“A GEM FROM THE PAST”

African Queen Canal Cruise
Ranked #7 of 72 things to do in Key Largo
More attraction details
Owner description: In 2012 the iconic boat the African Queen was restored for her 100 year centennial celebration. In May 2012 she once again began plying the waters of Key Largo and currently offers canal and dinner cruises. We go out daily at 10am, 12am, 2pm, 4pm and 6pm. On Fridays and Saturdays at 6pm we offer a dinner cruise to the Pilot House Marina where passengers disembark and enjoy dinner in the restaurant before boarding the vessel once again to return to the Marina Del Mar. Dinner and lunch cruises are also available on request for groups of at least 4 people.
Staten Island,Ny
32 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 123 helpful votes
“A GEM FROM THE PAST”
Reviewed May 24, 2013

I was supposed to take a cruise on the African Queen but when I timed my arrival I was in between tours. I waited for it to get back from the tour but I couldn't go on the boat ride. It cost $49 per person, and when I talked to the people that got off the boat they enjoyed it alot. Before I talked to the people, I went to the beginning of the canal and watched the boat steam its way toward the dock. It brought back old memories about the famous movie the African Queen with Humphrey Bogart. I was down their when the Humphrey Bogart film festival was going on. I talked to the captain and I was lucky to be their when the owner was at the boat. He let me go on the boat and I took some pictures. It was a great experience and I enjoyed it very much.

1 Thank tarpon89

Mount Laurel, New Jersey
22 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“African Queen Dinner Cruise”
Reviewed May 20, 2013

My wife and I went on the African Queen Dinner Cruise in April of 2013. Actually what happens is the African Queen takes you on a half hour cruise, stops at a restaurant for about an hour and a half and then brings you back to the dock after dinner. The cruise through the canals is very nice with the captain commenting on many of the sights on the way. The dinner was just OK, nothing fancy and at an open air restaurant. I would have rated this a 4 star, but the food does not earn that rating.

Visited April 2013
2 Thank Joe R
Michigan
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Enjoyable time”
Reviewed May 18, 2013

Last month while in Key Largo we decide to take the African Queen cruise because it is my favorite old movie. We had a great time. Our Captain knew so much about the history of the boat and the pictures from the movie were really neat. Both my husband and I got to take over the rudder for a while. We very much enjoyed the ride and would recommend this to others.

Visited April 2013
2 Thank JustKelly2
Bonita Springs, Florida
98 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 85 helpful votes
“Felt like Bogey and Hepburn could be on board.”
Reviewed May 14, 2013 via mobile

How great to know someone cared enough to restore the African Queen boat. It's in great shape and they do a good job of telling the history of the boat and keeping the magic alive. There are even photos from the movie and a guest book for all to sign. It's a slow ride down the canal into the Atlantic, not much to see, but being on the real boat is the reason to take the trip, not the sights.

2 Thank Heff17
Edwardsville, Illinois
30 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 172 helpful votes
“Authentic Boat Great People”
Reviewed May 9, 2013

The attraction here is obviously the boat. It is the real deal and the first 10 - 15 minutes of the trip are spent telling you about the history of the boat and how it got to be in Key Largo. It is so authentic our trip was delayed about 15 minutes while repairs were made to the steam engine and the steam pressure was brought up.. You could almost imagine that was Bogie down there fiddling with it. Once underway there is nothing like the chug chug chug of a a real steam engine. The trip is powered by the steam engine, not some hidden outboard. The guide/pilot is extremely knowledgeable and obviously loves his job. The boat only holds six people. The trip is up the canal to the ocean and back. Not all that scenic unless you are into million dollar houses lining the canal.

The shore staff was extremely friendly and helpful.

The boat is not wheelchair accessible. You have to be able to climb down about four stairs into the boat from the dock. Not sure how Hepburn managed, but there is no restroom facility on the boat. There is no shade on the boat.

1 Thank Washburns