“Good, not great. Might try a different hotel next time.”

Pier House Resort & Spa
Ranked #18 of 51 Hotels in Key West
St. Louis, Missouri
“Good, not great. Might try a different hotel next time.”
Reviewed August 1, 2009

Location is good, hotel was clean, our room was clean, bathroom clean but not "spotlessly clean". The outside steps to our second floor room were worn and slippery - my husband and I tripped on the same step, different days - dry steps, not rainy or wet. Service is fair, and there is a language problem in the restaurant, the result being one didn't always get what was ordered. The front desk staff is cordial, but not particularly helpful. We were told we could buy conch train tickets at the front desk, but the clerk said, "yeah, you could get them here, but why don't you just go down to the corner and get them, it's just as easy". Easy for who? There is free use of a computer in the lobby to print boarding passes.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank flights

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (685)
  • Hungarian first
illinois
Reviewed July 28, 2009

great hotel, steps from everything key west. room was very nice, as was the pool and small beach. ate at the resturant once a day and was very happy. drank at the outdoor bar at night and was very happy, bartenders were great and very helpful. resort is close to everything and we walked all over the island, never needed a cab. has a nice pier also to view sunsets--no nearly as crowded as mallory square. cuban resturant up town was really good and waiter helpful. can't wait to go again. kind of expensive though.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with friends
3 Thank cheri59
Texas
Reviewed July 27, 2009

My husband and I stayed a the Pier House for a couple of days in July 2009. I had read the reviews and chose to stay here because it seemed to be the only resort that was walking distance to Duvall and had a useable beach area. Great decision, this place is absolutely wonderfull. The staff are wonderful, helpful and very courteous. The beach is very nice although very small. I realize now that there are really not any nice or well taken care of beaches in Key West. I was satisfied with the beach at Pier House, more so after walking around the neighboring resorts and their "beaches". The resort is quiet and upscale, but once you go out the entry you are immediately on Duvall and everything there is within easy walking distance.
Regarding all the bad reviews about the wireless internet access, we stayed in room 271 and had absolutely not problem with the internet. I was able to connect each and every time. I would recommend this resort to my closest friend, I have absolutely no complaints.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
4 Thank pupsmom
Germantown
Reviewed July 23, 2009

Pier House was definitely a hit with me. I often travel solo to Key West and loved the location for easy access to my favorite downtown haunts. I also loved that it's a couple blocks from the hub-bub and quiet when you need it. The beach area was gorgeous and swimming in the gulf was fantastic! My lanai room was nicely appointed and very close to the pool /beach. Food and drink are slightly high, but no moreso than other nice properties in the area.

The negatives were: in spite of what they say, there is NO internet service in the rooms. The beach bar had access but once you went back to the room, it was gone. I asked many of the guests and we all experienced the same thing. The topless beach area is a nice amenity but it's surrounded by bushes (I'm guessing they were required to do this) which totally ruins the gulf view. The only other problem I had was my refirgerator was turned all the way down and there was no obvious way to adjust it. I called maintenance and they pulled the unti from the cabinet and turned it up - the control was in the back. Not a huge issue, just an annoyance.

Overall, I would rate my stay there excellent and in fact, I'll be back in October!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled solo
3 Thank bobkatt
Lake Mary, FL
Reviewed July 12, 2009

We loved our stay at the Pier House Resort! Our room was overlooking the beautiful gardens and pool. The room was very clean and the decor was so Key West! The bathroom was big and gorgeous...now, how many times can you say that about a hotel? The service was wonderful. The chef even cooked our catch from our fishing adventure that Todd, the concierge, recommended. We will definitely stay there again!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank gr8trn
New Orleans, LA
Reviewed July 6, 2009

A friend recommended this hotel when our favorite condos didn't have openings. Wow! As soon as you enter the property, all is calm and elegant. Free parking close to all rooms. Convenient location right on Duvall St. but so quiet, you never hear all the commotion. I recommend you spend the extra for a view on the water. It was great watching the beautiful sunsets daily w/o leaving the comfort of our room. Room was beautiful and large. Great bathroom shower and other amenities. Private beach and staff were great. Dinner overlooking the water was peaceful and delicious. A real winner!

Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank alandg
Tennessee
Reviewed June 21, 2009

We booked a trip to Key West through Travelocity and stayed at the Pier House. It was recommended to us by a friend who travels to Key West often.

We grabbed a taxi from the airport - $8.00 per person. Pier House does has free parking though if you choose to rent a car. You won't need a car if you are planning on staying in Key West the entire trip. Our room was in the spa building. We had a beautiful end room so it was a little more spacious than some of the other king rooms, there was lots of natural light and we did have a view of the water. However, the views of everything else between the building and the water was not picturesque to say the least. We were overlooking the maintenance yard (ladders, dumpster, etc). It didn't bother us - but I know some would be disappointed. Also, the garbage truck (3:30 AM) is abnoxious!

Another issue that would be of interesting note is the rooster. I know others have mentioned it in their reviews, but I can say - I have experienced the rooster. He is up by 4:30 every morning and crows constantly. Unfortunately, the island is covered with roosters and chickens and I am told that you can hear them everywhere in the morning. If you want to stay here, you might ask about a room as far away from him as possible.

We enjoyed their beach area a couple of times and the beachside bar. The food and service was great. The beach is small, but having a beach area is a rare priviledge in Key West. The pool is small also, but when it is too hot to be anywhere but in the water, you are glad for anything.

Free Wi-Fi was NOT available in our room, but I could access it in the lobby of our building and also at the beach/pool area (only two places I used it).

We had no issues during our stay or checking in/out - they were great. They offered to call a cab for us very early in the morning the day we left. Overall we were pleased with Pier House and would stay there again.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple