“If You Do Nothing else in Key West...”

Lloyd's Tropical Bike Tour
Ranked #35 of 283 Tours in Key West
Dundalk, Maryland
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 37 helpful votes
“If You Do Nothing else in Key West...”
Reviewed October 10, 2012

take Lloyd's bike tour. The tour which takes about 2 hours is done at a leisurely pace, stopping all long the way at interesting stops like the Magnificent Macaws, the Key West Wildlife Center and back alley roads and fruit trees. It was interesting and very entertaining. I enjoyed his sense of humor! I normally do not do any of the tours in town but this one is different and I thoroughly enjoyed it. The stops he made are some I don;t think I would have ever known about.

Visited October 2012

Naples, Florida
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 79 helpful votes
“Curb your enthusiasm (?!)”
Reviewed October 4, 2012

Sorry, couldn't resist the play on words...Lloyd's is not a "tour", it's an experience. Maybe because he's a NY transplant to KW & we come from New England, we "got him". The first thing he did while we assembled for our group was play "Strangers in the Night" on a conch shell. OK, I thought - this is contrived silliness. But in Lloyd's hands, it was just silly fun. Yes, you could rent your own bikes & ride around KW, but it's much more fun to have Lloyd as your guide. If you're expecting something slick & organized to justify the $ spent, or if you left your sense of humor someplace else, you won't like this. Oh well...We did all the things others mentioned - stopping by Nancy Forrester's parrot sanctuary (such a shame her place has been so diminished by circumstances), fed the turtles, picked fruit from the backyard of a private home, and a few other stops Lloyd probably spontaneously decided upon. We thought it was relaxing & fun. Lloyd certainly gives you a sense of what it's like to be a KW full time resident; what he tells you is his opinion & you can take it or leave it. Maybe the experience is a bit expensive, but you have a single individual's full attention for 3+ hours, seeing things you might not otherwise notice. What would YOU charge if you were doing something similar in YOUR hometown??!!

Visited September 2012
carney's point
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“The best part of this tour has been reading the tripadvisor reviews”
Reviewed September 3, 2012

The best part of this tour has been reading what others have had to say about it. The ones that hated the tour have come up with some very funny comments, although I don't think they intended to be funny. They have made me laugh and helped me to forget the time and money that I wasted on this tour. It is not a tour. It should be called Lloyd's Bike Ride and Ramble. Serves to show that the NYT is not the Gospel.

Visited September 2012
8 Thank catherine c
LloydMager, Owner at Lloyd's Tropical Bike Tour, responded to this review, October 2, 2012
I understand your disappointment and I am sorry. I have learned you cant please everyone. My tour is nature oriented and does not focus on historical facts. There is no mention of historical information in any of my marketing literature. My tour is unique and personal and no one else does what I do.I stand by that now and forever. Once again I am sorry for any displeasure you might have experienced.
sincerely yours, Lloyd Mager
Crescent, Iowa
“Great Way to See Key West!!! Lloyd was a trip!!!”
Reviewed August 25, 2012

My husband and I went on Lloyd's Tropical Bike Tour in July 2012. We had an AWESOME time! Lloyd is an east coast transplant to Key West. Enjoyed his sense of humor and very knowledgeable of the area, animals, animal habitats and vegetation. Not your typical bike tour! If you are not into the tourist traps of every cruise port, this is the tour for you! We went to some great animal sanctuaries, fed the turtles, took pictures with some beautiful birds, enjoyed some DELICIOUS fruits while on a very laid back bike ride enjoying the beauty of Key West. Good tour for couples, friends and families. Well priced. About 3-4 hour tour. A little walk from the Cruise Terminal. Would not recommend for those who want a fast paced adventure. When we go back to Key West, would definitely do the tour again! KUDOS to LLOYD!!! Matt Lauer and Al Roker from the Today Show really missed out! This is a treasure tour in the Keys! If you go, tell Lloyd "The couple from Iowa who wrote the review on TripAdvisor recommended the tour!" Have fun!

Visited July 2012
Gainesville, Florida
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 30 helpful votes
“Not what I expected...”
Reviewed August 3, 2012

If I had it to do over again, I would rent my own bike and tour Key West or try out the Key Lime Bike Tour (haven't heard anything about it,though). Lloyd gave us no useful information about Key West, seemed to have no route planned, shared little to no history with us and made random stops to pick up fruit off the sidewalk while ranting about various city councilmen. It could have been so much better! I can't believe he's been in business for thirty years, it was like it was his first day. The highlight of the tour was the wonderful Mango we ate (best one I've ever tasted) and seeing Key West by bicycle, which I'll definitely do again! Save your $35 per person and DIY..

Visited July 2012
6 Thank Starke_FloridaKdm
LloydMager, Owner at Lloyd's Tropical Bike Tour, responded to this review, October 25, 2012
sincerely yours, Lloyd Mager