“Duval Desperation”

and up
Key West Haunted Pub Crawl
Ranked #4 of 184 things to do in Key West
More attraction details
Owner description: Popular, busy street offers plenty of shops, restaurants and bars.
Reviewed March 22, 2014

O.K., as a savvy Floridian we made the mistake of booking a trip to Key West during Spring Break. What was I thinking? Thank goodness we didn't book our B&B on Duval Street. We never "did" Duval at night. During the day it was bad enough. Crowded, hot and filled middle-aged drunken men, living-out their alcohol fueled Jimmy Buffett fantasies buy hitting on girls half their age. No wonder Buffett moved. As if paying $20 for a sandwich wasn't enough to kill my appetite -- the waitress with track marks at the first restaurant we ate at was. Duval Street is one of those places where people go to behave badly. It is encouraged, however there comes a point when it just isn't fun. Maybe that point was when some idiot falling out of Sloppy Joe's screamed in my husband's ear: "I am having SO much FUN!!!" while ogling the much-too-young for him coeds, who I think, may have been trying to get away. I believe my husband may have permanent hearing damage. None of this was terribly shocking. Just sort of stupid, desperate and over-priced. Plus it was really hard to find a place that was air-conditioned. What is up with that? Twenty bucks for a sandwich and no air-conditioning? What gives? It's FLORIDA. The shops are filled with tacky souvenirs with naughty sayings. If you want to be offended, you will find something on Duval that will offend. It is not a place for children, although there were scores of people there carting around their kids in strollers.The end of Duval Street near the Hemingway House is more sedate than the obnoxious end where Sloppy Joe's and all the college kids and old drunks collide. It was all quite something to behold, but I don't know if I will ever need to return.

6  Thank Scrapsofoz
Write a ReviewReviews (11,317)
All reviews
in 95 reviews
in 226 reviews
in 116 reviews

Reviewed March 22, 2014

You can't go to Key West and not visit Duval St. Lots of restaurants,pubs,shops and art galleries. We were there on St Patricks day and the street was buzzing. There was a real party atmosphere. Was worried it might be a bit tacky but it wasn't at all. We had a nice walk along it one morning when it was quieter and found a lot to look at.

Reviewed March 22, 2014

We got off the cruise ship and were on Duval street a few minutes later. All the cruise ships stop nearby, so you'll never feel alone or unsafe---even at night. Instead, you'll find yourself surrounded by an endless array of small shops, eateries, and bars (and more bars). The atmosphere tends to be very casual, and parties are easy to find in the evening. We even heard that clothes are optional at some bars and festivals during the year. Just walking and looking in the stores can be fun, as can "touring" the more famous places that Key West is famous for. There is something for all ages, so if liquor is not to your liking, you'll still have a good time.

1  Thank cisco289
Reviewed March 20, 2014

We took the Key West Express from Fort Myers into Key West for an overnight trip to Key West and all I have to say is that I wish it would have been a longer time! I love the island vibe that the city has and ALL THE ROOSTERS!!! Duval Street is definitely THE place to be and I am glad our hotel was right off it...I can wait to go back!