“Worst "resort" on the gulf”

Pier House Resort & Spa
Ranked #17 of 51 Hotels in Key West
Reviewed November 14, 2009

I have stayed at the Pier House 5 times in the past. The first being in 1994. The quality and the service at the resort has taken a nose dive. I booked my room for 10 days including the Power Boat Race Week last November. I requested the Deluxe Ocean Front first floor. Upon arriving (Friday)I was placed on the third floor and told I could not get the first floor until the following Thursday. I found the room to be okay, but with limited supplies. The have glass bathroom doors, so if someone needs to use the bathroom in the middle of the night the whole room is illuminated. The halls echo everyone's voices, so a good night's sleep is impossible.The balcony, sidewalks, elevators, stairwells, and pool area were filthy. They claim to have a business center which consist of one slow computer that always had someone conducting lengthly business on so that you had to keep coming back to print your boarding passes. I saw the same trash for three days in a row by the ice machine. The pool bar service was the only good service at the hotel. The front desk had a problem speaking English most of the time. For the cost of this room I expected more. I have already booked next year's stay at the Westin. The Pier House is not the luxury resort it used to be....what a shame.

Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple
9  Thank ChesapeakeCrabs

Reviewed November 13, 2009

We arrived Saturday Nov 7th for 5 nights - check-in went easy - upgraded room to the Caribbean Spa building - We really enjoy staying here (this was our 2nd time at the Pier) third time in Key West - Hotel staff are always friendly - houskeeping does a great job to include nightly turn down service - Geniene at the outside bar is one of the best bartenders in Key West - had a opportunity to watch the first day of the International Power Boat races which run right by the beach side of the hotel. Will book again for sure next year -

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Pat D
Reviewed October 8, 2009

A wonderful hotel, beautiful, lovely gardens, and a perfect location. Within easy walking distance of Duval St- the hot spots for great little shops and bars and restaurants and clubs. Also a short walk to the beautiful pier and the fabulous sunsets. From the pier we were able to take trips for snorkeling, kayaking, sailing and sightseeing too!

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank pakpman
Reviewed September 27, 2009

I just came back from Key West where I stayed at Pier House for 7 days. I absolutely loved every minute of it. Hotel is very clean, staff pleasant and views just breathtaking. I booked my flight with a hotel through expedia where I got a room with a balcony, although upon arrival I wasn't satisfied with the view-facing the pool. I upgraded my room to an ocean,. beach view for only additional 60 bucks a day. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The only negative I can say about the stay was that coffee wasn't replaced every time room was checked, so I would have to call the front desk other than that, I loved morning sun tanning on the beach where servers would come to me if I would like something to eat and drink. Prices are reasonable I must say, not expensive at all. I would love to come back in a near future. Thank you Pier House for beautiful memories. See you soon ! :)

Stayed: September 2009, traveled with friends
4  Thank velveta79
Reviewed September 25, 2009

I stayed at The Pier House Resort and Caribbean Spa, Key West from Sept 14-19, 2009.
I have to say, before departing I read some reviews with negative comments, and after returning, I don’t understand how anyone could have a negative review of this hotel.
I arrived around 6 pm on Monday and check-in was smooth and pleasant. I had booked my flights and hotel through Expedia.com and there was only one choice of room type
available (basic). When I checked in I asked if I could get the best room in that price range and they gave me a nice room overlooking the center courtyard/garden with a king bed. It had easy access to the front desk, pool, restaurants, and the beach. They even had a security guard tote my bags up to the room for me. The piano bar was closed for remodeling, but everything else was in working order. The lush tropical vegetation made for a beautiful view from my balcony as well as while walking down the pathways. The air conditioning thermostat was easy to access to adjust the temperature as needed. The walk-in shower was lovely with the huge shower head suspended from the ceiling and it had a small seat. There were wonderful clean fluffy white towels in abundance. The room even had a large flat screen TV and a small refrigerator. And yes, there is a CVS Pharmacy across the street, very handy! The resort location is perfect. One block to Mallory Square, 1 ½ blocks the other way to the Harbor/Wharf boardwalk, and easy access to the western end of Duval Street. There is also a boat tour operator right outside the property for glass bottom boat tours, sunset cruises and snorkeling trips. The only slightly negative comment I have is that the pool water temperature was HOT, not refreshing at all. I ate at the Harborview Café several times for breakfast and had snacks brought to me at the pool. Service was good, the food was great, and the view fantastic! The beach is smallish, but beaches in Key West are rare. They bring in sand from the Bahamas. The size of the beach was fine for the amount of people using it. I didn’t spend any time in the cigar bar (air-conditioned and enclosed), it was too smoky for me, but it seemed nice. The concierge, Todd Berlin, was helpful when I asked questions and he helped me to confirm my outgoing flights before I left. I also used the wake-up call service, which worked fine. I never walked past the front desk when someone didn’t say “hi” and ask if they could help with something. There had been previous reviews that commented on the noise heard outside their room. I didn’t hear much while the air-conditioning fan was on, but I did hear an occasional door open or close. All in all, everything was clean, comfortable, and hospitable. I just can’t see why the listed room prices are $600.00 per night. The Expedia price I paid was much more like I would expect. Location=the best, service=great, price=expected

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled solo
2  Thank TashainMexico
Reviewed September 11, 2009

Pier House Resort was a great choice to stay at Key West. Would recommend it to anyone whose is going there for a vacation. What makes it great is its location, It is right on Duval street and walking distance to all the water activities boarding stations. I went there for my birthday and stayed one week. The staff upgraded my room to ocean view room for my birthday. Very nice of them to do so. Stayed at a great room with GREAT view of the GULF. Rooms were really clean. They have their own private beach and bar. Best of all, no resort fee, no parking fees and free wireless internet from your room. The concierge "TODD" recommended a lot of different activities and helped booking them. The price and the trips that he recommended were GREAT.
Overall, CLEAN rooms, GREAT locations, FRIENDLY staff.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
3  Thank christyliu99
Reviewed September 9, 2009

To have both a beach and a pool in a Key West hotel, especially in the heart of the action on Duval street , is a wonderful thing. The food was very good. We especially enjoyed the lobster BLT. The fish at the beach were beautiful. No need to go to an aqarium! The staff were very helpful and the hotel itself was clean and modern. It would have been nice to have free internet, but that was our only complaint. We would definitely stay there again. Mallory Square businesses and it's sunset entertainment, jet ski rentals and boat excursions, Mel Fisher's museum, the trolley and the Conch Train were all within a block. We'd recommend the trolley as it is $29 pp for the day. It makes 12 stops and comes around every 1/2 hour. It is a great way to bar hop or sight-see. No need to rent a car here! A taxi ride to the airport at the end of your stay is only $8.00pp.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled with family