“No Pardon for this Turkey”

Kelly's Caribbean Bar, Grill and Brewery
Ranked #5 of 10 Food & Drink in Key West
More attraction details
Owner description: Southernmost brewery in the U.S., owned by actress Kelly McGillis.
Punta Gorda, Florida
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“No Pardon for this Turkey”
Reviewed November 29, 2013

We had made reservations via email for Thanksgiving dinner about a month ago as we were traveling to the Keys on our boat and would be in Key West this week. All good and a looking forward to seeing you. In our many walks around KW we decided to stop by on Wed just to confirm with them that we are indeed in town and would see them the next day. She looked, no reservation (4:00p outdoors unless cold, than indoors). No problem, she added us in - this time we confirmed indoors as it's been so windy and cooled off a good bit.

Arrived about 4:10 and another staff member at the podium this time - found us but seemed surprised. Said she had nothing indoors but we could eat in the bar but that it might be noisy. I looked in the house and saw numerous open tables. hmmmmm

We were seated in a room with many tables next to the bar - no one else in there - very Spartan, nothing really saying it's Thanksgiving. I said to Shannon, want to leave as I had a bad feeling. She said let's stay so we did. It was not noisy but would have been with a full bar. One oddity too - this is a traditional football day for America and all the TVs had on poker. I didn't go there for football but..............

We both ordered the Traditional fare vs the Southern which was a jerk fried turkey with other spicy type items. Normally I would choose this but with that feeling that this is not going to be good, I went conservative. Shannon thought about just ordering a steak but also opted for traditional. I did ask if I could swap the garlic mashed for the pecan-sweet potatoes even though it said no substitutions. The very nice and friendly server told me no but that I could order a side of them for $5, which I declined. We ordered a bottle of KJ Chardonnay which is shortly brought to the table in an ice bucket.

The sever popped the cork, I sipped some very warm wine and told her to leave it in the bucket. Why would there not be Chards chilled and ready to serve? Warning 2.

Dinner came after about 15 minutes - it was a prix fix menu at $22.95 each without desert, drinks, water. Two plates of traditional were served. Each had 1 roll (harder than rocks), some white and dark meat, cranberry relish (very good) a squash of some type that was pretty overcooked/burnt and dressing of a basil/sun-dried tomato type and those garlic mashed potatoes. The mashed and meat was covered in gravy. Back to me asking to substitute the potato - we both got one of those "ice cream scoop" type servings of potatoes. I would have guessed the pecan-sweet was served the same way so why not scoop that instead? Customer service you know????

Rating - I would think Denny's was better but we didn't go there so I'm only guessing. It was warm, but very salty. As mentioned, the bread was so hard, we just sort of laughed aloud at the same time as we went to break it. I was hopeful for the dressing but no - skip that one for certain the next time.

So ate what we ate - not that it was disgusting or anything, just boring and Denny's like. We threw back the wine, and that was that.

On the pleasant side - I've been going to Kelly's for years and just love the outdoor dining. The staff has, as in this occasion, been great - they are always just so nice. The bill was $88 and we left a $20 tip - you tip the server and those that make your visit fun/pleasant. You don't eat there again for this type of event.

Oh well, we'll have our own family Thanksgiving meal and we'll cook it like we like.

2 Thank Bob W

Connecticut
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 32 helpful votes
“Cozy setting on the patio”
Reviewed November 20, 2013 via mobile

Thoroughly enjoyed our meal here on the patio- a lovely and peaceful setting. Very fresh grouper and decent conch fritters. Olga, our server, was terrific.

2 Thank garfield2009
Covington, Washington
23 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 64 helpful votes
“Excellent find on Key West”
Reviewed November 15, 2013

This is a great little restaurant with outdoor seating, indoor seating, and bar seating. The food was excellent and so were the drinks. Our service was great too.
Not only is the bar owned by Kelly McGillis (from Top Gun) and her ex-husband, so there's movie memorabilia around the bar, but the location used to be the Pan-Am airport. The walls are covered with museum-quality memoriabila and information. It was fun to walk around and read/look while we waited for our food!

1 Thank Sarah E
Newington, Connecticut
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 43 helpful votes
“Great Happy Hour!”
Reviewed November 14, 2013

If you are looking for a great happy hour away from the madness of Duval Street, then Kelly's is your place! The 2 bartenders were attentive and always made sure you were taken care of. The HH prices for drinks and food - on par. Really no complaints whatsoever. Will go back for sure.

1 Thank Gwyn A
Ionia, Michigan
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Okay but I'm guessing there are better places in KW”
Reviewed November 13, 2013 via mobile

The mango BBQ sandwich was good. Our waiter was a bit of a jerk and he kept pushing us to go to his buddy's restaurant. I wouldn't go here again but it wouldn't be a bad place if you go.

1 Thank Andrea N