“I simply love the Pier House and they did not let me down!”

Pier House Resort & Spa
Ranked #19 of 51 Hotels in Key West
Lauderdale by the Sea
“I simply love the Pier House and they did not let me down!”
Reviewed July 8, 2013

I got a relatively last minute room for and overnight stay Saturday night July 6th. I expected to be overlooking the parking lot and even at almost $400 a night on a holiday weekend I didn't expect much. We were delighted to walk in to a beautiful Lanai room just off the pool area but far enough away so there was no noise.
Service was excellent from the parking attendant, bellman, front desk and housekeeping to the beach and bar staff they seemed happy to see us arrive and to make our short stay enjoyable. The bed and linens were sublime, grounds were lush and beautiful. Beach was great as was the pool. Cocktail service while laying on the beach in Key West, can life get better? Location at the end of Duvall Street very close to everything but a world away from the hustle and bustle of the Duvall Street craziness. Walk to sunset at Mallory or just watch from the Pier House, either way it's beautiful.
We are making plans to go back in September.
We love the Pier House

Room Tip: Many rooms have a water view but the Lanai rooms are quite lovely too.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Juliebythesea
Joe D, General Manager at Pier House Resort & Spa, responded to this review, July 10, 2013
Thank you for your feedback and I am glad that you enjoyed your first visit to the Pier House. I look forward to meeting you on your next visit and please do not forget to visit the famed Chart Room bar located right off the lobby.

Joe Dantoni

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (670)
  • Hungarian first
Palm Beach, FL
Reviewed July 6, 2013

First trip to KW with our munchkin and this was a great hotel to stay at! Perfect location close to everything, nice little beach w some darn good snorkeling, iguanas to chase, turtles and a koi pond, friendly staff, and good food and drinks for when we couldn't drag ourselves off property. Only downsides were the "floating sun dock" wasn't there anymore and a few mornings when we got upand hit the pool early the area wasn't cleaned up yet (towels strewn everywhere, empty cups and beer cans). But other than those minor things,it was great! Looking forward to a return trip soon :)

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
I am glad that you enjoyed your first trip with the kids to the Pier House Resort and Spa. The floating sun dock has not gone away as it was out for repair and will be back the week of July 15th. Thank you for the feedback regarding the pool area as this has been addressed with the team. Thank you again for your business and I look forward to seeing you soon.

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed July 6, 2013

My husband and I have stayed at the Pier House many times over the past 5 years, and have always enjoyed our time there. The location is convenient, the complex a quiet refuge from the excitement of Duval Street. We have always been in the Spa building, as it is adults only and very peaceful and luxurious, with large rooms, terraces and comfortable beds. It was always worth the splurge to stay here in the past, and we usually stay for 4 to 7 nights. I am very sorry that the change in ownership has resulted in the new $20/ day parking fee, amongst other things: this fee will be the straw that breaks the camel's back for us. It seems a poorly-considered and short-sighted move, considering the room costs. I doubt we will be back to what was our favourite hotel in Key West. Thanks for the memories, Pier House.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MJ L
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at Pier House Resort and Spa. We're sorry to hear you were disappointed, but we hope you decide to visit us again in the future so we can remind you of why you loved Pier House so much.

New York City, New York
Reviewed July 2, 2013

I was excited for my trip down to Key West and decided to stay at the famed Pier House. While the location cannot be beat, the hotel is run down and needs to be updated particularly in the rooms and around the pool. I love Key West and would stay again once updated but for the price there are better options out there.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank hhotelier
Thank you for your review and I was surprised about some of your comments regarding the guest rooms. We do have several updates planned for the future in particular the pool area. Our rooms have been recently renovated and I would like to discuss your room in more detail. Please call me directly at your earliest convenience to discuss your stay further. I look forward to your call and your next visit to the Pier House.

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Reviewed July 2, 2013

We were on the list at the gate and our room was available when we arrived. Check in was the quickest I have ever experienced. The friendly bellman took our stuff to our room and gave us a quick tour of the facilities. We had a corner room with a large balcony and windows on the other side. The view was incredible day and night but we had to keep the curtains closed most of the time to keep the room cooled off. I'm not sure if it was the intensity of the sun or the size of the dated AC unit, but we were fine as long as we kept the curtains drawn. Sitting out on the balcony at night was lovely. The beds were just ok, the room was clean. It also had a coffee maker and a small fridge. Internet and TV worked fine. There is a small beach here. The beach and sand are clean with plenty of chairs and towels available. The water is fine but not like the blue Carribean you would hope to swim in.... but that is how the Keys are for the most part. You really need to take a snorkel tour or boat ride to see how incredibly beautiful the water and the Keys actually are. The beach bar/restaurant is right there for you to grab tasty drinks or water. The hotel is right of Duval St and close to the Pier and Mallory Square. We did not use the pool or spa or dine in the restaurants as we were only there two days and wanted to see what Key West was all about. Pier house is one of the few with a beach but it is on the very touristy side of the island which is a plus in many ways but I encourage you to rent an electric cart and spend some time off Duval St as there are some great restaurants and things to see. I would stay here again. I'm disappointed we never made it to the wine and piano bar they have on site..I heard it was very good and fun...there is just so much to do here and so little time.

Room Tip: Ocean view is the way to go if you can. The view from the corner balcony next to the beach is unfor...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Cheriejay
Thank you for your comments on Pier House Resort and Spa. It sounds like you were able to experience a lot of what Key West has to offer during your quick stay. I am sorry to hear the temperature and bed weren't to your liking. I have a number of suites and guest rooms and would be happy to recommend one for a future visit. I am pleased to hear your comments on the friendly staff, as we pride ourselves on providing excellent customer service. I hope that the next time you visit you are able to take advantage of our pool and restaurants at the resort.  I also suggest you try the Chart Room bar- a piece of authentic, old Key West. I look forward to meeting you during your next visit and hope to welcome you back soon.

Atlantic City, New Jersey
Reviewed June 30, 2013

My husband and I were looking for a getaway for our 10 year anniversary and we found the perfect spot with the Pier House. The location, at the end of Duval is ideal! You are right in the heart of the action but removed enough to provide privacy and quiet for sleeping. The Pier House offers its own private beach, a rarity in Key West, and a pool. We spent every day at the beach where we had a staff member provide complimentary chairs, towels and a table for us. Waitstaff was available for food and drinks and on Saturday there was live music. Everyone at the hotel was extremely helpful and accommodating. Any items we requested from the front desk were brought to us within minutes. The exercise room offered a variety of free weights, machines and cardio equipment. Although we didn't use the spa, the facilities looked nice and I thought the prices were reasonable. Overall, I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone traveling to Key West. It doesn't get much better than this.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Katie D
Joe D, General Manager at Pier House Resort & Spa, responded to this review, July 1, 2013
Thank you for staying at the Pier House Resort and Spa. I am glad you took advantage of our great location on Duval Street. You are steps away from the hustle and bustle and yet can get away to the quiet and comfort of the Pier House. I will share your comments with the associates as they enjoy the feedback from our guest. I look forward to meeting you on your next visit and I am happy we were able to make your anniversary a memorable experience.

Key West, Florida
Reviewed June 28, 2013

After reading some of the current reviews on this site, I was reluctant to book here due to the customer service issues described in some of the reviews. However, I found this to not be true, at least for me. I felt like a king on this property! All of the staff that I came in contact with (including the housekeeping staff), were pleasant, courteous, and (I felt) geniunely concerned about my experience at the Pier House.

I had booked a King Room, Ocean Front, which was an incredible room, I used Room Service multiple times during my stay (food was excellent), and I received a follow-up phone call from them to make sure that I was satisfied with the food. The restaurant and bars were also perfect! The service staff were right on top of everything, including the young man who serviced the pool area.

Between the time I booked and the time I arrived, my credit card was compromised, so I called Reservations to give them a different credit card, and the Reservation Manager was exceptionally kind and personable. (I guess you get that way when you live in Paradise?) I would like to thank her for her kindness.

The location cannot be beat! You are at the end of Duval, and the Party is just outside the property. All of my favorite haunts were less than a 5-minute walk from the property. Even though you are so close to the party end of Duval, the property was very quiet and relaxing.

I would not hesitate to come back to this place, and I highly recommend it to those who are looking for a great location, a great hotel, and a great experience!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank DallasTallTexan
Thank you for staying at Pier House Resort and Spa and for taking the time to share your experience. We're so glad to hear you were able to enjoy both the lively streets of Key West as well as the relaxing environment at our resort. We take pride in providing excellent customer service, and are pleased you enjoyed your time here. We hope to see you again soon.