“Not what I expected”

and up
Key West Day Trip from Miami with a Free South Beach Bike Rental
Ranked #7 of 170 things to do in Key West
More attraction details
Owner description: A charming 110 mile highway running the length of the Keys.
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Not what I expected”
Reviewed November 24, 2013

I liked seeing the water and the different keys but a lot of it was just going thru communities and not a lot water scenes. There is one long bridge and they advertise 42 bridges but most of them are small bridges like you would go over a river on the mainland. The first two times I went to Key West I went on a boat from Ft. Myers and if I ever go back to Key West again, that is the way I would go. Glad I drove the keys but I prefer taking the boat.

Visited October 2013

27 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 133 helpful votes
“Eye Popping!”
Reviewed November 23, 2013

sure it could get monotnous for hours on the same 2 lane road, especially if behind a truck (or jerk), but it's one of the world's greatest man-made achievements and is pure eye candy. Enjoy!

Visited October 2013
2 Thank denverroadtrip
Northern Virginia
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Nice Drive”
Reviewed November 22, 2013

We went from Key West to Marathon, a nice drive, not too many pull offs to see sights and I was not comfortable just pulling off the road onto the shoulder. Did eat at a great restaurant in Marathon called The Island Fish Company, great food and great location on the water.

Visited November 2013
1 Thank Lovetotravel716
Westbury, New York
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“One of the Best Drives you'll ever take!”
Reviewed November 21, 2013

You have to see it and experience it to understand how anyone could get so excited about a road trip, but it is 125 miles of wonderful. Small beaches along the way, marinas, restaurants, shops, and miles and miles of blue green water! Just GO!

Visited September 2013
4 Thank LorraineRosen
metro area Washington, DC
95 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 95 helpful votes
“Wonderful road out to sea.”
Reviewed November 20, 2013

I have watched the keys grow and populate over the many decades of driving to Key West to see my family. On the last trip we stopped at the Seven Mile Bridge, parked and walked on the bridge for a while. I have ridden over that bridge more times than i can count and it wasn't until I walked on it that I realized how narrow it is!! People would fish off of the bridge as cars and tractor and trailor trucks whizzed by them--leaving no margin for error. I've seen those same kinds of trucks dangling over the side of the bridge and fishermen in boats below would rescue the driver from the water. Then, the draw bridge occassionally would get stuck causing traffic to set on the bridge for hours. The new bridge is great for travel, but it holds no uniqueness and no memories like the original bridge. Now, as we drive over the keys we enjoy looking at the turquoise water, the boats, the lush vegetation, and always looking on the poles and wires for cormorants spreading their wings to dry them, or for a hawk's nest. We stop at the little beaches along the keys-Annie's Beach, Little Duck Key Beach (it has another name now) along the way, and we get something to eat and drink, and as always stop at Shell World-both stores. We take a mini vacation on The Overseas Highway. There is no other road like it in the worlld!! So beautiful!!

Visited July 2013