“I did not want to leave!!”
Review of Coconut Palm Inn

Coconut Palm Inn
Ranked #2 of 20 Hotels in Key Largo
Reviewed January 20, 2013

From the time I got to Coconut Palm Inn "the sun was shining!" I was greeted by the smiling office staff and treated like a "Diamond". I have stayed at the finest hotel's across the country and never felt more at home than i did at CPI. All my request's were taken care of. From the comfortable room to my pool side laziness,"the sun was shining!" I even caught a 6 pound grouper from the dock. :-) Catch and release of course. Even when we had a day of cloudy/rainy weather, "the sun was shining!" We BBQ'd on their grill every night and even sang song's around the camp fire! I could tell you about the rest of my vacation, but that is for me.
"I DID NOT WANT TO LEAVE!!"

Room Tip: "Corner suites are large and sunny"
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
Write a ReviewReviews (1,374)

Reviewed January 4, 2013

I guess it depends a great deal with what expectations you come here...and also on your neighbors!

We stayed here for four nights during Christmas time and had a mixed experience.

First of all, the staff is very helpful and friendly - they provide service very quickly (the fan was broken in our room and constantly running and they fixed that promptly) and offer their help. That is one of the best things in this place.

Also, their little beach is really nicely done. It provides a lot of places to sit and relax. I thought it was great that you could use their kayaks complimentary and paddle around the little bay.

Please know that you can still hear the US1 there, although the hotel is away from the road. Also, the pool pump ( I think that’s what that was) is very loud. Almost like an outside A/C unit that runs constantly. So sitting at the pool might be not that relaxing for some.

Also, this hotel only has 2.5 stars, you might want to consider that although it has so many outstanding reviews...this is NOT a luxury hotel, the prices just are as high as if it were...

The first room we had was a special deal for $ 177 a night. After one night only, we went to the front desk to ask for a different room.

The room was tiny, you could barely move around, the bathroom provided no space to put your stuff. The room smelled musty, probably due to the old carpet. That was not the biggest issue though:

There were no mosquito nets on the windows or door and since there were a lot of sandflies, no way to open up the window to let some fresh air in. However, those little beasts had come into the room over time (in an area like that you really need screens against bugs!) and we woke up in the middle of the night because we had bites everywhere. My husband looked like he had chickpocks and they itched badly! I could find quite a few sandflies within the room the next morning, so no way we would have stayed another night in there.

I wanted to use the A/C to get some fresh air in but spit out a huge pile of dust when I turned it on. I saw something fall on the floor and thought, it was a bug coming out of the A/C...no, it looked like a mushroom made out of dust...seriously! So, no way I would turn that thing on again.

The beds almost fell apart! When I lifted the box spring-cover a huge caterpillar fell out. It was dead and fell into pieces, so it had probably been sitting there for ages... so much about the cleanliness in that room.

Overall, the room was dusty! It needs a serious cleaning!!

The next morning, we woke up at 7 am since the family next door was so noisy – the walls are just very thin.

That was "Room 2" btw- so you want to make sure, you don't get that. I think that the beds and cleanliness should be the same in every room. It's not right to have crappy beds and a dirty space just because you booked the least expensive room...!

So we went to the reception and asked for a different room. They gave us their honeymoon suite for a special price ($300 bucks a night, instead of $369!). I appreciated that and the room was really much nicer than the first one. The suite is huge and you can sit on the couch looking over the bay. The bed was comfy, the towels were new....the best was the bathroom though which was completely updated and had a Jacuzzi tub.

However, also this room is not very sound-proof! Again, there was a family next door that we could hear all the time. The last two nights, a big group moved in to the rooms underneath us and the SLAMMED the doors every 10 minutes at night. It was so annoying. Since it was after hours though, there was nobody from the management we could have addressed that to and we didn't want to get dressed again and knock on their door.

The room is also just separated through one single door from the next apartment. So you can actually open it from the honeymoon suite and walk into the next apartment...! Not sure if I would like that if I was the people next door.

Breakfast is just no good. The first two days there were only pre-packed muffins *ugh*. The next two days there was at least some banana bread and instant oatmeal...seemed like they put out whatever they have without any regularity behind it. They provide coffee, hot water and juice daily.

Also, please be aware that the office closes at 6 pm, sometimes earlier. There is no 24/7 concierge. So the hotel is not secured/guarded at night at all. There was no after-hour-number provided, so in case you had an emergency with the room (flooding, drunken neighbors,etc.), you would have to call the local police station since staff is just not available after they leave for the day.

If you want to stay here, make sure you don’t book room 2 and you go in the off-season. It will be less expensive and less noisy.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
7  Thank SAB81Washington_Dc
Reviewed December 14, 2012

The Coconut Palm Inn is, as advertised on their website, a quiet get away location. With only 18 rooms it did not feel crowded and the staff was exceptionally friendly and helpful. A nice pool and beach area added to the ambience. The continental breakfast was juice and rolls and would be benefitted from some fresh fruit. We'd stay there again!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Jeannine D
Reviewed December 14, 2012

Perfect for a wedding!!! The wedding party and immediate family took over the whole resort for a long weekend. There was something for everyone, young and old. Rooms are clean, comfortable and have updated appliances. There is a nice variety of rooms to accommodate different size families. The public areas - pool, beach, pier, water toys provided much enjoyment for all and are beautifully maintained. All the staff are friendly and very accommodating. We heard "Please let us know if there is anything you need" many times, and they mean it!

If you enjoy beautiful sunsets, and a fantastic beach setting, I highly recommend this spot for a true Florida Keys experience.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank pdbell82
Reviewed December 13, 2012

Just returned from a 2 night stay here. On arrival we had an unexpected room upgrade to a lovely one bedroom suite.( Thanks so much for that!) We were at the end of our vacation and all we could think of was............... too bad we had not arranged for more time here!
Grounds were very well kept with someone working at all times keeping things clean and tidy. Free kayaks ( which we used twice ) was a nice bonus too. Beds were very, very comfy with higher end linens.
Front desk was staffed with very friendly people who gave us tips on dinner spots.
My only suggestion and concern for anyone booking this property would be to check with the hotel if there was a wedding booked during your stay. The property is so pretty that it is very popular for weddings and it could get a bit noisy if you were looking for a quiet stay. We were there on a Sun and Mon nite and we almost had the place to ourselves on the Monday which was wonderful.
If looking for a nice place to stay near Key Largo then definately check out this place.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 13, 2012

We stayed in room 12. As well as room 11, the appartement is too noisy.
You can hear every footstep from the room above you.
Other than that, fantastic place!
The pool is very nice, the rooms clean, and spacious, the kitchen has everything. There is cleaning every day. Its a beautiful location right on the beach (be aware you cant swim here as in many places on the keys)

The breakfast is a disaster though. Prepackaged muffins, coffee and tea. Bananabread which has so much sugar every european will fall from his chair.
Nothing really fresh and yummy.

The staff is very friendly and nice but wasnt of much help finding good spots. It seemed they didnt know the place very well.

We payed $ 169 plus tax on room 12. It seemd we got a really good deal, but I think it isnt worth much more.

Room Tip: dont pick room 12 and 11
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed December 9, 2012

Lovely, quiet location with rooms having terrace/porch overlooking the beach. Rooms compact mainly due to having two double beds in. However beds and furnishings are perfect and the location very quiet. Porch is a good size and has ant-mosquito netting. The beach gives access to a fishing pier and a lagoon and we would have liked to use the hotel kayaks to look around this but weather was a little wild during our stay. Breakfast however was basic with mainly pre-packed muffins and flapjacks but having said that the rooms and location made it the nicest place we stayed at whilst touring the keys. Wished we'd stayed longer.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple