New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

“Oasis has Changed - some good some not” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Oasis Guesthouse

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Oasis Guesthouse
Ranked #81 of 85 Key West B&B and Inns
Arlington, Virginia
“Oasis has Changed - some good some not”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 21, 2013 via mobile

I have been staying at the Oasis for years. When I arrived they were just finishing renovating my room. New carpet. The place was in need of a refresh so that's good. The character of the place has also changed. Generally there had always been numerous folk out by the pools and of was quite friendly. This time the pool areas were a ghost town. They are clearly trying to attract a new type of clientele (most were there for one night and found the place online on travel sites). I think they are losing a lot long-time loyal customers to the place that bought their property across the street. If your a new customer looking for a charming place in a great location it's probably perfect. If you're a long-time customer expecting to see the atmosphere and people you see each year you may be disappointed.

• Stayed January 2013
8 Thank ArlJeff

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Amsterdam, Nederland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2013

We stayed in this resort 12 times over the last 15 years, so it felt like home away from home for us - despite the long flight from Europe. In the last years we have seen Key West become a different place. And it really hasn't improved. But, despite that, we knew where the good atmosphere was and Oasis was one of those places for us. Despite its flaws (cleanliness, repairs, letting it deteriorate and not invest in the property) it was a great place to go back to and I always loved it.
The last time we stayed was in april - may last year. Now we are informed that the place is sold, going to be renovated, and mixed clientele. So, last year was our last stay. We can go everywhere if we want a mixed clientele.
Key West is rapidly deteriorating for the gays. It you dont need the 24/7 party and sex of Island house only a few properties remain and even fewer that are male only. It really is a shame.
Oasis, despite everything, you will be missed. We will be in Key West across the street in April/May 2013, perhaps to say goodbye to 15 years of good memories.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
7 Thank ras0407
Eastern Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 16, 2013 via mobile

Our first trip to Key West and I stumbled across this B&B from Bookings.com (it went by the name of Tranquility House on that website). We drove into town and needed a place to stay. After looking various websites, I was beginning to think we were going to have to stay in new town in order to find a place with a nice pool for under $200.

Parking is on street, but when we were buzzed in the gate the few circles around the block were worth it. The property is much larger than you would think from the outside, at least 4-5 houses/buildings. A pool, large/deep hot tub and a soaking HOT hot tub! Our room (303) is a basic double queen room with great decor. There is a basic continental breakfast with happy hour in the evenings (wine & cheese). We rented bikes from the office to get around and explore Key West, although all of old town is within walking distance.

The biggest drawback is tgat there are renovations going on. The workers don't start until after 8 and must quit early afternoon, so the inconvenience is being managed as well as possible.

Another couple staying booked through the visitors center on Big Pine Key.

• Stayed January 2013
1 Thank MorganHorseLover
Arlington, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 25, 2012

This was my third stay at the Oasis/Coral Tree/Coconut Grove complex. The first two stays were years ago and they were fantastic. I also enjoyed this visit, but was sad to hear that the resort has been sold and will be changing. In short, it seems that it will be going co-ed and will no longer be clothing optional.

I stayed in Coconut Grove this time. It is the most recently renovated and added portion of the complex, and probably the nicest. The staff gave me a ground-level room right off the front porch. I loved it. It was convenient to the pool, and I could watch people on Fleming from the porch. And, the room itself was outstanding (i.e., clean, spacious, and well-decorated).

The location of the complex is outstanding. It's a short walk to everything in old town. And, you can rent a bike and get anyplace on the island quickly. You really don't need (or want) a car here.

The Oasis itself is looking a little tired and worn. I suspect, however, it is about to get a facelift in January 2013. My only complaint was that there was no hot water in my shower; during the week-long stay I managed to get it warm once...that was it. The staff insisted that I just need to let the water run, but even after 10 to 15 minutes, there was no hot water.

Here's hoping the new owners retain some of the charm!

Room Tip: I would request Coconut Grove.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Scott B
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 9, 2012

Such a great place the first time was with my x, now I come with my man of 16 years, we made drinks and hit the pool and hot tub. The service was great, breakfast was good and just out our door . 11am a slow walk in town,and back to the pool. Lunch next door at deli was great. Hot showers, clean room when we not in it much....pool!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2012 via mobile

I recently had the chance to stay at the oasis guest house in key west Fla...I had stayed there in the past but not for many years ...was nice to go back ...the staff were very helpful and attentive ..and the resort has a nice laid back feel to it ..so thanks !...but while there I heard rumours that the place will no longer be a gay guest house ..but as much as key west has become it will be a just a regular guest house open to.eveyone ...its a shame but just the way of the world in key west ..

• Stayed August 2012
1 Thank scotyvan
Richmond, Virginia, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 10, 2012

As a returning guest of more than fifteen years, my affinity for the Oasis/Coconut Grove has only grown with each visit. With three pools, a terrific hot tub and classic Bahamian architecture the compound is the perfect place for me to relax and reinvigorate. The entire staff is exceedingly gracious and accommodating, particularly "the man in charge", Jorje. He's been an integral figure to the resort since my first visit and makes sure that I'm well taken care of. It's close enough to Duval if I want to venture into "tourist-land", yet far enough away that I can escape to the quiet breezes of the island, particularly on the rooftop deck. Just strip down and let the sun do the rest.The rooms are more than adequate in size and amenities; always tidy and well attended to. I can also count on quickly making fast friends here from all walks of life. All in all, the Oasis/Coconut Grove is the perfect place for me to stay on this tiny island that I've grown to love.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo