“A Lot of Walking” 3 of 5 stars

305 292 6718
Improve this listing
Ranked #25 of 160 things to do in Key West
More attraction details
Owner description: A very unusual cemetery - several graves have humorous epitaphs (e.g., "I told you I was sick").
New York, USA
22 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 33 helpful votes
“A Lot of Walking”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

Pick up a map in a mailbox on the door. Don't ask the man inside the office - he gets annoyed. We walked all over and many of the graves sites are interesting the history of Key West is laid out before you.
One epitaph says I told you I was sick!
The original cemetery was at the waterside but was flooded and so this one is on a higher spot and the coffins are in cement containers in double and triple stacks.

Visited January 2013
1 Thank OmaAnnie

• Polish first
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
21 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 42 helpful votes
“Neat Place Full of History”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

It was amazing to see the history in this cemetery. There were sailors from The Maine which most captivated my interest. There were also graves for locals, rich and poor, as well as foreign nationals. I wish I would have had more time to walk around and explore. They have helpful guides and maps at the entrance.

Visited January 2013
Los Angeles, California
3 attraction reviews
“A Walk Through Time”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2012

My wife and I cut through the cemetery and we were glad we did. There is a rich history of the various residents of Key West.

Galveston Island, Texas
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Very old, historic cemetery!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2012

It is amazing how hold this cemetery is. You won't believe who is buried here! I'm not going to tell you! Have a cocktail and go!

1 Thank MMA8
Wahiawa, Hawaii
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Very cool cemetery”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2012

We enjoyed the walk through the cemetery. There is a section of the cemetery devoted to sailors on the USS Maine, and some very old graves. Many of the tombstones are interesting!