“A get away from the fast food and the mainstream!”
Review of Date & Thyme

Date & Thyme
Ranked #120 of 447 Restaurants in Key West
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Takeout
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Takeout
Reviewed May 9, 2013

Located in the heart of historic key west yet away from the hustle and bustle of the tourist packed marina only a few blocks away. Offers quaint garden style outdoor seating for eating and doubles as the local health food market. Patrons with food sensitivities and allegies will find plenty to chose from on the store shelves and on the varied menu...to go and to stay available.
My food sensitivities are gluten, dairy and soy. Everyday I was able to order something new, tasty and filling. I recommend this as a must whether you're just looking for a good healthy meal or have dietary challenges.

There are newer reviews for Date & Thyme

Reviewed May 7, 2013

I really like all the changes they've been doing here. Everything looks great. Their juices and smoothies are great but too expensive.

Reviewed May 3, 2013

They do have a tiny parking lot of maybe 4 spaces and they were all taken. Street parking is minimal and residential so you will want to walk or ride a bike. I had to drive around the block to find a space, lucky me because I live here I can use the residential spaces. If you're visiting, you will be out of luck. That aside.....

As I walked up at noon, the place was slammed. I went to get some lunch to take back to work and buy some produce for the weekend. After standing in line for about 5-8 min, I decided to do my shopping before ordering my food to go. As I walked the isle, I made a phone call to Help Yourself and ordered my salad and smoothly to go. I had hoped that by the time I was done shopping and got through the line, my lunch would be ready. The Berry Bliss smoothy was waiting for me but not the salad. So, I had everything rung up and waited outside for my name to be called to pick up my food. I am giving 4 instead of 5 because there is a long wait to receive food from the kitchen. I think they need more help during lunch hour rush.

While waiting outside I noticed that the seating was bench seating. There was a covered area that most seemed to congregate towards. The remainder was around herb planter boxes which just adds to the organic KW experience. Parts of this area were covered and parts weren't. There are also 4 stools that belly up to the smoothy bar that looks into the store. I have read several reviews about the lack of table service, those people just need not go to a place called Help Yourself. There is another organic restaurant in town that is very good as well, they have seated service. But I digress, the seating areas were very clean and in abundance.

My smoothy was very good. I can't say much for the price though, $8 is spendy, period. My Mexican salad was huge, enough for 2 people. I should have gotten the smoothy and small salad, it would have been more than enough. Romaine, black beans, corn, brazil nut ‘taco’ meat, tomato salsa, cashew sour cream, avocado, key lime vinaigrette. The brazil nut 'taco' meat is interesting in a good way. I am from California and if there's one thing we know, it's produce.This salad was fresh! Not an easy thing to find in KW.

As for the produce it looks great and most of it is refrigerated. I am looking forward to eating it this weekend. They also have shelves of specialty items such as jarred tikamasa, curry, etc.

I say Bravo!

Reviewed May 1, 2013

What a great find! We happened upon Help Yourself by accident - just walking from the Eden House where we were staying. We liked the sound of the menu - organic, local, healthy options that appealed to us. We had breakfast there every morning but one and regretted not eating there every day! We tried almost all of the smoothies and the fruit/granola parfait and couldn't have been happier with the great taste, wholesome ingredients and fantastic service. I would recommend this location for anyone going to Key West that wants something to feed the body right.

Reviewed April 29, 2013

"Help Yourself" is an apt name for this vegetarian/vegan cafe at the corner of Fleming and Margaret. Organic goodies, self-service. Grab a bench or a barstool -- no table service. I love their salads, but wraps and hot dishes are also available.
For lunch, I ordered a Mexican salad in the "light" portion size, which was $6 as opposed to the full order at $11. Glad that I went "light" on this filling combination (vegan and gluten-free) of romaine, black beans, corn, a "taco meat" made from brazil nuts, tomato salsa, a non-dairy sour cream made from cashews, lavish chunks of avocado and a fabulous dressing--key lime vinaigrette.
Help Yourself also has a small market with a reasonable selection of organic produce and a juice bar that cranks out beautiful smoothies, most of which are priced at $8.
This spot -- with its emphasis on fresh, healthy, and organic -- is a refreshing contrast to the typical fare offered up by Key West restaurants.