“Almost missed it.”
Review of Key West Cemetery

Key West Cemetery
Ranked #28 of 169 things to do in Key West
More attraction details
Owner description: A very unusual cemetery - several graves have humorous epitaphs (e.g., "I told you I was sick").
Monroe, Georgia
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Almost missed it.”
Reviewed January 8, 2014

I wish I had given myself more time to tour the cemetery. Lots of interesting markers and history of Key West here. It is well maintained. We drove our car in, but I think you are not supposed to bring your vehicle in. Passed a police car on patrol and he did not stop us.

1 Thank imjustbeachy_1

• Polish first
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Interesting walking tour”
Reviewed January 3, 2014

The cemetery in Key West is a lot like the city itself: quirky, crowded, colorful and full of history.
There’s the grave of the real Sloppy Joe – “Sloppy” Joe Russell (1889-1941) who was Ernest Hemingway’s fishing guide and a famous Key West bartender.■A popular stop is B.P. “Pearl” Roberts (1929-1979) who famously had inscribed “I told you I was sick.”
■Nearby, Gloria M. Russell (1926-2000) notes: “I’m just resting my eyes.”

1 Thank Kevin C
Charleston, SC
20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“Beautiful”
Reviewed January 2, 2014

Rode our bicycles through and saw the great headstones, from "Captain Outrageous" to "I Told You I Was Sick".

1 Thank BlackCatTours
Port Penn, Delaware
46 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 83 helpful votes
“Peacefull”
Reviewed December 26, 2013 via mobile

Very peace full place to be. We go at sunrise get some Cuban coffee and the Key West Citizen and welcome the morning. Cool unique gravestones include the original Sloppy Joe the famous....See I Told you I was sick headstone(northwest corner in the Jewish section).

1 Thank Luckyinlove2000
Saint Louis, Missouri
34 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 54 helpful votes
“Fun but WAAARRRM”
Reviewed December 25, 2013

I downloaded a map and we walked around the cemetery for over an hour-the map really helps as it highlights all the big names in Key West that are buried there as well as monuments. There isn't much shade though so you will be hot.

1 Thank piratequeenteuta