“Shipwreck Museum”

and up
Key West Shipwreck Treasure Museum
Ranked #58 of 187 things to do in Key West
More attraction details
Owner description: Discover the rich history of Key West’s shipwrecking past at the Key West Shipwreck Treasures Museum. Shipwreck artifacts, including a silver bar you can hold, fill the museum that is recreation of 19th century wrecker’s warehouse. A lookout tower and audio-visual displays share with guests the experiences of the dangerous world of ship wreckers. Storytellers, in period costume, bring history to life with tales ensuring a fun and fascinating experience for the entire family.
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Stairs / elevator
Reviewed July 30, 2013

My husband found this part of Key West history very interesting. Our 11 year old found the artifacts interesting and the mannequins a bit creepy, which was a perfect combination. There is a little something's for everyone. This is a fun kind of stop.
There is a look out tower that gives a great view of the city. This is worth the visit.

All reviews
in 21 reviews
"hemingway house"
in 12 reviews

Reviewed July 22, 2013

I enjoyed it and found it interesting. It gives you a flavor of the wrecking and salvaging industry back in old Key West. The costumed tour guide seemed knowledgeable and tried to make it fun and engaging for our children. Some people might view it as corny but I think it's nice to go to at least once anyway. The view from the top of the lookout was worth it - awesome views of Key West! Our visit here was a good prelude to the Mel Fisher Maritime Museum.

Reviewed July 20, 2013

My husband and I took the museum tour today. We enjoyed it. The staff is very friendly and do a good job of engaging you with interesting history facts. This only lasts for about 10 minutes and then you are able to explore the museum on your own. We really enjoyed learning about this aspect of Key West history. It was air conditioned and a great way to escape the heat for awhile. At $13.99 per adult, we thought it was a good value and learned a lot.

Reviewed July 17, 2013

I was really excited at the prospect of viewing articles salvaged from a shipwreck - not getting a lengthy, boring, lackluster history lesson. At the start, visitors have to endure a rather unexciting talk intended to perk the interest? It bored my eight year-old son who got so turned off, he wanted to leave and not do the tour. The management needs to find a way to get that portion of the tour on audio and run it while visitors explore the museum. We left halfway through presentation as my son was getting too fidgety. After that, I was so turned off I did not want to explore the artifacts. The only redemptive part of this is climbing the tower to see Key West from up high. DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY ON THIS ONE, ESPECIALLY IF YOU HAVE YOUNG CHILDREN.

Clinton C, General Manager at Key West Shipwreck Treasure Museum, responded to this reviewResponded July 18, 2013

I was sorry to read that your visit to the Key West Shipwreck Treasure Museum did not meet your expectations. We do offer a 100% money back guarantee with all of our tours which you can easily access by visiting the customer service area of our website.