“The only Mexican game in town”
Review of Senor Frijoles

Senor Frijoles
Ranked #35 of 145 Restaurants in Key Largo
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Special occasions, Large groups, Families with children, Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations, Takeout
Description: Since 1981 Senor Frijoles has been serving Fajitas and Margaritas on the Bay. Join us for Mexican food with a Florida Keys air. We’re famous for our lobster fajitas, fish tacos, bacon wrapped jalapenos, and fresh squeezed lime margaritas. Sit inside, or enjoy our large patio overlooking the marina and Florida bay. Senor Frijoles offers the most extensive assortment of tequilas in the Florida Keys, our Margaritas have won awards, and all of our seafood is the freshest possible. Open for lunch and dinner daily from 11 am to 10 pm.
Reviewed March 7, 2014

Food was adequate and all were satisfied but service was lacking with a long wait on beverage refills. With so many restaurant choices in the area I'd have to think long about a return.

Reviewed February 26, 2014

I thought encrusted meant that it would be a little crusty? The reviews I read about it were great. Mine was either sitting too long or never crusty. Kind of like soft breading. Just saying, I'd called it breaded, not encrusted... It was okay, just not great, to me... The view was just okay, too... mostly of a canal.

Reviewed February 23, 2014 via mobile

Stopped here for lunch with my husband as a midway point between the Ft. Lauderdale airport and our Key West hotel. The location, a patio right on the water, was a cure for winter-weary souls such as we were. The food, though, was just ok. We shared guacamole (partially made at tableside) and a chicken and goat cheese quesadilla. While there was nothing to really complain about, the food was nothing to rave about either. The guacamole, though super fresh, was bland, which was a big disappointment.

This was a nice little pitstop, but we would probably try somewhere else if we were every to drive through again.

Reviewed February 10, 2014

Very friendly service, good food and a WONDERFUL BAY VIEW. The key lime pie was fantastic.

Bathrooms are outside, could be cleaner and not very private.

Reviewed February 1, 2014

We stopped here for lunch while passing through Key Largo. Now it's on my 'never again' list. The service was friendly but not attentive - ice teas were not refilled, table-side guacamole was simply left on the table after the waitress offered to mix it for us.
Speaking of guacamole, when I order 'tableside' guac, I expect to see actual avocados brought to the table. There was no onion, garlic or lime. There was, however, canned tomatoes brought to mix with the bowl of already-scooped avocado. What?? Canned tomatoes?
But canned tomatoes seemed to be a specialty. The sweet salsa was made with canned tomatoes. The normal salsa was made with canned tomatoes.
The salsas were not enhanced by the chips sprinkled with salt and (shudder) sugar.
I ordered the grilled corn. The corn had been cooked and then introduced, briefly, to a grill. The cheese on top didn't do anything for me either.
The bright spot was the cumin crusted fish taco. I had visions of cumin seed laid down in a thick layer to leave a toasty cumin flavor when the fish was grilled. Nope, no cumin seed in sight. Instead, ground cumin from a can (is there another theme at play here?) lightly dusted the fish before being grilled. It wasn't bad, but it could have been outstanding. The food did not justify the prices - $50 for 1 entree, 2 appetizers and 2 iced teas. Really?
The cook obviously has a sweet tooth and loves all things canned.
Do not encourage him/her by participating.