“Secluded and Not Apologetic” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Ocean Reef Club

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Key Largo
Ocean Reef Club
You added Ocean Reef Club to your Saves list
Ranked #10 of 19 Hotels in Key Largo
West Bloomfield, Michigan
“Secluded and Not Apologetic”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

We stayed here as part of an annual corporate rewards trip. I'm thankful my company paid as I wouldn't have stayed here and paid their rates. The property is nice and very secure. The ocean views are nice and it's easy to find your way around the property. I can't remember the distance, but it's about 10 miles to the main road in the Keys.

The food was good and the rooms were very nice. However, during our trip there was a ton of rain in the Keys. Since most activities are geared towards the water, our itineraries were cancelled. The heavy rains also meant the bathroom ceiling in our ocean view room took on water and we had to be moved to another room. Since it's short notice, it's understandable if they couldn't keep us in the same building. We ended up with a partial view of the lagoon and a partial parking lot view. They weren't at all apologetic, considering how much time they spent trying to repair the first bathroom while we were there. The second room was not as nice and at 6AM the fire alarm was beeping due to a low battery. I called the front desk and they said nobody was available until 7AM. I pushed a little more and they said they'd send somebody up right away. After 30 minutes still nobody was there. I called back and they said they sent somebody, but the "Do Not Disturb" sign was on, so they left. Next time I wake up in the morning due to a room problem, I'll make sure I've taken the sign off. The person came back about 15 minutes later, and again, could have just said "sorry for the inconvenience" and replaced the battery. I would have taken the smoke detector down myself, but not sure if they're wired a certain way to send a signal to the fire department.

I was also charged $45 for mini bar usage, which was odd as I only had a bag of M&Ms. I called back when I noticed the charge and they looked into it, as those would be some really expensive chocolate covered peanuts. They reversed the charges, and again, did not apologize for their actions. A little "I'm sorry" can go a long way.

The corporate event was about 4 days so each morning we had a breakfast buffet, a banquet one evening, and an outdoor dinner another. The wait staff was very good and I can't complain about the food or the extra stiff drinks the bartenders poured.

I would not stay here again simply because once you're on the property you're limited to what they offer, versus staying closer to the main road and having some flexibility and not having to drive too far.

Room Tip: Pay extra for the ocean view.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
6 Thank TravelingBrianandKim

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

My family checked into the ultra high end resort and we were glad we did. Whether you have kids or not, young or old, you will love this place. There is always something for the family to do. The beach is great and the kids played all day with activities. The food is awesome at all the restaurants. Golf was great. The rooms are all high end and the rentals are even better. Bring your wallet but it is well worth the price. There is nothing else in the Keys that will give you a felling or amenities like Ocean Reef. We go every year.

Room Tip: Bring a lot of Money
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
6 Thank Michael C
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012 via mobile

The Ocean Reef Club is simply put a wonderful place to visit. It really is a self contained city with everything you need. Some prices can get a little high because its a little off the beaten path but that's ok. The location is tropical - the golf great. The beach and sun amazing. Food that is fulfilling. Just a great place to bring a family or loved on.

• Stayed December 2012
1 Thank Jseber
CINCINNATI
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2012

I was part of a large corporate group of 75 people. We were assurred free WiFi in our rooms. This was part of the contract we paid for. My room had no WiFi reception at all. I called the front desk. Ocean Reef sent in a repair man with a cheap Radio Shack wireless router unit. OK. But,,they wanted me to put a $500 deposit on my Am Ex Card! I told them no way. This should be their responsibility, not mine. I guess I would have to buy the $50 router unit for $500 if it got broken or lost. I called the front desk and asked to me moved, but was told it would not happen. These people have balls the size of church bells. I advised our CEO NOT to come back here next year. Our group only spent about $60,000 at this resort. No problem for Ocean Reef if they lose that income next year. At least they get to keep their cheap Radio Shack WiFi router! Also, the rooms are circa 1990 and do need up grading. Don't waste your money here. Go to a resort with a real beach. Why spend your money here to stand on rocks at the water's edge.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
14 Thank THOMAS H
Phoenix
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

This is a well-managed property. I was there for the Vintage Weekend, and the events were managed very well. You have to charge most things to your "Ocean Reef Club Card", which is not a huge problem unless you are caught without it. There are a lot of benefits for member, so if you are not you will notice "Members Only" lines and parking spaces.

This is a community for people with wealth, they will be sure to meet your private jet on the runway. There is not really anything special here.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank jujubean101
Winston Salem, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

What a beautiful and well-run resort. My daughter was sick while we were there so we even got the chance to visit the medical center, which is pristine and also well-run. My children delighted in the gorgeous pool and had a blast kayaking in the little lagoon next to the pool. I hope we are lucky enough to return soon!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank wishiweredownunder
New Jersey
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

Just came back from a wedding at Ocean Reef. Been there many times for business conferences. Wedding confirmed my negitive views and feel compelled to write about it.

The Good: Physical property is well maitained and can be quite beautiful with right landscaping and weather. Rooms well appointed. Service is great. Food in main dining room is excellent, and food in other on site spots like the Raw Bar is also very good. Gated location in out of the way Key Largo keeps only the invited quests and members in the place - - - no riff raff.

The Bad: No beach in Florida. Pool areas weak for Florida. Very few activities daily at resort, and most are out-sourced. No night activity at all. Location in Key Largo may be a benefit to the "want to get away" Miami crowd, but is a real hassle to destination travelers. This is close to nothing and requires back roads through biker bars and no-teeth fishermen to get to. That said, the real negitive issues with Ocean Reef comes down to two undeniable facts: (1) This is an exclusive club, so there are memebers and "guests." if you are not a memeber, you are a second class citizen. For example, there are different facilities, like exercise facilities, for members and guests! The Spa staff looks at you funny if you're not a member. The dining room appears to have separate areas for members and guests. This is unacceptable for a place that charges top tier rates for everything. Being a member at this place is a status symbol for South Florida types, so they and their staff look down upon all non-members. (2) Don't be fooled - - - this is a yacht club, not a destination resort in the Florida Keys. It's all about the boats and everything is designed to accomodate the boat crowd while paying lip service to everyone else. And, among the boat crowd, this is the classic "mine is bigger than yours" place in all of Florida if not the whole USA. Bottom line is that is you don't have a huge yacht in a slip you paid a million bucks to acquire, you may feel out of place. Why go here when there are so many true destination resorts in South Florida and the Keys?

So, all in all, nice place to visit but I won't be back (until I hit the lottery and buy a $25MM boat).

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends