“Perfect Location!”

Pier House Resort & Spa
Ranked #17 of 51 Hotels in Key West
Reviewed May 12, 2008

This hotel has the perfect location - right at the beginning of Duval Street and right on the water. They have a small sandy beach (even an area for topless sunbathing) and great pool area. We had a ground floor room with a small patio outside. We were within steps of the pool and the restaurants. One evening we even discovered the piano bar with a personable entertainer. You are within walking distance to Mallory Square, restaurants, and all the bars on Duval Street. The hotel room was very nice. The decorations in our room had a tropical airy feel. We had rented a car and drove from MIA but never used our car the whole week. Hotel staff was friendly and always spoke to us when we were sitting outside on the patio, the atmosphere was relaxing! Only downpoint was there seemed to be lots of construction (renovations?) on the rooms close to the water, but we were not affected at all by this. Definitely going back next April!

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled with friends
3  Thank starglitter

Reviewed May 8, 2008

Pro's of the Pier House:
1. Mid-priced
2. Comfortable bed
3. Next door to the Hyatt so camping out at a nice bar is possible without too much effort
4. Clean

Con's of Pier House (in my humble opinion):
a) Right in the thick of Duval Street - wear your mullet with pride
b) Older crowd who return to the same hotel every year (it appeals to some clearly)
c) Chintzy room furnishings - appealing to the older crowd
d) Rather unsophisticated in terms of hotel vibe and clientele.

Yes this is me being very snobby and my age probably influences my view but for those who enjoy a bit of a treat when on tour then be warned: not a total disaster as it didn't cost the earth and was clean but certainly wasn't as luxurious as I had hoped.

7  Thank Undertheoaks
Reviewed April 24, 2008

After a long beautiful drive from Miami, what a great place to settle down for a week...We loved our choice. The Pier House is in a perfect location. Once we got checked into our room, the only bad thing I can say is we didn't get a king bed like we requested. The front desk tried to accomodate us but we were fine with our 2 double beds. We were just happy to be away and in the sun and feel the Key West vibe. The rooms were clean and very comfortable. The private beach is fabulous, nice sand and a great place to hang out and relax. The pool is clean and open 24 hours. Make sure to take a mid night swim! We loved to finish off our nights at the hotels little bar "The Chart Room" we met great people. Make sure to meet Captain Dan. He took great care of us all week. Made fresh popcorn and made excellent drinks. We learned alot about the locals at this little bar....This vacation was filled with great memories and this hotel is where we would definately come back and stay. You cant get a better location. We didn't have a car the whole week and we didn't need one. Get ready to walk, or rent a bike which is a great experience. Loved It!!!!

1  Thank GoodLivin
Reviewed April 16, 2008

This is a fantastic resort hotel with a great pool and beautiful and clean private beach (the beach is small but very lovely, and even has a topless area). The rooms are very nice, simple and classy, we just had the most basic room on the first floor but it had a nice patio. If you can afford the pricier rooms, go for it! Pier house offers a variety of rooms, some suites with balconies and water views, also the garden views are lovely I'm sure. The location of the hotel can't be beat, at the beginning of Duval St. near all sorts of shopping, attractions, great restaraunts and nightlife, but tucked away and lavished with gorgeous tropical plants and trees everywhere, very dreamy! We didn't eat too much at the hotel, however they have a variety of restaraunts, the room service was excellent...The best part for us was the pool and private beach...the pool has a nice bar and is enclosed within a tropical garden with gorgeous and abundant trees and a view of the gulf of mexico divine!!! We came to Key West to escape NYC for a long weekend and can't wait to return, we'll definately stay at the Pier House again

4  Thank MadelineNewYorkCity
Reviewed April 14, 2008

I simply could not imagine a better location in Key West. Located at the bottom of Duval Street, you are within sight of the bars, restaurants shopping and night life of Duval Street, Mallory Square, with the nightly sunset show and crowd is a two minute walk along the water, and the marinas, with their charter boats, activities and restaurants is at the end of the block.

We stayed in a standard room, the cheapest they had. We could have stayed in a Garden or Harbor view for considerably more, but they are the exact same room ( we had them show us), but with the view indicated. Since we do not spend a lot of time in the room, we could not see a reason to spend all that money.

The bar is very pleasant, and pours a good drink. There is a small private beach, nice pool, grounds are well kept. We did not eat here on the advice of some locals we ran into at the bar, who said they were happy to drink here, but would never eat here. We made Pepe's on Caroline our breakfast spot, with great omlettes and wonderful atmosphere.

Bed could be newer, matteress is a bit lumpy, but the room is just fine overall. Not high luxury, but easily serves its purpose.

3  Thank Thepaw60
Reviewed April 4, 2008

My husband and I have been staying at the Pier House once or twice per year for 7 years. We always get the same room, a two bedroom suite which rents for $1300-$1600 a night. Obviously, we like this hotel: the location, the garden and beach, the peacefulness, and the view from the balcony.

Unfortunately, we like this place almost in spite of itself. The quality has been inconsistent over the years, but we adjust to the laid-back Key West style. Our latest visit, however, was very disappointing.

When we booked our trip 3 months' ago, we were told that new construction next to our suite would be finished except for minor interior trim work. When we arrived, we found an active construction site surrounding our room. The circular saw station next to our balcony was non-stop noisy, sawdust covered all the balcony furniture and blew around in the breeze. Deconstruction and nailing were incessant. Sometimes the workmen had to inch along our balcony rail to avoid falling off the torn up deck. The workmen were very nice and apologetic for the mess; I don't blame them for doing what they had to do. Hotel management was less concerned, however.

If construction was in such a state, couldn't they have called and told us before we arrived? We are going again in 6 weeks for a vacation with our grown daughters. Questioning two managers, the front desk personnel, and guest relations manager about the construction status in 6 weeks only got a "call us before you come" response. Okay. One more time. The next time might be the last. If you are going soon, and Pier House does have a lot to recommend it, I'd suggest you be very specific in questioning the status of construction when you make your reservation.

5  Thank Flamingotropicale
Reviewed April 1, 2008

I stayed at the Pier House Resort and Spa from March 31 until April 1. I usually stay at the Westin when visiting Key West, however, I decided to try something different. I booked an Oceanview room at the Pier House to my mistake. The Oceanview rooms are in a building that is terribly outdated. You first have to enter each room from the outside just like a motel. Once inside, the furniture and carpet should be replaced as both are quite worn. The air conditioner is very old as well and sits on the outside of the room. I turned the air conditioner off after 8 p.m. and heard it dripping for the rest of the night. My room was on the second floor in a building with five floors. Whenever someone went to the bathroom and flushed or whenever someone took a shower, I could hear the water running. The Oceanview really wasn't an oceanview that you'd expect to see so it's not worth the hassle of being put in an old room with a higher price may I add. The balcony was just big enough for one person to stand although they had two chairs and a small table. It was so small, you couldn't hear yourself think. I did ask on the first day if they had any Oceanview rooms without carpet as advertised and I was told "No, all of the Oceanview rooms have carpet". I slept with a chair under the door knob because of the entrance to the room being on the outside which made me afraid.
On the second day, I voiced my concerns and asked to be moved to the Spa Building. What a difference! You actually entered the rooms from the inside of the bulding! Once inside the building, the room was absolutely the most beautiful and spacious room I've seen. It was well equipped with new and updated furniture, a wooden floor, surround sound system with DVD/CD player , a fireplace, a very large balcony, and a huge hot tub/shower with a timer in the bath area which sat behind the bed. There were custom shutters on the short wall that sepearted the bed from the hot tub. You could open the shutters and see the T.V. from the hot tub/shower! The bathroom area also included double sinks. It was soooooooooo nice, I hated to leave today!
I would definitely stay there again. The front desk clerks and manager were very helpful and nice. Lisa even showed me the new room before I confirmed that I'd take it.
Again, don't pay extra for the Oceanview room. Stick to the Spa rooms in the Spa building and you will be well pleased.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled solo