Square- this was the best location.
The rooms are very spacious and each unique. One of our rooms had a spa/tub in the middle of the room and another had a "risque" shower that had windows looking into the bedroom. I thought it was interesting, although, I don't know about others.
From time to time I did get a little confused as to where the elevators were, and the ice machines (down the hall, to the right, make a left, go across the parking lot...). However, once I got used to the property it was easy.
I love the fact that my room overlooked Mallory Square, and EVERY room had a full balcony. Talk about a view! Unfortunately the Saturday night my friends and I were there it was raining and very cold (in the 50s).
The front desk was more than accommodating to our payment methods (4 ppl splitting the bill). The bellmen always had a smile when they saw just how much luggage 4 girls could bring for one weekend, and housekeeping never missed a beat with refreshing our towels.
I would recommend this hotel in a heartbeat.

**Caution** The Sunday moring that we were due to leave, the city of Key West decided to install a new dock at Mallory Square. So at 8:30am we heard a craine nailing pillons into concrete. Needless to say, after only 4 hours of sleep...we were none too happy. If you see any construction machinery outside before you go to sleep, I highly recommend purchasing a set of ear plugs at the CVS down the street.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with friends
3 Thank swpalm
London
Reviewed January 10, 2010

Stayed here late December and over New Year until 2nd January. The room was fabulous overlooking the pool and bar (full ocean view), the staff are beyond reproach and room service was just fantastic. I had asked for a quiet room, but I think at the end of Duval Street, it's imposible to get one! Having said that I wasn't bothered with noise at all from outside, but was with a fellow guest's TV, but when I complained they ensured it was turned down pronto. The jacuzzi in the room is great too, though I didn't really rate the spa massage treatments and wouldn't have those again if returning. All in all though, a great stay and I would definitely return.

1 Thank Katrina500
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed January 2, 2010

We arrived late at the hotel and planned on showering and going out to Duval. We both had very cold showers and let the front desk know there was a problem, they were up within minutes. The water heater ended up being broken, so they offered to upgrade us. We got a wonderful room overlooking Mallory Square, with a hot tub and they gave us vouchers for free breakfast at the Hot Tin Roof. The resturant was wonderful!
We loved the resort. It has a wonderful location, very convienient to most anything you would like to do one the island. The staff was also very frieldly and helpful. Though it was a little pricey, it was well worth it and we found most of the other lodging to be just as expensive.
We do plan on going back with a larger group next time and not over a high season, but we will plan on staying here again and have already recommended it to our friends and family.

THANK YOU OCEAN KEY RESORT!

2 Thank jstallings0801
Louisville, Kentucky
Reviewed December 31, 2009

My wife and I stayed here the week between Christmas and New Years. We usually stay at 4 and 5 star hotels. This hotel has a 5 star price but it is a low to average 4 star property. There are other hotels in the same area that I would check out first before opting for Ocean Key. That being said, our suite was very nice with a great view of the ocean and Mallory Square. However, unless you get a room on the 5th floor your views of Mallory Square and the Ocean are likely to be obstructed by the ever growing palm trees. The bedroom had small non flat screen television not consistent with a 4 star property at 500 bucks a night. We did hear our neighbors from time to time. I think the walls could use some sound proofing.

The staff, all young people under 30 were very helpful. The Hot Tin Roof, the hotel restaurant was outstanding. The Sunset Pier and Bar, also part of the hotel is a fantastic place with terrific live music. No question, you are in the center of the action at Ocean Key, I just didn't think it was worth the $2,200 for the 4 night we stayed there. There are other nice hotels nearby which have lower rates and which would still allow you to visit Mallory Square, view the ocean, hoist a view beers at the Sunset Pier and dine at the Hot Tin Roof.

Tonbridge, England
Reviewed December 30, 2009

We knew this was an expensive hotel when we booked and as we were staying in a few places around Florida we decided to make this hotel our special treat for the holiday. We were not let down. Thanks to Tripadvisor we looked out for some of the complaints on here and have to say that we didn't experience any of them.

We arrived a few minutes before the booking in time and were given vouchers for drinks in what must be one of the best hotel bars anywhere! When we returned, there was a problem with our room and rather than keep us waiting whilst it was fixed, they upgraded us to a larger room on the fourth floor. It was fantastic, clean, spacious and with wonderful views from our balcony out over the harbour and ocean. Our dealings with the staff were always met with a polite, friendly and professional attitude and they all seemed to know there stuff.

This is a great place to stay. The room we had was quite, clean, spacious and well appointed. The hotel is perfectly placed for all the main attractions of the area and is within easy walking distance of some of the best bars, restaurants and shops on the Key. The functional parts of the hotel are well hidden away behind all the greenery and the hotel bar and pier are a real treat. It was nice watching the sunset with a long cold drink listening to music in a great location.

There is no self parking but as everything you will need is so close, then let them park the car and forget about it while you go out and enjoy the fantstic bars of the area.

We would recommend this hotel to anybody and feel safe that they will enjoy it.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank SteveBishop.
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed December 26, 2009

In the age of iPods can there ever be a good reason to have loud music blaring at you in the pool area? To make matters worst it was aweful rock, heavy metal. I asked five times to have it turned down or off over three days. By the fourth day it was still blaring.
I am shocked and dismayed that this was or is a number 4 trip advisor hotel. I have always trusted the trip advisor rating system and I am definitely let down. I would never recommend this hotel. Plus it's in the most busy, noisy tourist area.

• Stayed September 2009