“Avoid Room 108”

Ranked #18 of 20 Hotels in Key Largo
Avon Lake
“Avoid Room 108”
Reviewed February 5, 2013

After reading mixed reviews that seemed to have an improving curve, I decided to give this motel a try. I am hear to tell you that room #108 confirmed every prior negative review. As we registered at the front desk Lorie was very pleasant, I remembered reading a favorable review referencing a Lorie at the front desk cutting up some coconuts for a happy guest and became more hopeful. As I approached the room it appears someone had slit the screen by the front window, ignored that did not want to scare my wife. Went into the room and went to open the patio door to gets some fresh air confirmed my fears about the front window this door had been physically damaged sometime ago by a forced entry. Began to recall the negative reviews referencing how rough this motel was reported to be back in 2009 and 2011. Talked with my wife and started to look for another place to stay. Not being a football fan, did not realize that this was Super Bowl Weekend. Over the next days of our stay I realized that all of the negative reviews are absolutely correct. The tub was defective they tried to repair it by installing a patch job using fiberglass cloth and glue. It did not work so they simply removed the drain stop so you could fill the tub. The sink stops had been disconnected. The first night I awoke and the front desk red call button indicated I had a message, I called the front desk, no answer! Called the next morning and Lorie answered and quickly explained she would fix the problem, the red light went off. Two days I wake in the middle of the night I have a red light indicating to me to call the front desk. You guessed it no answer and the problem is still there. I remembered how sincere the apologies were from Tarainn and the general manager who replaced her when they answered negative reviews Thats when it hit me the Key West Inn policy is apologize but don't correct the problem. I remember one policy the manager referred to that since they get complaints about the nightclub across the canal they try to steer guests away from this room. We (my wife and I are seniors) made our reservation approximately 5-7 weeks in advance arrived early and were assigned by Lorie to room 108 directly across from the night club room108. To give you an insight into the quality of the kitchen the refrig has been repaired with Duct Tape. I could repeat for you the numerous faults other guests have reported over the past three years but you can check them. I'll give you one more example, When we checked out my wife did not want to pay a phony in room safe charge (picture this the charge totalled $6 dollars over our four day stay) She held my wife up at the front desk for forty five minutes, I told my wife sign the 850 dollar bill and asked the front desk who could not make the adjustment to put me in contact with the manager. She stated her name was Lorie Diebor and she was the front desk manager and she was not going to correct the issue since I was not speaking to her properly . If you stay at this place my best advice is do not accept room 108, if you do you have my sympathy.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank diverrenko
Manager33037, General Manager at Key West Inn - Key Largo, responded to this review, February 22, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review the Key West Inn at Key Largo. We are very sorry you did not enjoy your stay with us. We do our best to please every guest. If a guest ahs a problem with a certain room we generally move them to one more suitable. Again, we apologize for any inconvenience.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (107)
Michigan City, Indiana
Reviewed January 22, 2013

Our recent experience was pretty bad. Our room was old and dirty. Although surface clean, the carpet was from the 80's, nasty. The bathroom was held together by caulk and the interior paint job reminded me of a seedy motel where drug dealers and prostitutes hang out.

The pool was unbelievably bad. The whole thing is a heap of flaking paint and cracked concrete. Beyond that, it was full of bugs and overly cold for a "heated pool." My guess is, no one would ever swim in it, so why heat it?

• Stayed January 2013

Travelers are raving about these Key Largo hotels

MORENO VALLEY
Reviewed January 21, 2013

Nice 2 story suites with full kitchens backing to a channel. The wifi is terrible, but if that doesn't matter to you, than I highly recommend this place. Great price considering how expensive this area is. I liked backing to this channel because there was lots of activity: Diving and snorkeling boats coming and going, active bar/restaurant across the channel. Be sure you have two remotes for your TV, I didn't and front person didn't know where the other one was, had to wait for the next day when maintenance person was there to get that solved.

I wish the screening on porch was roll up or sliding. At this time of the year, you don't really need it, bugs aren't rally bad like the summer. Ceiling fan in patio would have been nice. But if wifi was fixed, I'd stay here again. LOTS of restaurants nearby. Snorkeling boat tix selling at premises.

Room Tip: Ask for one with a flat screen, they are changing them out right now. The noise of the bar might bot...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Port Charlotte, Florida
Reviewed December 26, 2012 via mobile

Hotel is a split level timeshare type accommodation with full kitchen. Must take steps to get up to unit and then unit is split level with bedroom upstairs. Clean but dated. Balcony overlooks canal which was nice. Sheltered parking. No amenities such as shampoo, conditioner, etc. Okay considering price and location.

Spokane, Washington
Reviewed December 9, 2012 via mobile

This townhouse is set up nicely for staying a week or more except for limited amount of kitchenware. I did not appreciate being lied to about having HBO! hadn't even asked about it. When we checked out I asked them to remove the phone and safe charges ($6--since we didn't use them) and they did so. We loved relaxing on the screened-in porch facing the canal including the live music which ended about 10 pm. The short walk to the boats on the canal provides access to all sorts of water-sport businesses including the African Queen! I appreciated having three separate areas to spend time in: balcony, living room w/TV, and upstairs bedroom w/TV and second bathroom.

2 Thank jlrmac
Manager33037, General Manager at Key West Inn - Key Largo, responded to this review, December 10, 2012
Thanks you for taking the time to review The Key West Inn at Key Largo. We are pleased to see that you enjoyed your suite and the surrounding areas. I apologize about the HBO. We do have the channel, but there was some issue with the service provider. We look forward to seeing you in the future.
Mortlake, Victoria, Australia
Reviewed December 8, 2012 via mobile

This place is quite old and shows its age in places.
However the rooms are really large and very comfortable. Better than that we were able to shop at the local Publix and cook for ourselves in the fully equipped kitchen.
Great spot to stop but don't be mislead by the name of the place. It is in Key Largo and is over 80 miles to Key West.
Good value though.

• Stayed December 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review The Key West Inn. I'm pleased to see that you enjoyed your stay and our spacious rooms. We try our best to give our guest the best rooms at the best rates. We look forward to seeing you in the future.
Brunswick, Georgia
Reviewed December 4, 2012

These are extremely spacious townhouse style rooms. Downstairs you have a separate living room with queen sofa sleeper, bathroom with shower, kitchen with eat in table, full refrigerator, microwave, stove/oven and stocked with dishes and utensils. It has a very nice sized balcony with another table and chairs. The balcony is screened in, which I would have at times have liked to be able to open up and lean out but it does make it pleasant for sitting out there and watching the boat traffic on the canal. As others noted there is a bar across the canal with live music but it is the perfect volume, not intrusive and very nice to have as muted background noise sitting on the balcony with a glass of wine.

Upstairs is a large bedroom, with tons of drawer space, a full bathroom with bathtub, and a table with chair.

It was very clean, carpets, furnishings, paint, appliances, bathrooms were all in great condition.

They have a very nice pool, small but very sufficient. It looks over the canal and there are plenty of tables, chairs and loungers to relax on.

The location on the canal is phenomenal and it was only about 2 minutes to the dock where several dive/snorkel/boat rental operators are located. It is a quick drive to numerous restaurants, stores, shopping, etc.

Staff were great! Super friendly and welcoming. Parking is right outside your unit so no long trek with suitcases or groceries. Because of the size and layout of it you could comfortably have two couples sharing it (one upstairs and one downstairs) or great for a family without feeling cramped or crowded at all.

I will definitely be staying here again and recommending this to all my diver friends as a great diver's place to stay when diving in Key Largo!!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to review The Key West Inn. I am pleased to see that you enjoyed our easy listening music over a glass of wine; thats what the Keys are all about. I am also happy to see that our spacious suites fit your needs. We look forward to seeing you in the future.