“Eerie......”
Review of Key West Cemetery

Key West Cemetery
Ranked #27 of 169 things to do in Key West
More attraction details
Owner description: A very unusual cemetery - several graves have humorous epitaphs (e.g., "I told you I was sick").
Conneaut, Ohio
23 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Eerie......”
Reviewed January 27, 2014

We only had 30 minutes until the gates closed at 6:00pm, but what an experience. The hens and roosters greeted us and went on about their pecking. We walked around right away spotted a huge Buzzard sitting atop a headstone. When we met back up with the couple that was with us, our friend that doesn't get spooked easily said he was "Creeped out." It is hard to believe that many people have been laid to rest there above ground. I look forward to going back someday to read more of the humorous writings they have on their markers. When we were leaving, the Rooster was giving us a vocal warning on the exit gate. It was if he was saying " Get out".....lol

• Polish first
Montoursville, Pennsylvania
38 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 33 helpful votes
“It's a cemetery............”
Reviewed January 14, 2014

You will need to pick up a brochure with a map and description of some of the interesting people interred here at the building by the Margaret St. entrance. It will make your stroll around the cemetery more meaningful. It is a challenge to find some of the tombstones but makes for a relaxing afternoon. I enjoyed the numerous iguanas basking in the sun on the tombstones. For a very old, tropical cemetery, it is well maintained. Parking is definately a problem so if you are within walking distance, I suggest you walk. Most of the street parking is marked "residential". You may be fortunate enought to find a spot on Margaret St.

Saint Paul, Minnesota
24 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 43 helpful votes
“Interesting bit of history”
Reviewed January 10, 2014

Very interesting and old cemetery, with many unusual and at times humorous headstones. Easy to walk through, but be careful of and on the look-out for iguanas sunning on the markers and grass. Fairly close to city center.

1 Thank MacGregor892
Monroe, Georgia
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Almost missed it.”
Reviewed January 8, 2014

I wish I had given myself more time to tour the cemetery. Lots of interesting markers and history of Key West here. It is well maintained. We drove our car in, but I think you are not supposed to bring your vehicle in. Passed a police car on patrol and he did not stop us.

Visited December 2013
1 Thank imjustbeachy_1
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Interesting walking tour”
Reviewed January 3, 2014

The cemetery in Key West is a lot like the city itself: quirky, crowded, colorful and full of history.
There’s the grave of the real Sloppy Joe – “Sloppy” Joe Russell (1889-1941) who was Ernest Hemingway’s fishing guide and a famous Key West bartender.■A popular stop is B.P. “Pearl” Roberts (1929-1979) who famously had inscribed “I told you I was sick.”
■Nearby, Gloria M. Russell (1926-2000) notes: “I’m just resting my eyes.”

Visited December 2013