WINNER WONDERLAND

Review of Key West Cemetery

Key West Cemetery
Ranked #26 of 159 things to do in Key West
More attraction details
Owner description: A very unusual cemetery - several graves have humorous epitaphs (e.g., "I told you I was sick").
Garfield, New Jersey
31 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 36 helpful votes
“interesting and cool!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2013

All graves above ground. Little piece of history. small and compact. Intersting place to see....if you like cemetaries.....which I do lol

Visited July 2013

• Polish first
Atlanta, Georgia
81 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 135 helpful votes
“Go, explore and have fun.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2013

The Key West Cemetery captures the essence of the city itself – humorous, irreverent and just a bit whimsical. I wanted to take a free guided tour, offered Tuesday and Thursday, but it was low season and I was told a tour guide wasn’t available. So, my guesthouse printed a self-guided tour and cemetery map and I set out to explore the cemetery on my bike. It turned out to be fascinating, with interesting bits of history, unique tombstones of the common and famous, plus some eye-catching epitaphs. Because it’s so close to sea level, much of it is above ground.

There is a monument to the U.S.S. Maine, blown up in Havana Harbor killing 260 American sailors, 20 of whom are buried here. You’ll also find the grave of “General” Abe Sawyer, Key West’s famous 40 inch midget who requested burial in the grave of a full size man. And it’s the final resting place of Manuel Cabeza. He enraged the KKK by having a relationship with a mulatto woman, so they tarred and feathered him. In retaliation, he shot and killed one of his persecutors in the middle of Duval St. on Christmas Eve. The next day he was pulled from the jail and lynched. Many of Key West’s movers and shakers are laid to rest here, too.

My favorite epitaphs include, “I told you I was sick,” “I’m just resting my eyes,” and “Devoted Fan of Singer Julio Iglesias.”

Go, explore and have fun.

Visited September 2012
1 Thank William T
Washington DC, District of Columbia
44 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 129 helpful votes
“Mini New Orleans type cemetery”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2013

I could not find the pamphlets giving tips on what to see in the cemetery and so I walked aimlessly in the cemetery. I enjoyed the place, thinking this might be a miniature version of the cemetery in New Orleans, beads on statues etc. We were surprised by the number of small size graves next to larger ones and all surrounded by little wall to separate them from the next plot (family?). We wondered abut the circumstances of these groupings and we were sorry not to have explanations about what we were looking at. We were also surprised to see a grave marker that seemed plucked right out of Arlington, VA, with no other like it anywhere else, resting on another grave and much larger grave. I am glad I saw this little cemetery, a testimony to a culture I wish I knew more about.

Cape Coral, Florida
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“Interesting but come prepared.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2013

A self guided tour of the cemetery that really helped connect to the history and ghost tours we took. We found the Otto sites (Robert the doll owner) which were cool. A bit of hike if you're walking. Come prepared. It is Key West for Pete's sake and you'll be walking on blacktop so it gets hot. Needless to say they have not installed misters and there isn't much shade ( duh- cemetery!).

Ronkonkoma, New York
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 28 helpful votes
“Nice but in June...HOT”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2013

We spent some time here and did some of the self walking tour, very interesting and historical. Would have done more but it was HOT!. Saw roosters and iguanas roming around and would spend more time there if it wasnt so hot. No fee to dio this, Palm trees and animals to see. Also, as a Freemason, was amazed at all the Masonic emblems and graves present seen in our short visit. Even concordant body emblems. Would go back and do more during a differant time of year.