“Would stay here again!”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Manteo, North Carolina
“Would stay here again!”
Reviewed March 13, 2005

Just returned from Key West, stayed at the Ocean Key from 3/4 thru 3/9 and I don't have one bad thing to say about the experience. Great rooms, great view, friendly staff, the best location. I can't comment to much on the food however breakfast was good. When we return to Key West we will book the Ocean Key again.

• Stayed March 2005
5 Thank VKM

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (721)
  • Turkish first
New Jersey
Reviewed March 8, 2005

My friends and I just returned from a long weekend. Thought the hotel was everything it was supposed to be. The lobby staff was very friendly and helpful. We had a junior suite overlooking Mallory Square. Loved the veranda off of room. Room was nicely decorated and clean. Being from the Tri-State area we found service to be slow everywhere in KW, not just the hotel, but we expected as much. This hotel is in the best location - you have access to everything you could possibly want to do. Would recommend staying here.

• Stayed March 2005, traveled on business
6 Thank njshoegirl
Reviewed March 7, 2005

I had booked the trip to the Keys a while back. I found a good package for the Ocean Key for $309 a night (which included breakfast, and 3 different tours).

I started to get nervouse before I left after reading some of the reviews... some about the place being dirty, noisy, bad products, bad food, bad service... I really was starting to second guess my choice!

After staying there for 3 nights in February, I haven't one bad thing to say about the place (except for the TV not working too well). The place is beautiful, the staff is GREAT, the views are superb, and the pool is very relaxing!!

If I had three thumbs, I'd have them all up!

Maybe I should include that we're campers....

8 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
CT
Reviewed February 25, 2005

We stayed at the Ocean Key Resort for 4 nights in February. We had the perfect weather. The resort is located right in the heart of the downtown directly on the water. We had an oceanview room, which made a huge difference. If I had a city view in the front I would not have been happy. Spend for a water view. Also, I wish we had a room on a upper floor, you will have a better view. Our room was right above noisy generator which was a nusiance. The pool is lovely and nicely maintained. The breeze off the water feels great, making it nice to have a lovely terrace to sit on. If I returned I would request a higher floor/oceanview/larger terrace. Our room was on end and the patio was smaller which was a disappointment. Bathroom looks very "magazine like" but not terribly functional as a showering bathroom. Nice robes, very pretty decorated room. Ours was a "boutique" suite and I was told this was a newer remodeled room. It was very appealing to the senses, pretty, bright colors. If you are looking for quiet--this hotel is not for you. This overlooks in the back where the cruise ships pull in and dock for the day. Thousands of people walk by the hotel to Mallory Square where all the "Sunset Performers" gather in the evening. There is constant sweeping. power washing, garbage pick up, maintenance in the parking lot behind the hotel. This is very noisy and on vacation I would rather have a quieter environment. It is still a great location to be in the "action" of Key West. A big plus you can walk to many attractions and restaurants. The desk staff is very helpful and friendly. The "Sunset Pier Grill" has an incredible place to sit and look over the boats and Sunset Key. The food is mediocre at best, expensive for what it is, and drinks are small and diluted served in plastic cups. Seems as though, for such a beautiful spot a better food option could be here. Still a lot of positive aspects of this property. Bring your wallet when visiting during winter rates.

7 Thank Siteseekers
Reviewed February 17, 2005

I agree with the other reviews. Paying Four Seasons/Ritz prices for a Holiday Inn.

What we liked:

Close location to sites and attractions
Pool is OK
Good view from room

Did not feel it was comparable to other $500 night hotels we stayed in because:
Deluxe Oceanview Room was tiny so was the linoleum bathroom
Amenities were sparce
Housekeeping was not timely
Room and public facilites were dirty.
Pool bathroom was filthy
Elevators stunk of what smelled to be urine
Need better security around elevators. Could easily access them from the pier and from Mallory Square. Non hotel guests were all around the garage
Service around the pool was slow and sporadic. Never even offered ice water
Service on the pier was just as bad. Slow!!
Construction on the pier was intrusive. Diesel fumes and banging was annoying especially at 9:30 in the AM

Won't be back and can't recommend to family and friends until major improvements are made.

10 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Dothan, Alabama
Reviewed February 7, 2005

We were just there for a six night vacation and although it was a great location, we ran into some issues. They are currently making a fitness room and spa...so the jackhammer was not pleasant at different times of the day! The hammering at 9am was not what I had invisioned for a restful week either. Unfortunately for us, no one mentioned when I made the reservation that there was going to be harbour dredging for the whole time we were there! Very loud and right at the pool and restaurant for breakfast. Rooms were nice but I was just disappointed about all the noise you can hear while in your room. Great view over Mallory square and the sunsets, cruise ships too. Can't believe we couldn't hear these huge ships come in but you could hear people slamming thier doors. The staff was always pleasant but we were dissapointed that they didn't offer us some sort of discount from all the noise. It would of been nice if we were informed about all that was going on before spending sooo much $$$.

7 Thank hjegirl
Reviewed February 3, 2005

Location is everything at this hotel. You can't beat it in Key West. This oceanfront hotel, which is right on the end of Duval Street, are within walking distance to most tourist things in town. And, yes, you do not need a car to go around. Better leave it at the airport and avoid the $18 daily parking fee. The hotel has two sides facing the ocean, one of which faces the cruise ship docks and the other faces the Christmas island and sunset key (Hilton's private island).

The hotel promotes itself on the website as a luxury hotel and it was also part of the Noble House chain. My expectation of this place was high and my experience there was disappointing. This hotel sure feels like a motel.

We had a junior suite facing the ocean and the view was unbeatable. Luckily for us, there was no cruise ship that day so we had the picturesque oceanview from the balcony. Nontheless, when we looked around the room, it looked quirky. The jacuzzi tub was dirty, the sheets did not feel soft, and the bathroom was small. Even the toiletries had a funky coconut smell. Nothing in the room made us feel relaxed and cozy. Quite the opposite, we felt anxious. It was truly a wierd feeling.

The facilities of the hotel felt rundown as well. The pool is tiny and elevator is shabby. The padded mats on the lounge chairs around the tiny pool were there rain or shine.

Overall, I would rate the hotel a 2 star, or maybe a 2.5 on the generous side. 4-star ratings? no way!

10 Thank A TripAdvisor Member