“Excellent Experience”

Quiescence Diving Services
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Since 1977 Quiescence has concentrated on providing it's clientele with an un-crowded and personalized way to enjoy the sport of diving - both scuba diving and snorkeling. We have three boats here at Quiescence, and each operates with a maximum of six passengers to provide each customer with personalized attention, comfort, and safety. This also gives us the ability to take our divers out to spots not normally visited by divers. Our charters operate within the Key Largo National Marine Sanctuary, John Pennekamp State Park, and beyond. Each dive location is selected first and foremost by the customer's wishes, supported by recommendations by the Captain as to local conditions.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed March 24, 2009

My 17-year old son and I recently dove with Quiescence. I was very impressed by their level of organization and safety rules - no one walks around with a BCD on their back; the captain puts it in your back as you are sitting on the edge of the boat with your feet on the platform at the back of the boat. It is, likewise, taken off your back as soon as you step on the boat, turn around and sit on the edge of the boat. Also, only 1 diver approaches the boat at a time to get out of the water - others wait on a long rope strung out behind the boat until they are called by the captain. When the boat is rocking in the waves i think these rules are really smart. Our guide, Chelyn, was helpful and fun; and the captain gave great pre-dive briefings. I can't imagine a dive experience being much better. The locations we went to were interesting and shallow (which is what we wanted since we are newbies). I will certainly go back as soon as I can.

3  Thank twitterfox

Reviewed February 15, 2009

We recently dove with Quiescence once again. This time, my 14 year old son was getting his check out dives done. His instructor was Steve Campbell who was experienced and a very good instructor.

As with all dives, they will proceed even if you are the only ones diving. My son was the only one getting his check outs. Of our 3 reef trips, for 2 of them we were the only customers but they still went. Captain John was great as usual - very pleasant and easy to talk to. Captain Harry was very helpful and kind to my son.

We had a most enjoyable time once again. I hope to travel back to Florida within a year or two and will dive with them again.

4  Thank archtraveler
Reviewed January 7, 2009

Convenient location on Hwy 1 next to Marriott. Private dock next to cut to reef. Three 6-pack boats. Equipment & handling was good. Instruction was outstanding. We were there for OW ref dives. Instructor Jason was clear, concise, knowledgeable, thorough, safe, patient, empathetic, friendly - everything I would want in an instructor. Capt Tim was safe, experienced, knowledgable, clear, concise, friendly. Just a great overall experience. I will not hesitate to return.

3  Thank vcwatkins
Reviewed December 13, 2008

We had 10 people who wanted to do a snorkel trip of Pennekamp. I thought a small boat operator would be better than the "cattle boats" so we paid a little more to have 6 person boats. We had intended to stay together but since it was a little rough they asked us to split up as there were two divers on one of the snorkel boats. This was a little dissappointing as we would have liked to stay together so you may want to go with a snorkel only company to avoid this (to be fair they gave us the option to stay together but with some little ones we chose to go in the more protected waters for the boat with the younger kids. The other boat went into deeper waters for the divers so the water was rougher).

The trip was good overall but the younger kids who had not been before struggled a little in the water (we rented wet suits to keep them warm as the water was cool and this helps them float). The reef was nice and there was a nice variety of fish including baracuda and other colorful reef fish.

The one downer to the trip were the moon jelly fish were in season and both my son and daughter were stung. Usually this is not a big deal but my daugther had a pretty bad allergic reaction and huge welts on her legs. I understand that Nov-Dec is the high season for these creatures so keep this in mind and you may want a full bodied wet suit to protect you from the stings.

Since we had the entire boat for 6 of us we were able to move to several different spots on the reef and requested to see the famous underwater Jesus statue that was pretty neat.

The other boat had a rough first stop for snorkeling but their second stop was much better and they were able to see a lot of fish but in general the water was a bit rough for both of us on this particular day.

The staff at the shop was very helpful getting us our gear and making sure we had gear that fit properly and the captains did a good job but the seas were not the best that day for younger swimmers.

Overall Quiescence did a good job but if you have a large group you need to either reserve entire boats or be at the mercy of the locations the divers and snorkelers can both go to which tend to be in open water which may be fine on a calm day but if there is any chop it is more difficult for younger or inexperienced snorkelers

4  Thank buckeyetravel
Reviewed October 5, 2008

This dive operator caters to small groups of divers, 6 or less. They will take you where you want to go; reefs, wrecks, etc. Steve was our Captain/Dive Master and did an excellent job!

They have a couple of sixpack boats to accomodate divers and you drive your car and park within feet of the boats to aid in loading the gear. They get your equipment on board, and your BC/Regs hooked up to your tank.

Safety is of utmost importance to them. No cutting corners here.

I will dive again with this shop on my next trip to Key Largo!

4  Thank DiverChaz