“Fantastic!”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Kodiak Island, Alaska
“Fantastic!”
Reviewed December 12, 2009

I live in Key West, and my husband and I decided to book a mini-honeymoon at one of the local resorts shortly after our wedding. I visited several other resorts in the area before deciding, and Ocean Key was by far the nicest, with the most friendly and personable staff. Some of the other high end hotel/spas I went to were shabby and had an older feel, much in need of updating, or the staff was just not very welcoming. Not the case at Ocean Key. The ocean view room was gorgeous, the pool area beautiful, and overall a very memorable stay. It is on the pricey end, but if you're looking for something special, you won't be disappointed choosing this one!

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Pugga74

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (712)
  • Turkish first
Orlando, FL
Reviewed December 8, 2009

I spent a little over 3 months reading reviews and checking amenities/prices, etc before making the reservation here to celebrate my 39th birthday. We arrived late and the original room we were assigned was undergoing maintenance when we got there. The front desk was very quick to respond and upgraded us to a Jr. Suite, when that room did not have the view we had anticipated and a few other anomalies, again the front desk responded in a timely manner and again upgraded us.

The room was lovely, views of the gulf and we could look up Duval Street into to town. The jacuzzi tub in the room was big enough for two.

The ladies at Spa Terre were wonderful. and the Balinese Massage is worth it. They do not skimp on the alcohol at the pool/Sunset Pier, and the Mojito's and conch fritters were great.

The staff was very friendly, and overall went above and beyond to provide a wonderful guest experience. Though check out time was 11:00 am it was not a problem to have our car loaded up and leave it in the garage while we wandered around town.

The only real issue was upon check out when we were going over the charges. There was a charge for the mini-bar, though we did not partake of any of the mini-bar items. They were good about crediting it back to my account but it took over a week.

I will definetly stay here again, next time with a full ocean view, it would be worth it. Beautiful hotel, great staff, awesome spa experience.

Drove all the way back to Orlando flaoting on a sea of relaxation and Mojito's!!!!!

2 Thank cdsrm43
MD
Reviewed December 4, 2009

Let me start off by saying this is a beautiful resort. Very clean, nice area all the things it should be since it is pricey. Loved it here except we checked out early in the am. and I just glanced at our bill. We were overcharged over $ 2,000.00 on our credit card. I called Sunday when I returned home and compared my confirmation with the actual bill. It is now Friday and they said they credited my account on Monday, but nothing shows up. All they have said is "Sorry, did you go over your bill"? Like it's my fault. Next time, if there is a next time, I will go over it. And they also informed me it will take about 4 days before I see my credit on my account.
I would have given it an excellent rating, but due to the fact I had to find the $ 2000.00 overcharge myself and bring it to their attention and talk to 3 different people in the process, still waiting for credit, I would have to give this high end resort a poor rating.

Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed November 29, 2009

We checked into the hotel yesterday afternoon and we were very kindly upgraded to a Boutique Suite overlooking the water as we wanted something with an ocean view and a little quieter than a street view.
Sean at the front desk was terrific, very helpful, welcoming and friendly.
The room was spectacular - spacious, very nicely appointed, lovely balcony overlooking the ocean and the bathroom layout is superb. There are sliding glass doors on one wall of the bathroom that are next to the whirlpool tub that you can open to enjoy the view of the water while you take a break in the bathtub.
The outdoor pool area and jacuzzi are really very nice, and directly overlook the ocean with boats passing through the area all the time. Here is where we had a little problem, which I'm sure is the exception to the rule, but how the hotel staff handled the issue is very telling of their level of service and care for their guests.
Basically, we were at the jacuzzi for about an hour. Some other people joined us and one of the women in the group was talking about how she wasn't staying at the hotel. They left after about 30 minutes or so. We had been the only ones in the area - when we got out my sandles I'd walked down in had gone.
We spoke with the staff in the area - Sean from the front desk immidiately came up to the room to speak with us and make a note of the incident. We were fine about it really, as sometimes these thing happen and it wasn't his fault. However Sean asked, what can we at the hotel do to make up for this. My friend, somewhat jokingly said, well if we could stay a secod night that would be great. Without hesitation he said - I think we can make that happen for you - and he did. The staff here go out of their way to take care of their hurts and make everyone comfortable and feel welcome. I truly beleieve this is the mark of a real four or five star property.
Would absolutely visit this property again in the future.

2 Thank catack
Sarasota, FL
Reviewed November 26, 2009

We stayed in a Junior Suite with a partial ocean (gulf) view. The rooms were large, decorated in old Florida motiff and somewhat dated but very clean. We had a private dining area on a small deck that overlooked the gulf and the cruise ship dock. We were on the 2nd floor so did not hear noise from the cruise people. The location, 0 Duvall is right across from Mallroy square and the curise ship dock. The noise from Mallory picks up about an hour before sunset and the subsides. Great location with easy access to many attractions and at most is a 20 minute walk to the far end of Duvall.

1 Thank JB729
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed November 18, 2009

I decided upon Ocean Key because of the good reviews, location, and amenities.

Staff was very, very nice during our whole stay! The grounds of the hotel is pretty small/compact. I didn’t see a beach area for swimming which really wasn’t unforeseen nor was it important in my deciding factor on this hotel.

If you have a car, you need to use the valet service to have it parked under the hotel. The cost is $20 a day.

Our room was really nice with a large balcony with partial ocean view, separate living room with a TV, and doors out to the balcony.

Bedroom area had a Jacuzzi, king bed, overhead fan, and TV in armoire. Also doors out to the balcony. The double sink is an added benefit. Bathroom has a shower, but no tub. Robes, shampoo/conditioner, shower gel, soap, coffee/tea are supplied. The room was very quiet and had room darkening blinds which is important for sleeping!

The hotel is a great location at 0 Duval and right next to a CVS where you can buy many items. We walked to everything we wanted to see in the area. The pool is on the smaller scale than what we are typically used to. Very clean and not crowded. The pool water was a nice comfortable temp for swimming, which was important to us. Good pool side service for drinks/food. We were served water at no charge. There was some construction going on while we were there which was quite noisy next to the pool. It would have been nice if they warned their guests ahead of time.

We ate a couple of times at the hotel’s restaurant called the Hot Tin Roof. Great view of the ocean. Food was good. I had the creamed corn plus roasted potatoes which both were excellent. Now their breakfast yogurt smoothie - wasn’t impressed. A café latte with no flavor added was $6.00 and not that great. Way overpriced. The boyfriend had their breakfast croissant and he said it was very good. Greek yogurt with granola was good as well.

Sunset Pier and Bar: This is an added benefit to this hotel. Nicely located right on the water with live music.

Billing: We had 3 errors on our bill on 3 separate occasions which took us 5 times to get it corrected. I looked at my credit card charges after I got home and I see another $3.14 added after we left. I called Ocean Key and they said it was a soda from our mini bar. We didn’t even have any soda from the mini bar. In fact, we left several full cans of soda in the room (same kind as in their mini bar) that we got from the CVS. She gladly said she would credit my account. My advice, get a print-out daily of your bill to make sure you are not charged for something you didn’t have.

All in all, I really like Ocean Key Resort. The resort exceeded my expectations. I would definitely go back.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank lovetotravel46
mohrsville
Reviewed November 18, 2009

Celebrated 40th birthday in Key West at the Ocean Key(along with 15 friends and family).Upon arrival we were upgraded to a 2 bedroom suite with a double balcony that overlooked the ocean.Pretty awesome for our thirteen year old son to have his own balcony.Also 3 other parties we were traveling with were also upgraded to 2 bedroom suites. The following day my brother and sister in law arrived with their 12 yearold and 6 month old baby (she also is my god daughter and soooooo cute),and were also upgraded. Special shout out to Matt the general manager, thank you for the hospitality you and your staff showed to our large party. The suites were well appointed and clean(a huge plus for me cause I am a clean freak). Hot tin roof restaraunt was awesome for the early morning breakfast which my son and his 13 year old friend did partake in every morning. Pool area was very clean and a fun place to hang during the day. Robin at the Liquid Lounge was so very cool and a high light for us .Our drinks were always full and yes the boys virgin daquiris never ran dry! Sunset Pier restaraunt was surprisingly good too> Tuesday night shrimp special was awesome and i hope Ocean Key keeps up this practice. Ocean Key is located at 0 duval, but you feel as if the place is miles away from the craziness of duval (i like to say the fun). The grounds were lush and the colors vibrant and well maintained . The fitness center is very small, no problem because i lifted enough drinks to keep them biceps pumped lol. Thank you Ocean Key and Matt (the general manager). The staff were awesome and that is a direct reflection of the management of this first class resort.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family