“Going Downhill”

Ranked #18 of 51 Hotels in Key West
Fort Lauderdale
“Going Downhill”
Reviewed October 8, 2006

Basically, no one asked if a room by where they were doing noisy construction(most of the waterfront rooms balconies)and the whole back stairwell was ok with us until we noticed it walking out to beach area and said something.Two hours later we got a room on third floor where there was supposedly less noise, and still didn't get the refrigerator I had requested. We were told work was only from 10-4 and would only last for one more day, when it was actually 8-6 and work was still going on days later after we left. It was so windy (high seas) this first week of October that we were stuck at the hotel beach listening to noisy construction, looking at construction men, and smelling balcony sealant the whole time we were there, and dealing with extremely rude and obnoxious, beach chair boys. Not at all the pleasant and relaxing Pier House that we remembered coming to over the years. The manager had said he would get back to me on Thursday after I had gone to him after the second beach chair man was so verbally rude, and he never did, and he was conveniently off Friday on checkout. The check out staff didn't apologize or even offer to have the manager call me . They must have new management and are going downhill. I recommend staying at the a larger hotels like the Ocean Key or Westin nearby where even if they are doing some construction you can get away from it easier , and offer much better customer service for the same rate ! And maybe first find out what level of construction they are doing, at the Ocean Key they were just painting the balcony railings for example not drilling or sanding off the surface of the balconies and steps, then applying a chemical sealant.

• Liked — Nice size room only upgraded to due to construction noise problem we noticed after arriving.
  • Disliked — Lack of respect and honesty received from front desk staff to the beach chair boy,to manager.
  • Tips/Secrets — Go bigger like Ocean Key or Westin, nearby for same price, get more for your money.
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank edepaul

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (665)
  • Hungarian first
new jersey
Reviewed October 4, 2006

My husband and I went to Key West the end of September 2006. It was one of the best vacations we ever had. The Pier House was absolutely beautiful. The staff was helpful and pleasant. I can't understand how anyone could have given this hotel a bad review. My husband and I couldn't find one thing wrong with it and believe me my husband is fussy! We stayed in a standard room and it was more than adequate. Considering you are hardly in the room. The small beach was great! I don't think there is another hotel that has a beach and it was nice to be able to hang out there. The food was excellent at the Duval Restaurant. The pool and spa were clean and a nice size. The best is where the Pier House is located it is right at the end of Duvall Street and you are in walking distance of everything. You have to check out the bar Sloppy Joes it's a fun place, good bands. If this is your first time going to Key West, Duvall Street is where all the action is. You can just walk from bar to bar drinking or store to store shopping. Don't forget to go to the Sunset Deck Bar at the Pier House for a drink and to watch the sunset, it's beautiful and romantic. I wouldn't suggest going to Mallory Square for the sunset unless you are looking for chaos which is what you will find there with all kinds of magicians and crazy performers and if a cruise ship comes in you won't see much of the sunset. We had a lot of fun and we can't wait to go back.

• Liked — Location Location Location
  • Disliked — Can't think of anything
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple
3 Thank freemach
NEPA
Reviewed August 27, 2006

I wasn't crazy to go to Key West with the kids but was up for an adventure so we joined another family and went for three nights. I picked the Pier House based on reviews here and the fact it had a small beach a rarity on the island.

I'm so glad we went!

Due to some renovations we were upgraded to an ocean front room and the other family got a suite. We were both very happy. The front desk was wonderfully attentive and always helpful.

The bed's were heavenly. Extremely comfortable and the air conditioning perfect. A small downside is the air conditioning exhaust is on the patio, making the 90 degree heat all that much hotter.

We ate in at the pool restaurant twice and despite it being offseason and the restaurant empty, the food was very good. The french fries were excellent. The staff was very friendly and great with the kids.

The beach area is quite small but there is a floating dock the kids enjoyed and it was all that we needed. One small downside is the lack of shade. However, since we were the only customer's at the bar/snack area she let us stay there since we could watch the kids from there. The only other shady area was the topless beach directly under the rooms and although no one was topless we didn't want to risk it.

The pool was heavenly and not at all crowded. The grounds were gorgeous and the location was perfect. The Pier House or the Ocean Key Resort across the street have the best location on the Island. Steps from everything yet there is no noise whatsoever. Once you cross onto the grounds you feel you've gone miles for the crowds on Duval St.

Although we booked a garden room next time I'll spend the extra and get the Ocean view like we ended up with. I enjoyed my coffee looking out at the sailboats docked offshore. It isn't the typical Ocean view like Miami, ect. but just a s enjoyable.

• Liked — Location
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled with family
4 Thank Marykatesmom
Greenville, SC
Reviewed July 24, 2006

Our first stay at the Pier House, having stayed twice at The Ocean Key House some years ago, (before it was re-modelled), and once at The Curry Mansion Inn.
We had a great stay, notwithstanding some average service at check-in/front desk and at The Chart House Bar. We put this as much down to the general style of doing things in Key West as opposed to a specific problem at The Pier House. Housekeeping did an excellent job.
There are some parts of the resort that could do with some renovation, but everything was clean that we came into contact with. Gardens are superb.
"Free" use of the spa excercise room and steam room was great. Facility was quiet and spotless.
Ate breakfast twice at One Duval and dinner twice also. Excellent on all occasions. Good after dinner entertainment.
To us there is inherent value in staying at a full service, self-sufficient resort. We love to be out on Duval but sometimes it is just nice to be able to take a break and kick back in-house.

• Liked — New linens, hardwood floors
  • Disliked — Bathroom a little dayed
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank SCFunTraveler
PA
Reviewed June 27, 2006

My husband and I and our two teenagers stayed at the Pier House for two nights. We had a lovely room, bedding and beds were beautiful. However, the room was extremely small. We had trouble finding spots for all of our luggage. The bathroom is teeny tiny. Just enough room to turn around. There was only enough room to hang a few towels. The room would have been fine for two but for four people, I thought it was quite cramped.

We had a garden courtyard room on the first floor. There were two chairs and a small table outside of our sliding door. It was very nice to sit out and enjoy the beautifully maintained gardens. I was amazed by all of the lovely tropical flowering plants. The gardens were outstanding.

The pool was smallish, for such a large hotel but well cared for, we had no trouble finding chairs. The beach, too, was smallish, but the sand was lovely, fine and white.

There is a CVS across the street which was very convenient. The boardwalk near the hotel takes you along the water and docked boats and leads to many little bars and restaurants. The location is great if you want to be right on Duval where the action is.

• Stayed June 2006
4 Thank thewins2
Washington, DC
Reviewed June 5, 2006

We stayed during Fantasy Fest (this is a late add, since I just found out about Trip Advisor, but I think helpful to those who may go for Fantasy Fest in the future). I was worried about finding the right hotel and having beach access and the Pier House was perfect. My husband found the place from a Key West expert and we had it booked 9 months in advance. The pools were lovely and beach was small but nice.

I was worried about the craziness of Fantasy Fest, since I really don't enjoy that stuff, but being at the Pier House made it nice. We got to attend the Pretenders in Paradise party/costume event, which was a whole different side to the event and very nice. The hotel was very specific about beach access and changes to the hotel property leading up to the event and tore down the stage very quickly after. We got to see the talent rehearse which was fun too and some of the celebrities that attended. I enjoyed having the hotel close to the parade route to see all the floats and people. It was neat to watch. My husband enjoyed venturing out to Duval Street to see the people and costumes at night - for the most part it was just people dressing up in costume and entertaining but there were some seedy people and lots of guys running around with lighted video cameras trying to get people on tape who were behaving badly. For me, I could watch for an hour or so, then it got boring. There was a street fair with vendors one afternoon as well that a lot of people seemed to enjoy.

You are paying for privacy and beach access at this hotel. Most of the hotels at this time of year are geared toward the partiers and just have pools. This is probably one of the nicest hotels on the island with the best service available on the island. Remember this is a laid back place with a different pace. The hotel staff were friendly and offered lots of recommendations on places to eat and see. The beach is not big, but nice. I enjoyed having drinks and lunch (try the conch friitters) delivered to me at the beach every day, while there for five days. We took advantage of the fridge rental and stocked up on water, beer, mixers, and wine to enjoy without having to add to our bar bill. No one ever looked strangely at us. We enjoyed breakfast at the market place one morning, but mostly ventured out for other meals to local type places. I would love to go back and eat a 1 Duval Street at Sunset and Blue Moon, which we were unable to get into at that time. The property was close to everything, though we rented bikes for a few days to see more of the island. We enjoyed the Hemmingway House, Smathers Beach, the Lighthouse. We parked our car at the hotel and only moved it a couple times - this is a walking town.

Also recommend going to see the view from one of the taller hotels to see the whole island. We loved the local artists and bought a lot of art from street vendors near the southernmost point. They are nice reminders of out time here. I loved the unique jewelry at the Emerald Lady, and hope to go back and get some pirate booty there some day.

Our room was fine - on the first level of the garden near the pool. I was a little worried about security especially with all going on at the hotel and in town, but we had no problems. We wanted a King bed, but oly two doubles were available. The bedding could be upgraded at a place like this though. We had a nice terrace and the room was thoroghly cleaned daily.

I would definately go back, not sure about Fantasy Fest again, but I think my husband will insist upon it. I don't think there is any better place to stay in Key West and would look forward to staying at the Pier House again.

• Stayed October 2003
10 Thank bbgak
Miami
Reviewed June 1, 2006

June 2, 2006

I stayed at the Pier House, in a duplex suite that was just awful. The room smelled badly and the bathroom was so dirty and full of hair that we had to call housekeeping...
The next day we changed to a regular room that was nicer but also very poorly mantained and for $500 bucks we could get a better deal in a better hotel!!!

• Stayed February 2006