“Ok for the price”

Ranked #2 of 17 Key Largo B&B and Inns
Buffalo, New York
“Ok for the price”
Reviewed February 24, 2012

My husband and I stayed a week here and althought the rooms are very clean if you stay in the rooms in the front they are noisy from road traffic. Also, we reserved a room with 2 double beds and one was very very soft and the other hard. Not a good nights sleep. Location is excellant and the price is great for staying in the Keys. Owners friendly and helpful, water view is nice and its quiet there. Probably worth the extra money to stay in one of the cottages.

Room Tip: Cottages are quieter, rooms in front have road noises.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (141)
Minnesota
Reviewed February 16, 2012

Rock Reef is very laid back. Beautiful, natural grounds. Nice beach with plenty of chairs. We stayed in beachfront cottage #9. Clean and comfortable. I would stay there again.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank cashierkristin
miami
Reviewed February 13, 2012

Very nice clean and cozy place, the room was big, had a full kitchen which I love, great atmosphere, The grounds and beach are well kept, peaceful and beautiful, Lots of places to sit and relax, and to enjoy the great view. The management is very helpful and friendly. Key Largo is my favorite place to get away since is close from home. I have been in a couple small family own hotels, this is my first time in this Hotel and has become my favorite, It was the perfect place to get away from my busy life. I am sure I will be back soon.

Room Tip: Get room # 10 right in fromt of the Baech
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank chama48
Atlanta, GA
Reviewed February 2, 2012

Hotel was clean, rooms were bigger than expected, staff was nice, beds were pretty comfy even if the pillows in our room were a little flat. The room had a mini-fridge, which was nice, and a table and chairs. The grounds were pretty, and best of all, the place is on the water. It has a nice little beach for relaxing, kayaking, or splashing around, lovely mangroves, and a dock/sundeck for enjoying the sun/sunset.

Overall very pleasant and relaxing. Our room faced the road and was therefore a little noisier than I would have liked, but there were more rooms in the back, and even some little private cabins. Will be back!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Katlanta
Tyrone, Georgia
Reviewed January 30, 2012

Went to Key Largo for the Seafood Festival and the Rock Reef was our home base. The hotel was very clean, the room was spacious and we loved the beach and dock there for watching the sun set. The rate was reasonable and the staff was helpful and nice. Beds were comfy. We'd defintely stay there again. The only downside of the place was that our room was on the side of the building near the road and the traffic was noisy. Next time we'll ask for a room on the water side.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the water side. Traffic noise can be bad.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank rawlsw
Johnson City NY
Reviewed January 27, 2012

This is our 6th trip to Key West all of these have been at this really great resort. Each year I check to see if somone has anything better and of course I am always looking for the best value--but each year Rock Reef is the one we keep coming back to. We enjoy the location and we love the little cottages down by the water. What a great place to sit and water the sunset. The staff is friendly, helpful and maeks every effort to provide you with a great vacation.

Room Tip: The room in the cottages down by the water are the best. Also we found that if you stay for 7 days o...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank 300adams
United Kingdom
Reviewed January 12, 2012

So anyway, I come to the Keys once a year for a 2 week vacation - I forget how many times I've been, maybe 4 or 5 years now. Every year I check the internet and Tripadvisor and look for any great reviews or basically somewhere where I can stay where I will get great service and a reasonable rate. I'm pretty much at the stage where I don't need to bother looking anymore as Rock Reef has been consistently excellent over the last 5 years of my Keys vacations. I can't say that about anywhere else I've ever been to.

I think Key Largo is quite underestimated. Most people drive through here on their way to Key West and end up missing out on staying at one of the best places in the Keys. This is an awesome, family-run establishment, where your relaxation and enjoyment is paramount to the owners. This is not like a Holiday Inn or big hotel chain, you're actually treated like a person, not just a "customer". I can't even begin to tell you how much I appreciate their efforts.

I've been going here so long, it feels like the staff are my extended family now. Linda's like my mom, she's always making sure I'm safe and well and knows where I am, Jamae is like my little sister, always telling me off for smoking and joking around, Max feels like my brother, he wants to go for a beer all the time. When I visited over Thanksgiving, Linda very kindly invited me and the other guests over to the house for a dinner and drinks. Again, you do not get this at a hotel chain. I was flattered to be asked and it was my first ever experience of deep-fried turkey - awesome!!!!

Anyway, if this is the first review of Rock Reef you've read, I'll give you the low-down. It's got great bonsai gardens for you to walk around (the hammocks are great!), there are bbq's if you want to cook, Ballyhoo's is over the road if you want crab claws, you have a dock for boats and fishing. I would suggest you stay for as long as you can - there's a boat hire opposite on oceanside, Rib Daddy's is a short drive away if you need some serious protein. Needless to say, Rock Reef is a great "base camp" for you to explore the Upper and Middle Keys by car or water or bike.

I'm quite well travelled and I've been to many places like Antigua and Mustique and stayed at large all-inclusive boutique hotels that claim to cater for all your requirements. They miss the point completely, because what most people want is to be treated like a person, this is why I keep going back to Rock Reef every year and will continue to do so for many more. I miss them all already.

Room Tip: Get a cabin by the beach
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends