“Nice location, very average accommodations” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Rock Reef Resort

Rock Reef Resort
Ranked #2 of 17 Key Largo B&B and Inns
Colorado
“Nice location, very average accommodations”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2012

My husband and I stayed in of one the suites - ground floor, 1 bedroom, kitchen, living room. It was OK but very outdated. My biggest complaint were the little black worms that kept appearing on the floor all over the place - kitchen, bedroom, bathroom. I was afraid to walk around without looking first and always had shoes on. I made my husband pick them up each time and he was getting a bit annoyed. The resort is on the water, which is nice, but there is no beach to walk on. Service was good, the staff at the desk were quite pleasant and helpful. Personally, I would not chose to stay there again.

Room Tip: I would suggest a room that is not on the ground floor due to the little black worms that appear on...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank QuitYourJobandTravel
lindamanagement, Owner at Rock Reef Resort, responded to this review, November 18, 2012
Thank you for staying at Rock Reef and for writing a review. We apologize for the worms. They are a Keys wide problem, (annoying but harmless and live in the mulch). If you had told us, the problem would have been taken care of in a matter of minutes. (A failed gasket on the door threshold). Life in the sub tropics has its challenges as we never have a frost or freeze. Critters thrive year round.

At Rock Reef you will find nearly four acres of green grass and landscaped gardens including about a half-acre of undisturbed hardwood hammock. The hardwood hammock is a real luxury in this age of concrete and macadam covering nearly every square foot of many similar operations. We are often likened to a Botanical Garden.

The suite you stayed in has a relatively new bath and kitchen (remodeled about seven years ago) tiled floors with carpet in the bedroom and nice quiet central air conditioning. New appliances and 32” flat screen TV.

I believe your “outdated” concern was the knotty Pine paneling on the walls. We continually ask guest s if it should be changed to sheet rock and the response is overwhelming. Over ninety nine per cent say to leave it as is – It’s beautiful and a great part of old Key Largo and the Keys.

There are few long beaches for walking in the keys as it is a barrier island. Most beaches are man-made.

There is an endless supply of information concerning vacation destinations on the Net. We urge all travelers to do their homework before making reservations so there are no surprises upon arrival.

Thanks again for staying at Rock Reef Resort.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (133)
south west england
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2012

I’ve been reading some of the negative reviews of ‘Rock Reef Resort’ on Tripadvisor and I’m flabbergasted: can these guys have been visiting the same place? It’s a small, independently-run establishment in Key Largo consisting of a modestly-sized, two-storey (ie. ground and first floor) main accommodation block and number of little beach-side cabins, all set in thoroughly nicely landscaped and very well-maintained grounds, with its own (small) private sandy beach and ocean access to the Keys - the beauty of the view from which alone I would’ve said constitutes complete and absolute seaside idyll. When I think where I want to go on holiday next the answer’s always ‘Florida’ and what I have in head when I think about what's so good about going there is a picture of this place - I thought it was utterly charming throughout.

We stayed in a ground-floor, self-catering room in the main block. It had a fully-equipped (ie. with cutlery, proper kitchen knives etc. and drinking ware and plates) kitchenette, large fridge and freezer and a nice, tiled floor, which is eminently suitable in the situation given that this is guest accommodation close to its own sandy beach. The only very slight but completely liveable-with downsides I noticed in our room were firstly the size of the bathroom – which was perfectly fine but it is quite compact. I should also perhaps mention here that I have stayed at similar independent resorts in the Keys before, where I have found it bordering on difficult to take a proper shower, as sometimes, for ‘ecological reasons’ the water pressure isn’t brilliant. Quite to the contrary, at Rock Reef Resort , the water pressure in the shower etc. were all excellent throughout our stay, so that more than compensated for any lack of space. The only other slight downside I noted was that the room had been ‘freshened’ with an ‘Ambi-pur’ type plug-in air-freshener which it didn’t really need because it was clean and nicely-maintained in any case; I complain about this minor point only because after having lived in a shared house with an Ambi-pur addict, I really, really, hate this type of product (happily the smell wears off soon after you disconnect it.) The main accommodation block has one side that faces the garden / car-park area bordering the main road (but is mostly screened from it by big trees), while the other side looks out on the gardens that border the sea. Given the way the accommodation block’s arranged There are also a couple of rooms that look out ‘sideways’ onto darkish, narrow corridors; I have to say I’d have been very disappointed if I’d been allocated one of those rooms, but the management do seem quite amenable to moving guests to alternate accommodation within the resort once this becomes available - and perhaps the poor outlook of those corridor-rooms is reflected in the price. I can’t comment on this, because I had a lovely ground-floor room looking out on the seaside garden. I’m a terrible skinflint and this place was expensive – we turned up on spec during high tourist season and hadn’t pre-booked – but I was still happy to pay for a second night.

As for amenities, the resort has a couple of one-man canoes and a paddle-boat – maybe not in its first flush of youth, but still in perfect working order when we visited - that guests can take out (and I should perhaps mention that they warn you repeatedly, by word of mouth and by means of signs affixed to the various water-craft, not to paddle too far out in them). When we stayed , they ‘made’ (ie. required) you wear life-jackets too, which is also eminently sensible in health and safety terms if a bit of a pain in practice. There are immaculately-maintained hammocks strung over the lawns between the beautifully-kept trees, and a very nice and cleanly-kept communal barbeque area nearby. There’s a hot-tub, which we didn’t have time to try, but it looked to be in excellent condition, and down by the sea-front a good number – a very good number indeed - of spotless, new-looking out-door chairs and sun-loungers – basically, in every location you could conveniently think of situating a deck chair or a sun-lounger, without seeming to be cluttering up the place. What there isn’t is a swimming pool – and I can’t quite understand why somebody holidaying at a small, independent resort in the Florida Keys would want to demand a concrete pool to swim in, when they have, a literal stone’s throw away, all the wonder and beauty, warm, shallow water and luxuriant sea-grass beds to swim over in THE SEA, RIGHT NEXT TO them.

I can’t understand the mindset of a person who would complain about this small, charming, independently-run resort. So it’s not all gleaming infinity pools and fluffy white guest-robes; you’re not in bloody Dubai and it’s not that type of place. I’m a pretty pernickety hotel guest and am almost never satisfied with holiday accommodation - but I thought this place was marvellous.

Room Tip: Ask for a beach-facing room - or at least one facing the car-park - which has trees and a bit of gar...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
Healdsburg, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2012

A friend and I chose Rock Reef actually because of the reviews on trip advisor. I can only say it was everything we hoped for and more! The friendly squirrels and iguanas who roam freely. The wonderful staff who did everything they could to make us happy. The excellent dining advice. The peaceful grounds and the beach. The great snorkeling all around us! We loved coming back to our peaceful room and relaxing each evening. And we loved just hanging out on the beach. We are already making plans to come back! We are so happy we found Rock Reef. A week after returning home I can't get the Keys and Rock Reef out of my head.

Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Seaford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2012

Stayed here for two weeks with my Son for a Fishing Holiday. I could not have found a more pleasant,friendly or happier Family run resort. The owner and the owners Family were helpful in sorting any request or problem encountered during our stay, always available and always prepared to put their guests first. I could not recommend anywhere better to spend a wonderful,peaceful and memory filled Holiday where the atmosphere was so relaxed. Thank you,Maurice Boyd.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Maurice B
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 28, 2012

Nice little resort, clean, quiet, secluded beach, beautiful views of the bay. We loved the beach, great for beginner snorklers. Took the paddle boat out, it was great. Our room was small, but comfy, the hot tub was also fun and relaxing. The restaurant acroos the street is well worthy, I had the best fried yellow tail.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Alabama
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2012

We stayed in cottage # 9 for 2 nights this past week. Found the room to be everything we wanted and needed. Clean rooms cold air in the bedroom. Nice and cozy room down on the water. Cant beat the location. Loads of hungry squirrels that will follow you around until you feed them as well as the Iguana's that are HUGE running around the property, Hammocks are great and are placed through out the property as well as numerous grills to cook out and enjoy the sunsets. All and all a great place and we will DEFF be back in a few short months!!!!

Mike

Room Tip: Get one of the cottages down by the water. You wont regret it at all!!!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Russia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2012

Was 10th wedding anniversary. We drive from Miami after 40 hours in travel from Asia to stay at famous Key Largo. In past anniversary, we have traveled to all Pacific Islands and South East Asia. We stay very good hotels in Dubai, Phuket, Fiji, Bali, Bora-Bora. This what we think of the Red Reef Resort. The Hilton Key Largo lose reservation that we paid on this site for a week, sold room to another. The impolite girl at desk of Hilton say go to the Marriott, HILTON GIRL --She make comment about us to next worker. Very POOR worker!! The Marriott has loud party and person vomiting in lobby. My wife say no. We required accommodations quick. No way, I not drive to Miami. The police officer who choose not wrote me speeding fine recommended Red Reef resort to wife. She not happy and the police officer looked sad on me. He wrote directions to Red Reef resort. He say "perfect for anniversary in Key largo". We drove. We found a quiet resort that was REALLY perfect. The staff, was very good people, always kind to help. We not speak good English and are very responsive to understand. We stayed a extra week, changed plane reservation not go to California - because so nice at Rock Reef Resort. If ever come to USA again, We not see other place in USA. We go here. Fish, Snorkel, Sun, Quiet, Peace, good walks, we fall in love again. I see wife first time again and we think hope pregnant. Wife and I read reviews here now after home, We found by accident - Diamond. Thank you Rock Reef Resort for best anniversary and wife, thanks Police officer for no fine paper and directions. And we not write review at Hilton. Poor Business, like Hilton daughter. BUT- Rock Reef BEST !!!!!! Thank YOU Rock Reef.

Room Tip: Tell people what want. Very professional. .
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple