“Great location, Restuaraunts and Environment - but some nasty issues.”

Pier House Resort & Spa
Ranked #16 of 51 Hotels in Key West
Reviewed October 17, 2011

Spent a week in the Pier House recently after previous trips to Key West staying in hotels/resorts further out from Duval St.

The resort itself is great, they had just completed reconstructing the pool area, the beach was very nice, and the room itself while small, had a very nice view of the gulf and the beach. The resturaunts in the resort were very good, and we particularly enjoyed the Chart room.

A few issues though the firsat was minor - the WIFI did not work during our whole stay. Not a big deal since this kept me out of touch with work which was probably a good thing.

The second was major and will keep me from going back. On the sixth day of our stay I was awakened by a loud groaning, moaning series of noises from outside our patio doors at 5:30 am. When I looked outside I was amazed to see an overweight, middle aged couple having sex outside our room on the beach. I turned on the patio light, they didn't care. Opened and slammed the patio door, they didn't care. Amazingly this did not wake my girlfriend up, but I know from past experience that if I had used the phone - I would have woken her. This went on for two hours.

So I wrapped the pillow around my head and tried to sleep to no avail. Later in the day I asked the front desk if Security patrolled the grounds and they said they did, and I explained what had kept me up. Their answer was that I should have called the desk. Big help.

2  Thank Lani B
Write a ReviewReviews (2,408)

Reviewed October 17, 2011

Great location and nice room, but the pool was closed the whole time we were there, the hot tub was closed 2 days and the internet was down 4 days. We spent 6 days with them and was a little disappointed that not once did they apologize for the lack of availability to these services. The internet was the most annoying. When you decide to carry your laptop on vacation because it's needed how can in this day and time a place be without wireless for 4 days! We were not vocal about our disappointment in their lack of service and when we left they didn't ask us how our stay was either which we thought was strange when you spend that amount of money? A good business jester would of been have a couple of drinks or breakfast on us along with an appology that they didn't have a pool at all during our stay. We would of gone back without thinking about it if they would of showed they cared, but now we will try one of the other hotels right close to them first. We truly loved Key West and that area is a great location!

1  Thank StayingHappy
Reviewed October 10, 2011

My wife and I researched many places to stay in Key West to celebrate our 20th anniversary. The Pier House was a great place to stay. You are in the heart of Key West, one block from Mallory square going in one direction, 2.5 blocks from the harbour (great places to eat) and right on Duval St. Our room was in the "Spa" building, large balcony with a semi-view of the water. Side balcony looked out to the water. Large shower with a waterfall head, you could really relax. Room was large and bright. Having a beach at the facility was great, you could go to the pool or Gulf without having to travel. The beach is not large but we did not have any problems finding a perfect place to sit in the sun. Staff at the beach set up chairs and towles for you, this was a nice touch. The pool was just recently re-opened after the pool deck was replaced. One nice thing about the pool deck, you always had sun this area was not shaded by buildings. Food was ok, the Cuban French Toast for breakfast you have to try, this was really good! (had the French toast on a couple of days)The grounds had outstanding landscaping.

Room Tip: If staying the spa building get a 2nd story room. Try for an end room, at least one has partial wate...
Reviewed October 10, 2011

First time visitor to Key West, we spent 5 nights at the Pier House Resort. When we first arrived our first room wasn't even big enough to breath, the pictures on the internet are deceiving. I must say after we complained they did give us a bigger room at an extra cost. The pool was closed for the first part of the week for renovations, I never received a notice telling me that it would be closed. Their WI FI was down all week every time I would ask about it they would say yes still down. As we walked around the town we saw many many hotels that offered a better view and looked nicer. So if your looking for nice view spacious rooms keep on looking!!!

Room Tip: Don't pick the Lanai Room if you want to be able to breath
1  Thank Michelle A
Reviewed October 9, 2011

Wonderful place to stay. Perfect location at the end of Duval Street walking distance to all the bars and the sunset pier which is a great place to grab a bit to eat and a drink and people watch while watching the sun go down. We got an ocean view suite, which was amazing. Beautiful view to balconies overlooking the ocean. It was a nice place to wind down at night. The room was very clean and very spacious, big bathroom with a huge shower. The place has its own little (very small) private beach which was a nice place to go swimming and hang out for a bit. There’s a bar right next to it where I got a really good breakfast ever morning. I wouldn't stay anywhere else in Key West, this place is just perfect.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 28, 2011

I stayed here for three nights with my bf during mid to late September. We are from Australia and were travelling along the east coast of America. Everything about the stay was positive. The location was fantastic, you walk outside and you are at the end of the main street. We loved the private beach and also the Charter bar. The room was fantastic, especially the shower. Free wi-fi internet was handy. It really completed our holiday! The only thing negative I could say was there was no free breakfast but the plenty of places to eat and the restaurants there are fantastic and reasonably priced.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 25, 2011

My friend and I went to Pier House Resort for a spa day. We did not stay at the property. So my review is strictly on the spa.

I would NOT recommend the Caribbean Spa if you're looking for a centering, calming & relaxing spa experience. We were both very disappointed. Because, Pier House has such a great reputation. We both spent approx. $250 (tip incl.) for a stone message and a sugar body scrub.

The first problem is when you're waiting for your service you have to sit in a hallway between the men's & ladies locker rooms. In your robe with people walking in & out. No comfy chairs or dimmed lights or soothing music. Not very relaxing to say the least.

Second, when you exit your treatment room the lights are way too bright. And then back to sitting in the hallway (in your robe) to wait for your next treatment.

Way to pricey for not much of a "Spa Day".

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends