“Best Key Lime pie in the universe”

Ballyhoo's Historic Seafood Grille
Ranked #23 of 147 Restaurants in Key Largo
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed July 7, 2013

After snorkeling at Pennekamp Park, we decided to go for Key Lime pie at Ballyhoo's. We've eaten there a couple of times before, and it was always very good, but had never tried the pie.

Wow.

The pieces are large and tasty. They are placed upon a light strawberry glazing, which complements the tartness of the limes perfectly.

Best. Key Lime pie. Ever.

Date of visit: July 2013
KdeCastro, General Manager at Ballyhoo's Historic Seafood Grille, responded to this reviewResponded July 8, 2013

Thank you for your review. we are thrilled that you enjoyed your Homemade Key Lime Pie! Next time you are in town, try on of our other Homemade desserts. :-)

Write a ReviewReviews (1,143)

Reviewed July 6, 2013

We did dinner there on 7/3 and we were there for almost two hours. The serveres were nice, but not very attentive. My daygher ordered a pound of snow crab legs and I believe they are on the menu at $25.00.

I guess they felt bad for the lack of service and also brought us a pound of King crab legs as well and it was a nice gesture-but when I looked at the bill, the charged us for the more expensive King crab legs at $36.00.

It was a pretty good meal, but not worth the 2/1/2 hours it took. I believe they raised their prices from last year.

Date of visit: July 2013

Thank you for the review. I remember your party. You were more than patient with the mix up. . Charging you for the King Crab was definitely an oversight. I should have caught that, and sincerely apologize. Please contact the restaurant and ask for me.

Reviewed July 5, 2013

Ask for their separate vegan/vegetarian menu, it is pretty extensive. For the appetizer, we had a grilled avocado with a splash of salt. I ordered a grilled Vegan cheese sandwich with black bean soup. The cheese was made in-house with coconut oil and tasted more like coconut paste than cheesy. My boyfriend ordered a sweet potato burger with hot pepper relish and a side of mushrooms. The sweet potato burger was spiced well and the best thing on the menu. The vegetarian key lime pie was topped with meringue and was rich and slightly tangy. Will definitely go back there.

Date of visit: July 2013
KdeCastro, General Manager at Ballyhoo's Historic Seafood Grille, responded to this reviewResponded July 6, 2013

Thank you for your review. :-) The sweet potato burger is fantastic. So is the Black Bean Burger. Next time you are in town, give that one a try too! Have a great weekend.

Reviewed June 29, 2013

Wow...we have been going to this Ballayhoos for about 15 years each time we go to the Keys and it has always been a highlight for our trips. Service was great the staff was very friendly and served us well. The food was hot and overall good for what they now offer. What was a shocker and has made us decide not to eat there anymore was the drastic change in the menu....no fried shrimp, no salmon, no baked potatoes, no grouper, no scallops.....this is a seafood restaurant right? All they had was crab legs, chicken, steaks and I think 2 types of fish and oyster/shrimp po boys. The menu has changed for the worst. If you plan to go there please call them for the menu as what they have listed on their website is the OLD good menu...not the sad excuse for a menu they serve now.

Date of visit: June 2013
KdeCastro, General Manager at Ballyhoo's Historic Seafood Grille, responded to this reviewResponded July 1, 2013

Thank you so much for your review. While I am glad that you found the service great and friendly, and the food good, I am sorry that you were disappointed in our newest menu.We strive to bring our guests the freshest and the best, in food quality and service.
I have looked everywhere that I could think of to find the Old menu still posted. We changed our menu in October 2012, and updated our restaurants' site (www.ballyhoosrestaurant.com). If you could tell me where the old menu is still posted, I will do everything that I can to get it removed, so that this doesn't happen again. Again, I apologize for the disappointment. Karen

Reviewed June 27, 2013

Dined out here on Jun 25, 2013. Nice service, food was very good local fresh fish. We split a yellowtail snapper and both were very pleased and full. The key lime pie is some of the best we have had.

Date of visit: June 2013
1  Thank John H
KdeCastro, General Manager at Ballyhoo's Historic Seafood Grille, responded to this reviewResponded July 3, 2013

Thank you for your Review:-) I am glad that you enjoyed your visit. We love the feedback on our Yellowtail Hemingway. It is QUICKLY becoming a House Favorite! Please stop and see us again!