“An ICON”

Ranked #20 of 51 Hotels in Key West
Rocky River, Ohio
“An ICON”
Reviewed December 18, 2013

I Have been vacationing in Key West for 30 years. Nearly every time I stay at The Pier House. The quality and consistency of the staff and facilities are second to none. If you want to stay within easy walking distance to all of the Duval Street activities, there is no better place to stay. I will say that since The Jacobs Group sold the hotel to The Remington Corp., it has lost a little bit of charm, however I will be back in February and hopefully several times after that.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Robert H
Joe D, General Manager at Pier House Resort & Spa, responded to this review, December 26, 2013
Thank you for staying at the Pier House Resort and Spa and for your business. We are making new improvements to the property to enhance what the previous ownership had started. I am glad that you enjoyed your time and I look forward to meeting you on your next visit.

Joe Dantoni

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (669)
  • Hungarian first
Ithaca, New York
Reviewed December 18, 2013

What a great place! We loved everything about the Pier House from the moment we checked in until we left. Every staff member we encountered was incredibly friendly.

We had a ground floor garden view room. We were given a map of the property, and directed by a bellman on where to park closest to our room ($20/day parking fee), then he brought our bags into the room. Very pretty room, with tiled floor, large bathroom, nice shampoo/soap amenities.

We had a sliding glass door to a small patio overlooking the lush garden that surrounds the center courtyard. There is a turtle /koi pond, pool, hot tub and small private beach. It was so nice to have the little beach there at this end of the island. You can just go into the water a tiny bit due to currents, but it's sand, and it's there, without a haul to one of the other public beaches. And this one comes with cocktail delivery, unlike the no alcohol public beaches.

The tiny Chart Room bar is very good- gets a mix of tourists and locals. Breakfast on the beach was yummy, crab cake eggs benedict (slightly overcooked egg, but excellent crab cakes), and the croissant sandwich thing. Excellent bloody marys and tasty pina coladas. . Delivered right to us on our beach lounge chairs that were placed by an adorable cabana boy named Ephraim.

Can't beat the location at the end of Duval Street, the great beach and pool area.
We arranged a noon check out but didn't need to head out until 2 pm, so they arranged for us to take showers in the spa- so we could use the hot tub and steam room there, which was very convenient and appreciated. The spa looked like your standard upscale resort style spa. Would have loved to stay for a treatment but not enough time.

All of the other guests we met either on the property or out and about in Key West loved Pier House too. The other guests that we saw were couples of various ages, a few families, and other girls trip gal pals.

Wish we could have stayed longer, and this is on the top of my list for a return visit!
There is a CVS across the street for things you forgot to pack, and pretty much everything we did was within walking distance.

Tip- the rates vary tremendously by date and day of the week. If you can be flexible you would have more options for rates.

Although we had garden view, when we walked around the property you could tell that the water view rooms really did have stunning views. If it is in your budget this is a worthy upgrade. Nice large balconies, too.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank OttoCal
Thank you for your nice comments and I am glad that you and your friends enjoyed your time at the Pier House Resort and Spa. As you mentioned, you can get attractive rates during the week. Please visit our website as the best available rates can be found there as well as any promotions that we are running. You can sign up to be on our email list through our website and you will be notified on our latest promotions. I look forward to your next visit.

Burlington, Canada
Reviewed December 17, 2013

Approximately three years ago, we stayed at the Pier House and I gave the hotel an outstanding review. My oh my how things have changed. The $600+ a night room was dirty, the cabinet door hiding the small refrigerator was broken, and the "clean" robe hanging in the closet was filthy.

The appearance of the hotel has deteriorated considerably. Elevator was dirty, baseboards were dirty, the tile floor in our room was filthy.

We ate lunch at the hotel and it truly was disgusting. I ordered chicken fingers and picked off the corn flake? batter. Oozing grease and so not worth the calories. I will say the chicken, inside the batter, was great but that was only because it was encased in the coating. When I finished my meal it looked like someone had spilled a bowl of corn flakes in on my plate.

Don't know what happened to this once fine establishment. But I will finish by saying this, if my husband and I had checked into this hotel, at a rate of 75 bucks a night, and saw the condition of our room we would have left the hotel.

The one good thing about the hotel is the chocolates they leave on your bed. But that was done only one night of the two we spent.

My husband and I had a joint massage at the spa, side by side. Two tables, two masseurs. The spa is clearly not set up to do this. Instead they had two massage beds outside, on the second floor overlooking the parking lot. For this "luxury" they charge you a surcharge of $40. Yes, you heard that correctly. Price of massage, surcharge and a tip. The entire 50 minute massage was spent listening to two guys swear, standing in the parking lot, complaining about the world. The spa is run down and the scale in the ladies' change room is full of rust. My robe was wet, I guess not left in the dryer long enough, or maybe wet from the person before me? Not what you would expect for the prices they are charging.

Another great hotel bitest the dust.

Very sad.

Room Tip: Book a room in the spa building. Our friends stayed there and it appeared cleaner.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
6 Thank paulette90
Joe D, General Manager at Pier House Resort & Spa, responded to this review, December 20, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to fill out a survey and I apologize that we didn't meet your expectations. I was a little surprised by your review as these issues were not brought to anyone's attention during your stay. We take great pride in our cleanliness and service. Please call me directly as I would like to discuss your stay further and get more details. I look forward to your call.

Springfield, Illinois
Reviewed December 16, 2013

We stayed at the Pier House in September for a long weekend. Although there was a problem with our reservation the staff went above and beyond and turned a problem into a huge plus. We stayed in two of the suites. Each was very nice. We had originally booked the presidential suite but it was overbooked (the problem) so we stayed in a harbor view suite the first night. Very nice, spacious with more than enough room for two couples. The presidential suite was also very nice. To be honest when we return we will probably book the harbor view. The rooms when split with another couple are comparable to other comparable rooms on the island. We had always stayed at ocean key in the past. Absolutely nothing wrong with the Ocean Key, great property, but we now prefer The Pier House. In regards to our booking problem - Joe the manager called me before we arrived, explained the problem, took ownership of the problem, and then told me how he would resolve it. Turned a potential very bad experience into a great time and a glowing review. We will be back

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for your understanding of a difficult situation and I am glad that we were able to make your stay at the Pier House an enjoyable one. I am happy that we met your expectations and look forward to seeing you in the near future.

Tuckerton, New Jersey
Reviewed December 15, 2013 via mobile

Just got back from Key West ( first timers) with my boyfriend, both in our late 20"s. Had a great time and both relaxing! The room which was standard was clean, bed was a bit too hard for my liking but if that's the only thing that bothered me than il take it!! The beach and pool staff was great! I highly recommend a key lime coolota! The location is perfect, right across the street from Mallory Square & a cvs just incase you need the basics, we walked everywhere! we will def be returning to the pier house! This time I think we will treat our selfs to a room upgrade though!

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
I am glad that we were able to make your first visit to Key West a memorable one. To get the latest promotions, please visit our website and sign up for our email promotions. My team at the Pier House looks forward to taking care of any of your request or needs while you are visiting. You can call the main number and ask for the concierge who will assist you with planning your trip. I look forward to meeting you on your next visit to the Pier House.

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed December 13, 2013

My wife and I stayed at Pier House in January for our honeymoon. We decided to splurge and book one of the dockside corner suites! We loved the suite and spent most of the days lounging on the balcony as we were almost directly on the water and could watch the boats and sunsets without leaving the room. The location of Pier House was perfect since we could walk almost anywhere we wanted to go. We only had room service once because the selection wasn't that great, but we did enjoy the Chart Room Bar. Overall, we had a fantastic time and have few complaints!

The only thing that was a negative was that my wife developed a bad rash on most parts of her body. We are assuming it must have been from the sheets and/or towels. She was pretty itchy most of the trip and had to take plenty of benedryl, but since she was using the towels and sheets everyday, it obviously didn't go away until we got home. We didn't complain, but with the amount of money we spent on the suite, I wish she wouldn't have had to deal with this on our honeymoon. We were actually thinking about going back to Key West within the next year, but are debating whether we should stay there because of this.

Room Tip: Corner Dockside Suite is Gorgeous, but expensive!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Andrew P
Joe D, General Manager at Pier House Resort & Spa, responded to this review, December 14, 2013
Thank you for your feedback and for staying at the Pier House. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay and I am sorry to hear about your wife rash. Please call me directly as I would like to discuss with you how we can prevent this from happening again. We have not had a problem like this before and maybe your wife is having a reaction to the type of detergent that we use. I can have the team hand wash your linens in a mild detergent. I look forward to your call.

NEW ORLEANS
Reviewed December 12, 2013

We enjoyed our stay at the Pier House, but I wish we would have booked a room on the water. Our first room was a "suite". It was not at all like any suite I have stayed in. It was dark and damp and felt like a cave. It had two double beds when we requested a king so we were ale to move into the spa building. I loved the spa building. It smelled like a clean spa when you walked into the building. Big comfy bed and large bathroom. We loved that room! We had massages and the masseuse's were great. Some parts of the resort need updating, but overall we had an awesome time. Also bands play late every night so if you are looking for peace and quiet you may not want to be on Duval.

Room Tip: Go for the Spa building or any of the rooms overlooking the water or harbor. Don't do the "...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for staying at the Pier House Resort and Spa and I am glad that you enjoyed your time. Please call the hotel directly or visit our website to ensure you get the requested room. On your next visit please try our restaurant Harbour View Cafe, the menu can be found on the website.