“Very Nice Venue”
Review of Gus' Grille

Gus' Grille
Ranked #40 of 143 Restaurants in Key Largo
Cuisines: American, Caribbean, Seafood
Good for: Scenic view, Local cuisine, Romantic, Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed February 4, 2013

Beautiful setting, especially in the evening.
Breakfast is very good, the service exemplary, the food excellent.
Dinner is a different matter. It seems we are interrupting the staff from doing the things they want to do......and serving is not on their list of things to do. Long waits between visits.
The menu is limited but they are big portions. The food was good, not great but good.
Once was enough for us.

1  Thank Pete_Coach

Reviewed January 19, 2013

We may not have been dressed up for an evening of fine dining, but we're in the Keys and it was 60 degrees and windy. They sat us in the corner, away from the dining room. No one ever stopped to check on us, literally just brought our food and one drink. We spent $80 on an appetizer, two dinners, and one drink...food was good, not great and service was incredibly horrible. I was a waitress at one time, so I know what to expect. This was a disappointing experience at a high end restaurant that claims to be excellent. Nothing excellent about our experience at Gus's.

1  Thank CBIe
Reviewed January 7, 2013

Great buffet breakfast for $17 each. Overpriced and mediocre dinner with fair service. Better to eat dinner out.

Reviewed January 5, 2013

The service was pretty excellent; there were very nice servers willing to help. The food, however, was less than average. The cheese bread tasted like cardboard. I ordered a medium steak for 35 dollars and recieved an undercooked piece of fat. The steak itself was very tough and difficult to swallow. For the price, I expected excellent cuisine matched only by five star restaurants, however, I would have rather gone to a fast food restaurant than to have had eaten at Gus' Grille.

2  Thank Abake96
Reviewed January 1, 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Key Largo Marriott and ate dinner at Gus' Grille on New Year's Eve, and we had breakfast there each morning. Fortunately, we had a better experience than the other reviewer who ate there New Year's Eve -- our food was good (but not great), and the service was excellent. Our waiter and other staff members stopped by several times to ask how everything was, it was almost excessive.

I started with the lobster bisque, and had the mahi and shrimp with plantain curry sauce. The bisque was tasty, but didn't have any pieces of lobster. The plantain curry sauce was good but not flavorful enough, and the mahi was slightly overcooked. My wife started with the conch chowder, and she had the grouper with crab cake and tarragon-sherry cream sauce. She liked the conch chowder, but thought the tarragon-sherry cream sauce could have been more interesting. We also had small salads (extra charge) and bread (included), and were too full for dessert.

Like the other New Year's Eve reviewer, we were seated in the room next to the kitchen, and it was noisier than the other room, but it didn't bother us.

Our breakfasts at Gus' Grille were pretty good. We both had the Eggs Benedict once and liked them, I had the "Great Start" buffet twice (any cold items plus oatmeal), and my wife had the yogurt and granola parfait one day and the ultimate breakfast sandwich the other day, all good.

Gus' was very different from the other Key Largo restaurants we tried, so it's hard to compare with our other dinners. Gus' is good, but not as good as other restaurants in the same price range, in general. If I stay at the Marriott again, I would definitely have breakfast at Gus', and would consider dinner there again, but I would try other places first.

1  Thank DeeEss