“I was amazed”
Review of Key West Cemetery

Key West Cemetery
Ranked #26 of 175 things to do in Key West
More attraction details
Owner description: A very unusual cemetery - several graves have humorous epitaphs (e.g., "I told you I was sick").
Lantana, Florida, United States
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“I was amazed”
Reviewed January 19, 2013

I love to visit very old cemeteries in different states and this was a one of a kind for me. I have never seen one like this but loved it! I got a lot of pictures of very old headstones and I noticed so many babies were lost back then in the 1800's. Will go back when I can walk around not in the rain.

• Polish first
Key West, Florida
41 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 54 helpful votes
“Nice walk”
Reviewed January 14, 2013

Take a nice walk or a bike ride to the Cemetery, at the main gate there are maps to interesting history.

New York, USA
23 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 39 helpful votes
“A Lot of Walking”
Reviewed January 9, 2013

Pick up a map in a mailbox on the door. Don't ask the man inside the office - he gets annoyed. We walked all over and many of the graves sites are interesting the history of Key West is laid out before you.
One epitaph says I told you I was sick!
The original cemetery was at the waterside but was flooded and so this one is on a higher spot and the coffins are in cement containers in double and triple stacks.

1 Thank OmaAnnie
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
22 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 44 helpful votes
“Neat Place Full of History”
Reviewed January 6, 2013

It was amazing to see the history in this cemetery. There were sailors from The Maine which most captivated my interest. There were also graves for locals, rich and poor, as well as foreign nationals. I wish I would have had more time to walk around and explore. They have helpful guides and maps at the entrance.

Los Angeles, California
3 attraction reviews
“A Walk Through Time”
Reviewed December 25, 2012

My wife and I cut through the cemetery and we were glad we did. There is a rich history of the various residents of Key West.

Visited December 2012