“Everything was outstanding”

Ranked #20 of 51 Hotels in Key West
Montana
“Everything was outstanding”
Reviewed June 7, 2014

I can't say enough about the Pier House. This was our first trip to Key West May 25-30, 2014. Although I did a lot of online research, we couldn't have picked a better location in Key West to stay. We were across the street from a CVS to stock up on beverages (room has a mini fridge), beach towels, snacks, or whatever. We were a 3 minute walk to Mallory Square for the sunset every night. One block away from the beginning of all the action on Duval Street. We had a standard room which was great because it was located in the interior of the resort, thus, no noise from Duval Street. The beds, wow! I wish I could have taken the bed and pillows home with us. I haven't slept that good in ages. Service from the staff was outstanding and were more than willing to help out with any question or problem we may have had. We are from Montana so any ocean view is great to us and we experienced that by eating breakfast at One Duval at waterfront in the resort. Staying at this place, we had no need for a car rental and other than the trolley we took the first day as a tour of the town, we only needed a cab to and from the airport. We were very happy with the Pier House.

Room Tip: Rooms on the interior of the resort are very quiet at night.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Joe D, General Manager at Pier House Resort & Spa, responded to this review, June 15, 2014
Thank you for your feedback and I am glad that the Pier House made your stay a memorable one. I encourage all of our guest to visit our website as you will find that best available rate for any period of time there. Our in house reservationist are ready to answer any questions that you may have. And yes, the reservations team is located at the Pier House. I look forward to seeing you soon.

Joe Dantoni

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (665)
  • Hungarian first
Connecticut
Reviewed June 7, 2014

For those of you researching and trying to determine where to stay for your trip to Key West, STOP looking and BOOK the Pier House! We just returned from our 7th stay at this hotel and as usual it was fabulous!

- Location, Location, Location
The Pier House is located in the heart of old town on the side of Duval where everything happens. It is tucked away though so when you want to get away from the action, it’s a little retreat from it all. You can easily walk to anything and everything you want to see.

- Beach
The Pier House has a small but perfect beach. It’s a great place to spend the day lounging in the sun and playing in the water. You can easily snorkel from the beach and there are many fish to see.

- Tropical Feel
The grounds are lush and rich in trees and tropical plants. When on the property you do not even realize Duval is a few steps away.

- View of the Sunset
Truly the best place to watch the sunset from the beach or from the pier without swarms of people.

The new management of the property is making small improvements. They have all new beach chairs and took down the beach desk to provide additional sandy beach space. While we were there we watched them install a larger awning over the restaurant too. We hope that the new management will develop the pier area for guests only. Make it where we could order drinks and enjoy the view during sunset time! Just a suggestion..

1 thing we were disappointed with is that in the past, we were able to pull a couple of chairs onto the beach in the evening to sit and watch the sunset or even better late at night we’d pull a couple chairs over to the waters’ edge to sit and relax and listen to the ocean sounds before bed. It’s not so easy to do this now and it took a bit away from the enjoyment of the property for us. It’s something we really enjoyed doing.

Also, it’s unfortunate but with Simonton Beach next door gaining popularity due to the new little Lagerhead’s restaurant, we watched people every day swim from Simonton Beach to the float in the Pier House Beach water. I know the ocean is the ocean and I’m not sure how Pier House can control it but every day non-guests took over the float for a few hours. Perhaps new signs can be posted on the buoys between Pier House and Simonton? Not sure but this was disappointing for us too when we wanted to use the float and were unable to do so due to “invaders”. LOL

We also saw many non-guests try to use the beach… some successful and others not. I think Pier House should come up with a beach pass or something that must be shown each day for beach/pool use.

Most times, the beach guys were really on it and turned cruise passengers and other non-guests away but it isn’t 100% fool proof. We watched a group of 4 people enjoy the beach for 2 days. We assumed they were guests as well. The 3rd day, the opposite beach guy caught on and refused them. We couldn’t believe they weren’t guests since they were there with us the first couple days. These 4 were so upset and we heard them say they would sneak back later. (Hey .. who could blame them.. I mean it is a fabulous place! But… )

Anyway, I do not fault the beach guys they work so hard. It’s just too much for them. I think there needs to be a pass or something created to take this burden from them.

I want to take a moment to acknowledge the 2 beach employees who are just awesome: Dima & Erwin

These 2 work so hard to ensure you are having a good time on your vacation. They are generally friendly, nice people and truly make a difference. I hope management will acknowledge them for the good work they do.

Overall, it was another fabulous stay at Pier House and we definitely plan to return.

Room Tip: The Harbor View Ocean Front rooms are by far the best. If you can't get one of those stay in th...
3 Thank Sunryz710
Thank you for your loyalty and I am glad that the Pier House is your preferred resort in Key West. THank you for your feedback and I was not aware of the next door beach guest swimming to our pier. I will take care of this and we always try to monitor the beach. It can become challenging but I think we do a pretty good job. I look forward to meeting you on your next visit.

Reviewed June 5, 2014

We stayed at Pier House for our first trip down to Key West and I know it won't be our last. We had a beautiful trip and our experience was enhanced by our stay here. The pool and private beach are fabulous amenities, with very attentive service at both. Dimitri was especially friendly and helpful with setting up our beach chairs, towels, and making sure we had everything we needed. We ate at the outdoor bar a few times and really enjoyed our food. Great snacks and Pier House rum punch...I miss it already.

Our room was 201, which had a nice balcony looking into the greenery. I did call earlier that week to make sure we had a room away from the parking lot, and they accommodated us. The room was kept clean and the hallway was quiet. The beds were very comfortable and the pillows were good quality – we slept very well. The concierge was also helpful in setting up bike rentals and a snorkeling trip for us, which was easily added to our room tab. The location is perfect. Located right at the end of Duval, it's easy to get anywhere in town but is tucked away enough to be a quiet retreat.

Overall I felt the value of our stay was excellent. So many amenities for the price we paid. To top off our trip, my fiancé proposed on the beach on our last night there. We'll have very fond memories of our trip and can't wait to come to celebrate some anniversaries!

Room Tip: We liked our room, 201 - it was a handicapped room and had a large bathroom
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
I want to thank you for sharing a memorable experience with us and for selecting the Pier House as your new home away from home. I am glad that you took advantage of all of the amenities of the property and please visit our website so that on your next trip to the Pier House you can select your spa treatment. I look forward to seeing you soon.

Grand Forks, North Dakota
Reviewed June 5, 2014 via mobile

This was our 3rd time back to KW but 1st time at this resort. Service was great and everyone was friendly. The beach is small but clean and nice for swimming. The wait staff at the beach are excellent and timely. This is close to Duval but still quiet and relaxing. We plan on coming back here next time we are in KW. They even grilled the fish my husband caught on his fishing trip which was wonderful.

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for staying at the Pier House Resort and Spa and I am glad that you have made the Pier House your preferred resort in Key West. I havve a great team and we look forward to taking care of any of your needs. I look forward to seeing you soon.

Findlay, Ohio
Reviewed June 4, 2014

I surprised my husband for our 25th anniversary with a trip to Key West. I randomly picked the Pier House to stay at. What a wonderful choice. Rooms where gorgeous. We stayed in a Lanai. Very quite. The grounds was beautifully landscaped. Took tons of pictures of the flowers in bloom. The bar and resturant were great. The best place I found was under the upper rooms on the west side. My husband and I was the only two there to take in the magnificant sunset view. Everyone else was packed in at the dock area. I can't wait to visit the Pier House again. Staff was wonderful.

Room Tip: I loved the Lanai room but if you want a view, pick one on the Ocean side.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for letting us share in a great occasion with you and your husband. I hope you make the Pier House Resort and Spa your preferred hotel of choice on your next visit. For the best rates, please visit our website as we will always have the best available rate for any period posted there. I look forward to meeting you on your next visit.

Land O Lakes, Florida
Reviewed May 31, 2014

For our 26th anniversary, the wife and I spent three nights in Key West. We were fortunate enough to stay in a Dockside Suite (Room 810) at the Pier House. The accommodations were beautiful and well maintained. The view was spectacular. All during our stay, the hotel staff was pleasant, attentive to our needs yet allowed us our privacy as well. This resort's location is perfect as it is in walking proximity to two marinas for water sports. All aspects of the fun of Duval Street are within easy walking distance as well. Without a doubt, we will stay at the Pier House the next time we make a Key West trip.

Room Tip: For my money, the dock side suite was well worth the additional cost. We were in Room 810 (second f...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Joe D, General Manager at Pier House Resort & Spa, responded to this review, June 4, 2014
Thank you for staying at the Pier House Resort and Spa and I am glad that we met your expectations. I hope you make it back to Key West sooner than later and my team looks forward to taking care of you on your next visit.

Naples, Florida
Reviewed May 31, 2014

We have stayed at the Pier House a number of times and looked forward to returning. It is perfectly situated at the end of Duval Street, next to the sunset pier with its own private beach, unique for an in town hotel. I reserved a junior suite to enjoy a little more space. To our disappointment, the room was across the parking lot in the spa building. Our balcony sat on the roof of the spa, looking over a tar shingle surface with no vegetation to soften the experience. There were only 3 of these rooms and we were given one. The balcony was rendered useless. In addition, when we arrived we were told the fitness center was being renovated. A disappointment again with little acknowledgement from management. It is nice place to stay, with a comfortable feel and great location but check first where your room is.

Room Tip: Best to stay in the main complex near the pool, beach and restaurant. There are rooms facing the co...
3 Thank Schapman73
Joe D, General Manager at Pier House Resort & Spa, responded to this review, June 2, 2014
Thank you for your feedback and I for staying at the Pier House Resort and Spa. I do apologize that when you made your reservation we did not communicate that you were booked in the Spa. We are updating the fitness room with new cardiac equipment but the spa is still open for services. I would like to discuss your booking with you so please call me at your earliest convenience. I look forward to your call.