“Great! Great!! Great!!!!”

Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed November 29, 2012

From the first moment we entered the restaurant, we knew we were in a special restaurant. I had my service dog with me and was first denied entrance, with the comment "you can't bring in a pet, sorry". I told the young man, he's not a pet, he's a service dog, you can tell by his vest". I looked down and realized I had taken off his vest and forgotten to put it back on! I apologized and said we'd be back in 10 minutes. Then the Manager of the Day, Kayla, intervened and allowed us entry, stating "I can tell that's a service dog". We liked our first experince so much, we went back a second night. This restaurant is the total package in dining. We sampled many items on the menu, enjoying charbroiled oysters, fried pink tomatoes, conch meuniere, all you can eat stone crabs, cast iron mahi and yellowtail snapper. The wine list was affordable and eclectic. The service was impeccable, both from Maria and Kayla. They were friendly, warm, professional and knowledgable about the menu. I thought I'd like some boiled peanuts to go, but was unsure if I'd like them. I was immediately offered a sample. I'm not trying to sound overly effusive, but that's exactly what Ballyhoo's deserves. Top notch dining experience. Great menu, wonderfully prepared food and excellent wait staff. Our future trips to Key Largo will always have a stop at Ballyhoo's!

3  Thank Janey L

Reviewed November 20, 2012

We ordered one of everything on the menu, the snapper, all you can eat crab, even the fresh vegtetables were seasoned perferctly. I am a kw conch but live away from home now and I was raised on seafood. It was excellent. I will stop every time on my way down to Key West. Alida was our waittress, very nice. Thank you.

Reviewed November 9, 2012

We had whole snapper, all you can eat stone claws and snow crab. One of our party had a flank steak, although tender there was not much flavor. Dave our fantastic waiter took it back immediately. The rest of our meals were great. I am really surprised that this restaurant is not higher ranked on trip advisor. I assume the cost may be the reason. If you like great fish, then this is a great place to eat. I had stone claws at two other restaurants and these were the very best. Try the white sangria. Really good.

2  Thank Dan W
Reviewed November 9, 2012

My husband and I went to Ballyhoo's for the AYCE stone crabs. It's a bit pricey at $56 a person, but if you have a big appetite, you can get your money's worth. If you get the stone crab, you can interchange with the snow crab legs, which were very good, or, if it happens to be a Friday night, you can also interchange with the fish fry. The stone crabs are served cold, but they will make them hot if you ask. Our server was very helpful and he did let us know that if you want them hot, they will be cooked twice, since they are already cooked and kept cold. My husband got them hot, and I got the cold ones. Both were very good. Our sides were so-so, but who cares when you're eating crab. One thing I thought was odd, they have a bar, but serve only wine and beer, no liquor of any kind. I tried a toasted coconut porter and it was surprisingly good. We arrived around 5 PM and didn't have to wait to be seated, but the place filled up quickly. I would definitely recommend Ballyhoo's for the crab special. We enjoyed it very much.

1  Thank pharmer88
Reviewed October 30, 2012 via mobile

My husband took the kids and I to dinner here last week. The food was outstanding! Service was absolutely amazing. Only things we didn't like is how small and crowded the restaurant was. My husband and I still crack jokes about the waiters attire. They had shirts tucked in? Well let me tell you something not many people can pull off a shirt tucked in and no one that worked there did. They looked absolutely ridiculous just as much as the pots on the lights. Tires don't flatter people is my opinion, but I definitely have sent my co workers to get a helping of crab and crack a joke or two of the waiters. Haha