Pier House Resort & Spa
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Ocean Key Resort & Spa(Key West)
  • Restaurant
  • Breakfast included
  • Breakfast included
2,481 results
All reviewsbeach barprivate beachchart roomlanai roomdockside suitemallory squareend of duval streetturtle pondperfect locationgarden viewlarge balconybars and restaurantswatch the sunsetgreat resorttrip to key westwalking distance to everythingfree shuttle
FilterAll languages
Reviewed January 29, 2014

We were recommended to the Pier House by local business contacts. The location is great and we rented a "beach" front room. For the price we paid I did expect to be able to access the "beach" from our room. Instead there is an iron fence between. The "beach" is a 3 foot strip of sand in front of our room. There is a slightly larger sand area with chairs and an area under cover for those avoiding direct sun.

The service here is responsive. The food outlets are good. We only ate snacks and key lime pie there. The pie was as good as any we had in town, and we tried it about everywhere. We did not use the spa.

Room Tip: Don't pay the upcharge for beach front unless a view of the water is very important to you.
1  Thank Traveler_N0t_T0urist
Joe D, General Manager at Pier House Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded January 31, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to fill out a survey and for staying at the Pier House Resort and Spa. I am sorry that you had a different impression on what a ocean view room is. We do not advertise that you can access the beach from your balcony and I would like to know if this was communicated to you. I am glad that you enjoyed the food and the service. I look forward to hearing from you.

Reviewed January 28, 2014

On our recent visit to Key West, we stayed at Pier House. We were met by friendly staff in parking lot and front desk. The place is conveniently located at the end of Duval Street, the center of the Universe of Key West. It's also within walking distance of obligatory Mallory Square, to watch the famous sunsets and characters of Key West. There are plenty of restaurants also nearby. The grounds here are well maintained and lushly landscaped, overlooking the beautiful water of the Gulf of Mexico. There's a nice, small white sand beach, pool and spa on the property. Parking is plentiful, at $20 a day surcharge. The suite we had, room 286, was simple, not plush. It had plenty of plush towels, a separate sitting room, two small flat screen TV's, tile floors and the rest you might expect from a good hotel....good not great. It had a balcony overlooking the parking lot. It was shielded with lush landscaping, so it maintained it's privacy. In all fairness we got one of the last rooms available a day before. While I was researching hotels in Key West, I also looked at cruises. For the price of a 5 day cruise(with balcony) out of Fort Lauderdale...you get one nite at Pier House.....next time I may cruise.

1  Thank William B

Thank you for staying at the Pier House Resort and Spa. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. This is peak season for Key West but there are other months that you can visit Key West when it is more affordable. We have specials that we run from July to September. Visit our website for more details.

Reviewed January 27, 2014

We have stayed at the Pier House every visit for the last 4 years and don't imagine we will willfully stay anywhere else in Key West - we enjoy it so much! ( stayed elsewhere on our first couple of visits; so glad we "found" our way here!) Our rooms have always been just perfect; we like both the Ocean View and the Lanai rooms, each charming in their own way. Every single staff member treats you as if you were a VIP - no easy task when dealing with the public - always a smile and a thank you. The beach is my absolute favorite place to be and the pool is refreshing. A drink from the Beach Bar is perfect in both locations! A nightcap at the Chart Room is a must! Always the most interesting people. Being the best geographical location in Key West is a plus, but not the only reason to stay. Thanks to everyone at the Pier House for making us want to return each year!

Room Tip: If you love turtles as much as I do then a Lanai room overlooking the turtle pond is the room for you!
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Joe D, General Manager at Pier House Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded February 7, 2014

Thank you for staying at the Pier House Resort and Spa and I am glad you enjoyed your visit. Thank you for your loyalty and I will pass your nice comments along to the team. I look forward to meeting you on your next visit to key West.

Reviewed January 27, 2014

I have written a few reviews about the Pier House and as I have mentioned prior, this is like coming home. My wife and I have stayed here several times (maybe 6 or 7) and it just gets better every time. Don’t believe any of the bad reviews. This place is the place to be when staying in Key West. I won’t stay anywhere else.
I spent so much time telling guests at the pool and at the bar how wonderful this place is they probably thought I was a plant for the hotel. I bet I sound like a commercial for this place but honestly it’s just that good.
I normally stay in the same building and couldn’t this time because of availability so the great people at the front desk broke their behinds to find me something else and put my wife and I into a 2 bedroom suite for the same price as our normal 1 bedroom suite. I really can’t say enough about how hard they worked to make us happy. But if you really want to be happy make sure you meet Janine and Merri. These two women are the best bartenders on the planet and a huge asset to this hotel. I really can’t say enough about them. I think the best part of our trip was sitting and sipping a cocktail and talking to them. Make sure you stop at the Chart room while you stay. It’s a small bar mixed with locals and tourists and just a great place to end your evening.
When you have had enough of Duval St try the 90 Mile bar for some greats blues, Sarabeth’s or Blue Heaven for breakfast or Schooners for a taste of the local life.
We normally come to the Pier House in October for a 4 or 5 day get away. In fact we were just there 10 weeks ago. Normally in January we head to the Caribbean for a week. We love this place so much we decided to just come back. Actually we check in a day early just to get there. Here is the best endorsement I have heard. I asked my wife when she wanted to come back and her reply was “well, we aren’t waiting to October to come back”. That’s fine with me as I’d go back every month if I could.
Go to the Pier House. Don’t think about it, just go. You won’t ever be disappointed. It’s just home.

PS, I tried to write and post this a few weeks back but it was within the 90 day window that Tripadvisor allows to review the same hotel. That's right, we were just there 90 days prior. That's how much we love it there.

3  Thank David G

David, thank you so much for the great review and the team at the Pier House can't wait to see you and your wife. I look forward to seeing you soon and stay warm.

Reviewed January 27, 2014

My friends took me to Key West for a birthday celebration and we had room 803. We were offered a choice of a bottle of wine or champagne. I am sure they paid a nice sum of money, but I expected more. The unit is fabulous with 2 suites, with large comfy beds, 2 balconies overlooking the water and a bar with a sink. Beautifully decorated. Service was great. The hotel is located at the end of Duval St. and pretty quite except the private parties were a bit loud. We could walk to so many things, or rent a bike. There is a nice beach, that I did not use. Every night when we came home there would be a large white shore bird hanging out around the buoy. The first 2 nights the heat did not work, it was blowing cold air, and it was unseasonably cold in Key West that week. There were no extra blankets.The heat in the upstairs bedroom was working great. There was some mold in my shower. There should not be any. Huge pillows, but I tend to like a few smaller pillows. My TV did not work, the room next door toilet kept making intermittent noise and kept me awake. I told the front desk and my friend did also, It was never fixed. There were problems with the other TV remotes. The last day, my toilet was not filling properly and I had to adjust it. There was only one lamp in the room which I had to walk over to the other side of the bed to turn it on. (I know, 1st World problems). I moved it to the side of the bed near the door. One of the plugs in the living room did not work. We never did figure out what the 2 switches at the front door were for. All of us had our computers and cell phones and there were not many plugs or enough light. I know there are lots of birds around, but there was bird poop on some of the stairs. I would recommend that they use a checklist, and perform regular inspections to make sure everything is working and looking perfectly. I would say a little better than average. Do I sound picky? For the price, yes I am.

Room Tip: 804 probably has the best view of the sunset, we were behind it.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Donna B

Donna,
Thank you for your feedback and for staying at the Pier House. Please call me as I would like to discuss some of your service shortcomings you experienced during your stay. I thought that your issues were handled quickly and would like to discuss some of the other points that you brought up. I look forward to your call.