“Graves above ground”
Review of Key West Cemetery

Key West Cemetery
Ranked #26 of 180 things to do in Key West
More attraction details
Owner description: A very unusual cemetery - several graves have humorous epitaphs (e.g., "I told you I was sick").
Reviewed January 31, 2013

I just passed this cemetery on one of the tour buses.

Don't think it is somewhere I would visit, as a cemetery is not of much interest to me.

It is however notable that all graves are above ground due to the geography of the area (not much soil). I think seeing it from a tour bus was enough for me.

Reviewed January 30, 2013

I had read about this cemetary in my guide book that it had some really funny quotes on the gravestones, like the famous one "I told you I was sick". But we didn't see any other. We got a map at the main entrance. It had some information about the graves of famous Key West-people and a couple of tragically killed people. We had to go further so we didn't had time to go around the whole cemetary. It was a little dissapointing to not find any of the "funny quotes" that we were promised in our book, but at least we got to see a cemetary that seemed to be a typical old one.

Reviewed January 30, 2013

We rode our bicycles through this cemetery and it was a great experience. In some cases sad because of the age at death of some of its residents.

Reviewed January 29, 2013

I was on a historic trolley tour and this is a place we stopped. It was pretty neat to see the above ground vaults and the grouping of families in these vaults.

Reviewed January 25, 2013

We loved the cemetary. We saw dates back to the mid 1800's and whole families together. We even saw a live iguana!