“Budget motel”

Ranked #14 of 17 Key Largo B&B and Inns
Sarasota, Florida
“Budget motel”
Reviewed December 20, 2013

This is an old. budget motel. Not near beach. Clean. Old linens, towels sheets etc.
Small bathroom with an ultra water saver shower head...
Road noise and very noisy air conditioner. Nice owner. Good location at the
start of the keys.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Kissimmee, Florida
Reviewed December 8, 2013

My husband and I debated how far from Key West to say, since I am not fond of bridges nor do I like paying outrageous prices for a room. Ed and Ellen's on Big Pine Key was the perfect solution. They have 2 identical duplexes on the same street. We stayed in the one furthest away from the road and it was quiet and relaxing.

We arrived on Thanksgiving day to find the Big Pine Key duplex situated in the Key Deer Preserve. The outside structure was typical of a stilt home and the interior was spacious, clean and comfortable. The views from the front and back deck are amazing, it was wonderful sitting on the back deck watching the sunrise and then watching the sunset from the front deck. We even had visitors one morning, Key Deer in the front yard, that was cool.

This is a very functional 2 bedroom unit with a full kitchen, televisions in the living room and both bedrooms, ceiling fans and great water pressure (a big surprise). I was a bit concerned about that since the duplex is not in town. Everything was provided: dinnerware, cookware, full fridge, stove w/ oven, microwave, toaster and coffee pot. Plenty of linens and comfy beds made this a great stay. The unit has A/C but we didn't need it since there was a wonderful breeze, we just kept the windows open.

When we come to the keys again, we WILL be staying at Ed and Ellen's Lodging on Big Pine Key.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Tish A
Reviewed October 6, 2013

Ed and Ellen were both great, they make you feel like your at home! Ed gave us good advice on the area and gave us some coupons. He is quite the character. The hotel was like a home away from home. Very clean. No complaints. Plan on staying again for our next visit to key largo.

• Stayed October 2013
Kansas City, Missouri
Reviewed October 4, 2013

Room was quiet, had stove, microwave, sink and oven. Full size fridge, This was your basic room. Works well if you don't plan on spending much time in the room.The fridge was nice, Ed is character for sure. but a good guy. No pool, not close to beach, right off overseas hwy, look for the tall yellow sign. I would go back.

Room Tip: I would go for upstairs room. parking is limited.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
LaBelle, Florida
Reviewed July 26, 2013

I thought Ed was a character, funny if you understood he's just messing around. He was very helpful with questions about things like where to eat. I was diving in the area on a Saturday and Sunday in Key Largo. He let me check in early ("I'm going to be up anyway") so I could get my stuff in the room instead of leaving it in the truck while I was out on the boat diving. He also let me check out late the next day so that I could come off the dive boat and get a shower before my 3 hour drive home. Very relaxed and informal.

The room itself was clean and smelled fine. The air was cold and the shower was hot. Bed and microwave were clean. No bugs. The place was a little hard to find because it is hidden from the road by trees and shrubs, etc. There are no frills like a pool or view.

If the hotel stay is actually a part of your trip that matters, then go elswhere. However, if youre just looking for a cheap and clean place to stay in an expensive area then give them a look.

Bottom line is that I would not bring my family here if we came down to Key Largo for a weekend. I would, however, crash here myself on a weekend dive trip if I was trying to save some of my money for other things.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Canton, Ohio
Reviewed February 12, 2013 via mobile

Beds ok, wore out towels. No y-fi. The owner was quite a character with a sarcastic humor. We went on recommendations from another person touring Florida. Prob would not return. No pool, no beach acess
Nice kitchen sink
Very small bars of soap, most other items you must supply like a hair dryer.

• Stayed February 2013
1 Thank OhioDave_47
Reviewed August 14, 2012

It might of been okay if the guy (Ed) would of been friendly. He was way smart [--] and not nice at all. Riped us off even though I clearly stated that we had 4 people on the phone. The room is ugly and smells. Please do not waste your time, there are nicer places to stay for relatively same price in town

• Stayed August 2012