“Wonderful, Relaxing Experience”

Ranked #28 of 51 Hotels in Key West
Palm Beach Gardens, Florida
“Wonderful, Relaxing Experience”
Reviewed May 30, 2011

We were six family members in Key West for a wedding. We stayed in one of the 3 bedroom suites. The rooms were well appointed. The first level had a fully equiped kitchen, dining area and living room. Each bedroom had its own bath and flat screen TV. The grounds are lushly landscaped. Staff is friendly and helpful. All in all, a lovely place. We will stay there again on our next trip to Key West.

2 Thank whhbjh

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,042)
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
Copenhagen, Denmark
Reviewed May 30, 2011

Stayed at Parrot for 3 nights. We booked the room several month in advance, and got an early bird discount (20 % off) - at least that's what we thought. A couple of days before arrival prices were checked, and we were surpriced so see that the price was 40$ lower than our (special early bird rebate) price! We mentioned that upon check-in but it was not until we demanded a discount or something else that we were upgrade to a 2 bedroom suite (to a price that we original paid...). The rooms were nice and very well kept - no critisism there! Free wi-fi, nice pools (although it would have been nice with a childrens pool instead of 4 almost identical pools!). Agree with some other comments, that the pictures of the "beach" gives the wrong impression and that this is definately overselling the resort. Also the 25$ resort fee is strange...why not just include that in the price??

3 Thank thvid
Washington D.C.
Reviewed May 28, 2011

We studied the reviews on tripadvisor extensively before selecting Parrot Key to stay at during a busy weekend. The reviews we read seemed like the resort was truly excellent. Also their website gave me the impression that this place is truly unique. I must admit that we were disappointed. I have been debating between 2 dots vs. 3 dots.

Bottom line: Parrot Key was not all that I expected it to be, given their beautiful website that shows these gorgeous rooms and expansive beach. Overall was rather expensive for the value.

1) There is no beach. There is a strip of sand along 2 sides of the resort. A few beach chairs. No staff, no services. Want a drink? Get it yourself at the pool bar. I understand they cannot have a beach in Key West, but the impression we got from the website was VERY different -- both my wife and I were left with the impression that they had a nice beach. A case of misleading / false advertising?

2) Our room, 66A, was much more basic appearing than the impression I got from the website. First, the room had no carpet. Makes it easy to clean, but I just prefer to walk on carpet with my bare feet. The room had a 32 inch LCD TV on a rack with drawers, a small desk, and a small bathroom. Small porch in the back. I thought it was average, about what i'd expect for a room costing $125-150 a night, not over $250 that we paid for a saturday night (we stayed for 2 nights).

3) NOISE. The room fronted one of the pools. What ticked me off is that there was dense shrubbery surrounding the pool, so we could not see the pool, but we could HEAR everything -- it was loud enough so that we needed earplugs for our afternoon nap. The website said the rooms overlook the pools. Again -- misleading advertising?

3) they put a $200 charge for "incidentals" on your credit card. Yes, they return that $200 if you don't have any drinks at the bar or eat at their restaurant. But if you are close to your credit limit on your card, that 200 may prevent you from using your credit card elsewhere while you are on KW.

4) they have a mandatory $25 "resort" fee. Ok, I got parking and internet. But for people who don't have cars and don't use the internet, this is a waste of money.

6) one good point -- the facilities are in very good condition. Our room was clean. Gotta give credit where it's due.

One last comment -- It seems that some people who rated this place 5/5 had one of the multi-level cottages, with a kitchen, etc. I can't speak for the cottages, but the standard rooms were quite average.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
8 Thank thunderblaster1
South Bound Brook, New Jersey
Reviewed May 27, 2011

We stayed at the Parrot Key for 1 week. It was my wife and two kids and my parents. We stayed in a 3 BR with a beautiful Sunset view. The apt was all brand new. Granite Counter top and SS appliances in Kit. Nice new Flat Panel LCD in each room and Living Room.
The back opened to a nice sand covered area for laying out in sun and kids to play in sand.
There is a sunset bridge where I took lots of Pics. There are 4 pools and they are heated. They were not too deep and had walk in stairs for kids to sit and swim from. The resorts was within walking distance of Walgreens,CVS and a Windixie Supermarket. There is a Publix Supermarket it is better stocked and nicer than WinnDixie it about 2 lights away. The poolside bar and restaurant is OK for adults but lacked a menu for standard meals and kids stuff. We ended up going to Wendy's down the street for reliable Chix Nuggets for kids. The hotels is away from the Duval Street party scene but the island is so small only takes a few minutes by Cab.

1 Thank ErikAlv
Trowbridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 24, 2011

We have just returned from a 2 week family holiday to Disney in Florida. We decided to visit the Keys for 2 nights and booked this resort. We paid $288 and it was a true delight when we arrived at our wonderful, clean 2 bedroom apartment.

The buildings are designed like minature wooden cottages in amongst trees and flowers and surround 4 swimming pools. A lovely relaxing resort and within a short distance from the centre of Key West.
I would recommend couples, families and groups to stay here.

We had a separate lounge area with sofa's and fridge plus a 42" plasma tv on the wall. In fact their was a 32" plasma with cable TV and on demand TV in each bedroom. We had an ensuite in each room (large with bath and separate shower cubicle). Both rooms had large king size beds and were decorated in light & modern decor. Very high spec.

A jewel in the crown in all and the Reception staff were overly friendly and helpful.
Book your stay now!

1 Thank CharlesandCharlie
Miami, Florida
Reviewed May 23, 2011

I haven't been to the Keys in years and I was skeptical as to what resort to stay in because I was with my children and I didn't want to be in a location that was too hectic or close to the bars in Duval street. I also didn't want to be far from the beach and of course far from all the activities. So when I found this resort and I saw all of the other fantastic reviews, I figured I'd give them a chance. Might I add I was NOT disappointed. As soon as my 7 year old and I walked in, we were pleasantly surprised and thrilled with how beautiful the cottage was. It's more like a New York style townhouse with three floors of blissful beauty. The rooms are rather comfortable. The kitchen fully equipped. The balconies (all three of them) VERY spacious and all with gorgeous views. To top it off, the location of this resort is superb. It's right down the road from Publix, right next door to Walgreen's, and a K-Mart across the street.... and any mother with 3 children knows how important it is to have access to these stores. Moreover, as soon as I walked in to check in, I was greeted by an inviting, friendly staff who was extremely knowledgeable of the current activities in the area. Once again, this was a remarkable resort. 5 STARS all the way. In fact, we plan on booking my birthday at the Marathon Resort.

3 Thank Reyna27
Killeen, Texas
Reviewed May 22, 2011

This resort is absolutely beautiful! The landscaping is immaculate and the accomodations flawless. I received an upgrade to a cottage and felt spoiled and appreciated. Thank you!

Room Tip: Book early