“Spa Rooms Exceptional”

Pier House Resort & Spa
Ranked #15 of 51 Hotels in Key West
Reviewed April 1, 2008

I stayed at the Pier House Resort and Spa from March 31 until April 1. I usually stay at the Westin when visiting Key West, however, I decided to try something different. I booked an Oceanview room at the Pier House to my mistake. The Oceanview rooms are in a building that is terribly outdated. You first have to enter each room from the outside just like a motel. Once inside, the furniture and carpet should be replaced as both are quite worn. The air conditioner is very old as well and sits on the outside of the room. I turned the air conditioner off after 8 p.m. and heard it dripping for the rest of the night. My room was on the second floor in a building with five floors. Whenever someone went to the bathroom and flushed or whenever someone took a shower, I could hear the water running. The Oceanview really wasn't an oceanview that you'd expect to see so it's not worth the hassle of being put in an old room with a higher price may I add. The balcony was just big enough for one person to stand although they had two chairs and a small table. It was so small, you couldn't hear yourself think. I did ask on the first day if they had any Oceanview rooms without carpet as advertised and I was told "No, all of the Oceanview rooms have carpet". I slept with a chair under the door knob because of the entrance to the room being on the outside which made me afraid.
On the second day, I voiced my concerns and asked to be moved to the Spa Building. What a difference! You actually entered the rooms from the inside of the bulding! Once inside the building, the room was absolutely the most beautiful and spacious room I've seen. It was well equipped with new and updated furniture, a wooden floor, surround sound system with DVD/CD player , a fireplace, a very large balcony, and a huge hot tub/shower with a timer in the bath area which sat behind the bed. There were custom shutters on the short wall that sepearted the bed from the hot tub. You could open the shutters and see the T.V. from the hot tub/shower! The bathroom area also included double sinks. It was soooooooooo nice, I hated to leave today!
I would definitely stay there again. The front desk clerks and manager were very helpful and nice. Lisa even showed me the new room before I confirmed that I'd take it.
Again, don't pay extra for the Oceanview room. Stick to the Spa rooms in the Spa building and you will be well pleased.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled solo
4  Thank abenitaj
Write a ReviewReviews (2,442)

Reviewed March 23, 2008

We stayed for 3 nights in mid March 2008. The hotel is in a perfect location. The restaurant staff was great, but the front desk staff was not very friendly. We had a pleasant stay, since the room was clean and functional, and we were close to all the main points of interest. However, we definitely have had better rooms for the same price. The hotel definitely needs to be updated. You will have a great time as long as you have reasonable expectations.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled as a couple
3  Thank nyny625
Reviewed March 23, 2008

While we were checking in, our front desk clerk quit taking care of us to answer the phone and did not get back to us. We did not know where our room was located. So we wondered around looking for it, thinking foolishly that a 400 number would be on the fourth floor. A house keeper finally told us were our room was. Then none of the door keys worked. I had to find my way back to the front desk and ask for room keys that worked and a map. They were quite snooty and rude.
Our room was nice enough, no carpets,and newer tile and wood floors.
BUT it was the noisiest air conditioner I ever had. It vibrated the room and went on and off multiple times during the night waking us up. We had to put pillows and the lamp against it to stop some of the vibrations.
The bed was not very comfortable. The pool area was quiet and nice, the beach was small, and ok except for the construction taking place on the addition.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled with family
3  Thank travelPennsylvania
Reviewed March 20, 2008

I've never written a review before but decided I should in this case because of the disappointing experience we had at The Pier House. For $400 a night, we expected high quality rooms and amenities. Sadly, we were quite wrong. Starting with the cinder block walls in the dark hallways (think old college dorm), followed by a tiny room with a small old bathroom, this stay did not live up to our expectations.

We only stayed one night and then moved across the street to the Ocean Key Resort where we had a much nicer room (and amenities, service, pool) for a better price.

On a positive note, the concierge was very helpful when we called in advance of our stay to make reservations for some activities.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled with family
4  Thank LBSIllinois
Reviewed March 19, 2008

EXCELLENT Service! HAPPY Staff! BEAUTIFUL Room! Food is WONDERFUL! GREAT Private Beach! BEST Location! My husband and I (both in our early 30s) agree that the Pier House is awesome! I travel often for work and have high standards for the hotels I stay in and the Pier House exceeded my expectations. We had a king/garden suite room which was clean and very comfortable. The property is well maintained, and in the best location (right by everything, but secluded enough so you don't hear all the buzz going on the island when you are trying to sleep). In addition, we had trouble getting out of Cleveland, OH due to the worst blizzard in 30 years closing the airport. We changed our reservations 4 times (we were to leave Sat. and didn't get out of OH until Tues.), and the Pier House staff was awesome with accommodating our ever changing schedule. We'll be back next year (maybe even later this year)!

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Wojgirl
Reviewed March 18, 2008

I NEVER write reviews but had to for this hotel. I stayed here in Jan 08 for a week. This was my first vacation in a few years and thought that spending over 750$ a night on a hotel room would mean luxury- I WAS 100% wrong!

The room I believe was called a Junior Harbour Suite- possibly even a Harbour Suite. The room wasnt nice at all. The only nice thing was the bed. The furniture was old and the carpets were kind of gross. It really needs to be updated and they charge way too much- I just cant believe they called the room a suite and charged what they did....

If you are staying at this hotel because you heard they are the only hotel with their own private beach at that end of duval well ignore that completely. Their "beach" was like 10 feet big and shady the whole day.

For the amount of money you pay for this hotel you expect that all the different restaurants- there were 3 would be different. What they dont say this on their website is that its the same EXACT menu at all 3 places. Their bar that's open all night is actually this dark little hole in the wall that no one goes to.

The pictures make this place look 100% nicer and bigger than it is. The pool area is ok- we got there on a Mon and stayed til Fri. Of course on Thu we noticed more people around the pool and the hotel filling up- and thats when the service at the hotel picked up. Unless the pool had a lot of people no one comes over to see if you want anything to eat or drink. I really have no problem getting my own drinks- the pool bar is like 10 feet away but they advertise pool side service and they charge enough for you to stay there so they should have it!

If all you care about is the location there are 2 or 3 other really nice hotels (Hyatt and Ocean Key) that are right next to this hotel and 10 years newer, cleaner, and nicer...
If you have any questions feel free to contact me thanks!

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled as a couple
3  Thank dgm123
Reviewed March 7, 2008

This is a truely great hotel and the staff are fantastic and so helpful. We had an ocean view room looking straight over the beach. There is an ample sized swimming pool but you just cant beat a swim in the sea by the private beach. The gardens within the resort are beatifully maintained, Food and Drink is all very good value and tasty. I recommend the Lobster Club Sandwich ! The hotel itself is in walking distance of Malory and Duval St. A great location and well worth the journey from Ireland !. ONly complaint is watch the glass in the Patio Doors - its so clean you cant tell if its open or closed and you can easily walk straight into it !

One final thing is we missed our connection flight to Key West for the first night due to delays in Atlanta and the hotel still rebated the cost of our room - Nice one :-)

Stayed: March 2008