“Amazing drive”

Book In Advance
More Info
$73.83*
and up
Key West Day Trip from Miami with South Beach...
Ranked #21 of 130 things to do in Key West
More attraction details
Owner description: A charming 110 mile highway running the length of the Keys.
Reviewed July 23, 2013

Beautiful drive over many different islands and bridges with many different places to stop. However be prepared. It's 125 miles from the mainland to key west, and it takes 3+ hours.

Write a ReviewReviews (6,278)
All reviews
in 51 reviews
"beautiful scenery"
in 93 reviews

Reviewed July 22, 2013

You can see the sea all over and its beautiful colors... is nice and it connects all the keys. Hopefully you take this highway on a sunny day.

Reviewed July 22, 2013

I love driving to Marathon and Key West (although I've flown into Key West before) because I love driving on the Overseas Highway. Usually I am coming from the Ft. Lauderdale area, but in May, I drove from the Naples area and first drove down Highway 41 (below Alligator Alley) and I actually saw my first live alligator near the highway--what a thrill. Anyway, this time through Homestead, I began my journey down the Overseas Highway.

Now, I am aware that many people who reside in Florida, take the Hellcat fast boat from Ft. Myers or nearby to arrive in Key West within 3 hours filled with wine and snacks. I, however, like to have my own car (or rental) while in Key West, so I prefer the drive due to this and the lovely views of the water along the way. I will be the first to admit that Key Largo has to be the lowliest and most trashy place along the way, but you get through it in 15 minutes or less. Yes, the drive is slow and sometimes there is construction, but hey, it is Florida and you are there to see the Ocean and the water birds and if you are lucky, alligators, and minature deer along the way. So slow down to island time and enjoy the ride.

I admire the views, especially the 7 mile bridge, and Hondia State Park sports one of the most beautiful beaches in the U.S. You get a "flavor" of the people in the Keys along the way, and you can usually find a place to stop for a quick bite or small shops that cater to tourists, etc. if you want to get out and stretch along the drive. I often stop in Islamorada as there are several clean and interesting shops there as well as places to eat and use the facilities. I sometimes stop and get out at one of the "pull-outs" along the highway and just relax and look into the calm waters and sometimes spot a fish or two and some water birds, brown pelicans, or herons. It is relatively safe to do this......just watch out to lock your car and belongings, especially if you have out of state plates. The "locals" are friendly and most anyone will help you find what you are looking for. I love to drive slow and soak it all in.......I never drive to Key West in a hurry, as that would be missing the point of gearing down to "island time" and I don't know of a more calm and serene ride in the U.S. (maybe up to Rocky Mountain National Park?) that I enjoy more than this. If you like Key Lime pie or just want to try it out, there are many places to do that along the way. Yes, what you might have read is true......it is trashy in places, the traffic may be backed up and it is shameless sometimes how the businesses compete to get your business. But ignore all of the trappings, and enjoy it for what it is: a beautiful and natural habitat for marine life and human life to be enjoyed, photographed, and shared. Pick up your trash, thank the locals who help you out, and stimulate their economies........Key West doesn't need all of your money :o) I have stayed in Marathon (50 miles before Key West) and enjoyed its laid-back and calm for a couple of days and I will consider doing that again as visiting the Dolphin Research Center and the fine restaurants there and soaking up their local flavor was just as good to me as being in Key West (although I drove there for the music at night). Be safe and smart, be polite and partake of ALL the Keys have to offer. You can drink and party anywhere, but only on the Overseas Highway will your eyes be bathed for hours in the Carribean-blue vistas.

1  Thank 1bluebutterfly
Reviewed July 21, 2013

We loved the drive from Hallandale to Key West. The views are incredible. There are plenty of places to stop for food. On our way back we stopped at one of the side parking lots and got into the ocean. We were able to walk far out on a sandbar. Enjoy the views and enjoy the drive.