“Historic Site!”

and up
Key West Island Helicopter Tour
Ranked #35 of 180 things to do in Key West
More attraction details
Owner description: A pretty public beach; several vendors rent water sports gear and beach chairs.
Reviewed September 7, 2013

Diana Nyad, the first woman to swim to Florida from Cuba without a shark cage landed at Smathers Beach on September 1, 2013. Take a moment to wade in, look out across the water, and just fathom her accomplishment. This beach has always been beautiful. Now it's inspiring too!

3  Thank sbuete
Write a ReviewReviews (1,114)

Reviewed September 2, 2013

I am a little partial to this because my husband re-proposed to me here and asked me to renew our vows and gave me a new ring!! The sand was not too rough on your feet and what a great view of the water! Free parking, but get there before 11am! We got there before a lot of people and picked a good spot under some palm trees. There is a lot of sea grass here but allows for some beautiful fish spotting! We were able to walk out very far and still be about waste deep. Spent all day here, loved it!! They do have chair, kayak and paddle board rentals; also a snow cone truck.

1  Thank Catie I
Reviewed August 25, 2013

That's a pity we found this beach on our last day - otherwise we would have gone more than once. It is very clean with perfect white sand and clear water. We rented chairs and umbrella and spent the afternoon there. It was way better that Fort Zachary beach and less crowded. The beach is quite large. i don't understand why it is that under rated!

Reviewed August 14, 2013

After you read a few reviews of the beaches in Key West, you realize that they don't compare to many of the beaches up and down the east coast.
We went to Fort Zachary beach, South Beach, Smathers Beach (and walked on Higgs Beach briefly). Each has their own qualities. At Smathers beach, we parked our chairs under a palm tree & and enjoyed the sun, waves and boats going by. We snorkeled a little, found a big conch shell (just like we brought as a souvenir the day before). It still had a live animal inside so I took a photo and put it back. There was a family crowd, much different than I was expecting.

1  Thank William-Scarlette
Reviewed August 5, 2013 via mobile

Went to Smathers a few times. Yesterday 2 homeless couples were on the beach near us so we moved our belongings. They had their suitcases, went in the ocean in full street clothes and went thru thrash cans. Unbelievable.