“Not Great, But Cheaper Than Most”

Stone Ledge Paradise Inn Motel
Ranked #12 of 17 Key Largo B&B and Inns
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Not Great, But Cheaper Than Most”
Reviewed November 29, 2013

This is a really difficult place to review. For the price we paid, I would rate Stone Ledge as ‘terrible’ if it wasn’t for the context of the location; in the expense of the Keys this motel is cheaper than most.

We stayed in two different rooms (because we extended our stay and the first room we had wasn’t available on the second night). The first room was right next to the road (fortunately road noise doesn’t bother us) and it wasn’t very good quality at all – but it contained a bed with clean sheets and had a functional (if a bit grotty) bathroom and thus it met most of our basic needs (no coffee-maker though) albeit at a price far higher than I would have preferred to pay.

Our second room was around $10 more (bigger room; twin beds) and was further away from the road. It was quieter and slightly better presented but was still very dated and tired and still not the sort of place where you walk in and say ‘wow’ (or at least, not for the right reasons!).

On the plus side, the ‘beach’ at the back is lovely and we did receive a very friendly welcome, but neither of those features make up for the fact that there are some basic tidying and maintenance issues in these rooms that, for the price being charged, should be dealt with.

Room Tip: Room 1 is nearest the road, so if you don't like road noise (and it is quite noisy) then ask for...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Florida
Reviewed November 7, 2013

We were looking for a place to stay in Key Largo, as we were passing through on our way home from Meeting of the Minds in Key West. Pics and reviews of the Stoneledge online looked okay, overall, most people gave decent reviews. So, I booked & paid for the room. After a long, exhausting weekend, we finally arrive at Stoneledge on a Sunday evening 11/3/13.

We have been traveling for over 30 years and by no means are we high maintenance or upscale..I have stayed in little beachside/sea towns with older cottages in the past and regardless of the age of the buildings, they have always been well kept, clean and adorable little places......

I understand Stoneledge is a local no-frills older establishment. Upon arriving & driving up to the place, we were not impressed at all..the grounds/area and the buildings were not kept up at all, noticed the units had broken screens, broken steps, and thought if the outside looks this bad, what do the inside of the rooms look like?

Head to the office to check in..door is locked with a note to call a phone #. Called the # and the woman was down by the waterway assisting a friend. She was very pleasant . She opens the office door and we're hit with this bloom of moth ball smell ! Ugggg nearly gagged! Office was also not kept up and appeared dirty. I'm already second guessing myself for booking here! However, we continue to check in and that went very quickly. I did notice when she pulled our key off the rack on the wall, that ours was the only key missing, are we the only fools staying here?? Yep, that was a sign right there and soon, we'll find out why no one else is staying there!

So, we head to our room .....certainly NOT as portrayed in pics or reviews!! The first thing I notice is the awful smell! I don't know what chemicals were used in that room, but the smell was sickening , immediately caused my allergies to kick in... Certainly not an odor/fumes someone should be breathing in if they were to actually sleep there!!! I also noticed the room was dirty as if it has not had a good scrubbing in decades! Bathroom was moldy... bathroom window glass was broken...window screens were bent & not in window properly...front door had a gap between the door/wall and door/floor so who knows what kind of creepy crawly things would come on in during the night ! First I checked the bed for bedbugs...then sat on the bed expecting it to be soft, what a surprise when I sat that it was like sitting on a sheet of plywood !!

Five minutes in that room was more than enough. I wouldn't let a dog stay in that room, let alone my husband and I !!! We immediately went back to the office and without any questions asked, got a full refund. I told her it was disgusting/filthy and asked if this happens often. Her reply was "no and that's why i'm giving your money back...if a lot of people asked for their money back, then I would give you a hard time" Okay, well, that made no sense whatsoever !?!?! I was quickly given a credit onto my credit card and we left the place !!

So, last minute we had to find another place for lodging for the night. We wound up at the Hampton Inn, which was a bit higher priced than what I would have liked to have spent for just one night. Considering the Stonelege was over $87 for a crappy hole in the wall place, the Hampton Inn was $110. it was beautiful, clean and had a terrific breakfast ! Come to find out after we checked in at the Hampton Inn that friends were staying 2 miles down the road at the Bayside Inn for $79 pls tx for the night!! Another beautiful place and same price as this Stone ledge dump !

The Stoneledge is in serious need of an overhaul inside and out ! It has the potential to be a really great place, cute little rooms that with some T.L.C and repairs , could really be a nice place to stay . However, I would NOT recommend even considering this place in the condition it is in now.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank mischief1966

Travelers are raving about these Key Largo hotels

Boca Raton
Reviewed July 16, 2013

We arrived at the motel early and the owner let us check in early too which was already a great start for us! The room was fairly clean; however, the bed was a bit squeaky. We walked over to the connecting beach and dock and were amazed at the view! We saw several islands from where we stood and the water was the most beautiful blue/green. There was a swinging bench and several clean chairs to lay on. All our requests were accommodated for willingly by the motel owner and we were overall happy with our stay here.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Wish888
Cape Coral, Florida
Reviewed May 27, 2013

In 2010, I had reservations somewhere else in Key Largo. Upon arrival, I knew it wasn't the place for me & my dog (Bruce). I drove - a little aimlessly - and turned into the Stone Ledge. It seemed my car almost made that turn on its own, as if Fate had willed it. Jose was there to greet me, as if I were a returning guest. It felt like home right away. I simply rented a unit with a kitchen sight unseen - after seeing the Sanctuary, a magical little part of the property where I could see that I could practice my yoga - I just knew this was the place for me. I've been back 3 times now, and look forward to my next trip there next week for 3 nights. I'm meeting long-time friends traveling from Colorado who'll be staying for a week.
I can't say enough about the beauty of the property and the people - especially Barb and also Jose - at this little slice of Heaven on Earth. Traveling near or far, it's important to me that the people whose guest I am, understand my needs and are there for me to make my visit a great experience. And the property itself is so special. It beats the heck out of the Hilton (to me) where I'd stayed before in Key Largo. If you're a nature-lover, a diver, a kayaker (yes, Stone Ledge's kayaks are free for all to enjoy (!) and Jose will help you put in if you need assistance), a bicyclist ... or just someone who likes to chill out & read outside as well, this is THE PLACE.
Also, it's a great "home base" if you want to explore the middle & lower Keys. When my husband and I go together, he enjoys a day trip to Key West while we stay at Stone Ledge. But honestly? We find ourselves wanting to get "home" to see the sunset. To sit on the dock or in the gorgeous and comfy new lounge chairs on the Bay there ... to unwind with drinks we make ourselves in our kitchen ... to watch our dog play while the sun sets ... to say a warm and friendly "good night ... see you tomorrow!" to Barb and Jose ... quite simply, what's not to love??!!
Yes, the rooms are clean & the beach is super well kept. But (!) It is the PEOPLE and the natural beauty of Stone Ledge Paradise Inn that make it one of my favorite places in the world to visit, over & over again. It's a one-of-a-kind treasure.
I'll be there as often as I can, always!
- Steffi, Doug (and little dog, Bruce) Goldman
Cape Coral, FL

• Stayed January 2013
1 Thank Steffigoldman
Bern, Switzerland
Reviewed April 27, 2013

In few short words: Fantastic value! We stayed on 3 different locations during our visit of the "keys". This was definitely the best place. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The room was big and very clean. We loved the small relaxing place at the waterfront. New and comfortable sunbeds and in the evening it's a good idea to use the free canoes for a trip in the bay. Also fast WIFI!

Room Tip: The higher the number the further away from the street. We stayed in 20... perfect!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank nhallm
north west
Reviewed March 31, 2013

The price is right here, we were being quoted 200 to 400 dollars everywhere else but got a double here for under 100 dollars. The rooms are basic and could do with a deep clean but the shower was good and the bed clean and comfortable. We were away from the road so it was quiet but I would avoid the rooms nearer the entrance. The guy in reception was extremely helpful and pleasant and there was a laid back surfy vibe to the place. The best thing about it was the little wooden dock at the end. We sat out there with a couple of beers looking at the stars and the view of the ocean, heavenly. If you want luxury, don't stay here. If you somewhere cool and cheap in a great location stay here. They also have a little meditation space with statues for doing your yoga.

Room Tip: Get a room away from the road.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank NorthWestLulu
Canton, Ohio
Reviewed February 7, 2013 via mobile

Traveling by bike thru the keys we want to find a decent place for reasonable price. Refrig, good wi_fi. No coffee maker in the 2 bed room but the manager got us one from another room. We had our own coffee. There was nice beach area with chairs. Pictures on trip advisor make the place look a little more glamoros than it really is. Price. Lower than other places.

• Stayed February 2013