“Best shuttle service”

Ranked #34 of 51 Hotels in Key West
South Kingstown, Rhode Island, United States
“Best shuttle service”
Reviewed March 9, 2013

Recently spent 11 nights at the Sheraton Suites. Room was spacious and clean, great king size comfortable bed. We didn't spend much time at the hotel because we spent a lot of time diving. There is a beach right across the street but it wasn't the best, we ended up going to the beach at Fort Zachary which was much better. Pool at the Sheraton is small. The best part of the Sheraton is the great shuttle service. The drivers were very friendly, knowledgeable and always on time. This is a good hotel just far enough away from all of the activity around Duval St. but it still just a shuttle ride away.

Room Tip: We stayed on the second floor with a few of the beach (across the street) Room was very quiet
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Kathy N
SheratonKeyWest, Manager at Sheraton Suites Key West, responded to this review, March 11, 2013
Dear Guest:

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We are delighted to hear you enjoyed the shuttle service and your time in Key West. Thanks again for the positive review and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Sales and Marketing Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (387)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
New York City, New York
Reviewed March 8, 2013

Hotels in key west can be kind of tricky, depending on what you're looking for. Key West does not have a lot of beaches. A lot of the coastline is rocky. A perfect beach is directly across South Roosevelt Blvd. from the Sheraton Suites. Roosevelt is a four laned road but crossing it was never a problem.

Sheraton Suites also has free parking which is a rarity in Key West. This hotel is not in the middle of downtown so if you're looking for a drunk stumble back to your room from Duval Street, this is not a hotel for you.

Our room was on the corner of the second floor, overlooking the beach. The room opens to a mini-kitchen area with a sink, mini fridge and countertop. The living area was in front complete with a large couch and flatscreen tv. Sliding doors separated the living area from the king sized bed. The balcony with chairs overlooked the ocean as well. The bathroom had a very large tiled shower with the toilet in a room by iteself. The room was very nice and definitely worth the $160ish I paid per night.

The pool is probably the crowning jewel of this hotel. Plenty of chairs were available and the wait staff was very courteous and attentive. My platinum status with SPG earned free breakfast which wasn't anything super special. I like the fact that this hotel isn't in the middle of Duval Street debauchery. We had a car rental so I did not utilize the free shuttle.

I will definitely stay here again. 4 stars.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank InNYfromGA
Dear Guest:

We are delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay with us at the Sheraton Suites and look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed March 7, 2013

Everything is great besides the service. The service ruins the whole entire experience of the hotel. Every single server I had was incredibly rude and unhelpful. The shuttle is the worst. We paid 5 dollar cabs each for 8 people instead of taking the free shuttle because it was so miserable and hard to use. We waited an hour and a half for a shuttle that we were not able to take because it was too crowded. Even though the hotel makes most of their money off of spring breakers, they treat them like scum. I you ever come here for spring break and are under the age of 50, expect horrible service.

• Stayed March 2013
Dear Guest:

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. It is regrettable that your stay with us did not meet your expecations. The Sheraton Suites has four shuttles available at the hotel and it is a very popular service we offer all of our guests which is why we recommend reservations. We sell at a 100% occupancy during the month of March as it is a very busy time. We value all of our guests whether they are spring breakers or not. One of the major purposes of online reviews is to highlight areas for improvement and your feeback provides our hotel with valuable information that we can review to improve on for the future. We will use your comment and review it with the staff as a training tool. Thank you again for taking the time to review our hotel.

Connecticut
Reviewed March 5, 2013

Good location if you want to be by the beach. Traveling to Duval Street not a problem since the hotel offers a shuttle. There is also a small pool onsite that is surprisingly underused making for a quiet afternoon. The staff go out of their way to accomodate any reasonable request in a quiet and efficient manner without any drama. The staff retention must also be high because we recognize some of the same faces over the past five years.

The food is decent and reasonably priced. The breakfast buffet pretty much has everything that is available ala carte less the smoked salmon. If you want eggs prepared other than scrambled just ask and the kitchen will make them.

I would definitely recommend the hotel especially for families or if you do not want to be on Duval Street. If you want to be in walking distance to Lower Duval Street there are plenty of places in Upper Duval but then you are not close to the beach.

One odd thing in the last visit the hotel charged us for the entire stay plus anticipated incidentals in advance. I do not why but now I must not only confirm the charges are correct but also balance with the initial charge?

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
SheratonKeyWest, Manager at Sheraton Suites Key West, responded to this review, March 7, 2013
Dear Guest:

Thank you for taking the time to write this review. We are glad you enjoyed your stay at the Sheraton Suites and time in Key West!

British Virgin Islands
Reviewed March 4, 2013

I won this on priceline for a good deal, so i really didn't know how good it would be. The room itself ended up being very nice. It was a suite with 2 tv's and a couch. There was a small fridge and microwave. The room was laid out really nice. Pool area was okay. We were just there for 1 night, so hard to give a full vacation review for the entire facility. Our only complaint was the check in. We got there at 3pm, but they said check in wasn't till 4, fine. Then we went back and the room still wasn't ready at 415. The staff didn't seem too concerned. Finally my husband went and complained and then they got us in. There was a whole lobby full of people waiting for their rooms also. So whatever they were doing to get things ready, wasn't working. Only other little thing was there was no tub.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest:

Thank you for taking the time to write this review. We are glad to hear you enjoyed your stay at the Sheraton Suites and time in Key West. We use all comments to review with our staff as a training tool. Thanks again for your review!

Burlington, Vermont
Reviewed March 4, 2013

I stayed here for 6 nights, five days. We had the double queen suite (there was 3 people in my party). The location was excellent. It was right across the (somewhat busy) street from Smathers beach. This is the main beach in Key West, so it is usually pretty busy. It offers rentals of boats, chairs, windsurfers, kayaks, and a concession stand. This isn't the best beach in the keys in terms of appearance (the beaches in the other keys are much more attractive). The hotel offers a shuttle service into town. I used this quite a bit. It drops you off right near the Conch Republic Seafood Company (as well as many of the resteraunts on the water). It is a short walk from the shops and the main part of town. The actual rooms were very spacious. There was a living area with a couch and flatscreen TV, and then double doors leading into the bedroom (which also had a TV). The bathroom was also very nice. The pool was amazing, and was lit up in blue and green colors at night. The waterfall was also a nice touch. The lobby was a bit small, but the service was great. Overall, I had a great experience with this hotel and would stay there again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest:

Thank you for taking the time to write this review. We are thrilled to hear you enjoyed your stay at the Sheraton Suites and look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Fort Myers Beach, Florida
Reviewed March 3, 2013

My husband and 2 children and I stayed here recently. We even got to check in a couple hours early which we really appreciated! The positives.....,,loved the very large suite! We had 2 queen beds and a pull out sofa bed. Not sure if it was new. Plenty of space. Very large vanity area with lots of cupboards. We had a tub shower combo, so we did not have the huge shower some people mentioned. A microwave and fridge were in the room, something we always want in our hotel room. I liked the pocket doors to close off the bedroom from the other rooms for privacy. You can open the windows, which is a nice option. Everything was clean and neat. All supplies in the room, but they did not replenish any supplies after we opted to not have our room cleaned. We asked for more coffee but did not get more water, nor was it offered. We got the $5 credit. We were only there 2 nights so only could get that credit once.

Ate 2 meals in the Coral Crab restaurant on site. A little pricey for breakfast buffet, but it was good. Martin was our server both mornings and was very polite and professional. He went out of his way to help. Kudos! Other employees pleasant as well.

As far as the not so good....we had trouble getting the shuttle from the hotel. The concierge said the driver of the shuttle from the airport was taking people downtown, and he insisted to us he wasn't. We even told the concierge that the driver said he was not taking guests downtown. She insisted he was and that he was about to leave. Minutes ticked by past 1:30, the supposed departure time, and the shuttle sitting there did not leave and a new one did not come. We finally took our own car and paid $25 to park in a lot downtown. We did not try the Sheraton shuttle again. We cannot chance getting stuck downtown with 2 young children.

The carpet in our room looked dirty. On Sunday morning at 7:30 am we heard all kinds of banging and slamming noises somewhere below us. It continued for a good 15 minutes or more. Luckily we were already awake and starting our day or I would have been really angry at being woken in such a rude way. It is inexcusable as it is. We were on the 2nd floor not too far from the lobby, and I think it may have been housekeeping people loading their carts, but I can't say for sure. Our room opened directly outside, while some rooms are in an inside hallway. A very confusing lay out! I am a SPG member, but there was nothing special given at check in such as a snack. I got a complimentary room upgrade according to Noor, but I'm not sure I got a very good location. Outside the door you can walk right outside onto the walkway and see a courtyard, but the windows faced the parking lot and we were close to employee areas and service elevator. I have never been to this Sheraton, so it's hard to say. I don't think the hotel was full because the rooms that fit my room description were going for under $300 online the days I was there. I booked in advance for over $300.

All in all I was pleased with the Sheraton Suites. I did not use the pool or hot tub, but my family did and they enjoyed it. Cloudy weather and all. Comfy large rooms. I loved having a suite with plenty of room. A big plus. I also liked the location. Away from the Duval St. Madness and across from a beach. There was also a couple of playgrounds down the road. There is a lot more room to move at this section of Key West. I saw employees cleaning inside and out during the day.

A final word re SPG. As I was making this booking in January, any type of deal such as 35% off, pay your birthday year, stay a night and get a discount on the second night (which would have been incentive for me to book an additional night as one of my nights was already free), were conveniently not available. I have encountered this before with SPG online, and got nowhere using a rep on the phone. I don't know why SPG has offers that people cannot appear to in fact use. Club Carlson is MUCH more user friendly and easy to actually get the deals offered. I don't think I will be staying at another Starwood property any time soon. It is too frustrating to try and get their deals, just to be told over and over again that your travel dates don't work!

• Stayed March 2013
SheratonKeyWest, Manager at Sheraton Suites Key West, responded to this review, April 3, 2013
Dear Guest:

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We are glad to hear you enjoyed your suite and location across the street from the beach. The shuttle is a popular service and we recommend reservations. The month of March is peak season for Key West and the hotel generally runs at a 100% occupancy during this time. Special offers may not be available during peak season. Gold and Platinum SPG members are given a welcome amenity at check in. Thanks again for taking the time to review our hotel.