“great view - poor service - pricey mediocre food”

Snappers Oceanfront Restaurant & Bar
Ranked #20 of 134 Restaurants in Key Largo
Cuisines: American, Caribbean, Bar, Seafood, Soups
Good for: Large groups, Romantic, Bar scene, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Scenic view, Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Brunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Snapper's Restaurant offers quality dining with a Florida Keys feel at moderate prices in a casual atmosphere. Both locals and visitors alike are treated to a truly enjoyable Keys experience when visiting Snappers. Whether you're enjoying our Jazz Brunch on a Sunday morning, dining by the waterfront for lunch or dinner, seated inside our cozy dining room, or sipping a tropical cocktail at our Tiki Bar or our famous, world-famous Turtle Club- You'll see why Snapper's Waterfront Restaurant & Bar is receiving accolades as the area's distinctive Florida Key's dining experience. Sorry we are not pet friendly in our dining room.
Key Largo, Florida
“great view - poor service - pricey mediocre food”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2006

As a local, I know this restaurant has two types of service, one for locals and one for tourists. Most locals don't eat here. They hang at the back bar, the Turtle Club, and drink. The snacks offered are pricey and not very tasty. Tourist or local, the food is the same. If you are not pegged a local or known to them, service in lousey. This is definitely a "we'll never see them again" establishment.

On a previous visit, 4 out-of-state friends of mine insisted we go to Snappers because they had read about it. It was a busy friday, but we were seated at an outside table within 15 minutes. The waitress appeared to take drink orders about 10 minutes after we were seated. My friends had caught a dolphin (mahi-mahi) and asked for it to be prepared. I am not really a fish eater, so I ordered a ceasar salad with chicken. My friends got their salads, got their grilled dolphin and I got a ceasar salad without chicken. The waitress never checked to see how our dinners were. When the waitress returned to see if we wanted desert, I said I had ordered the ceasar with chicken and her response was "I can bring you some chicken now." I said, "thanks, no, I've finished." When the check came, of course the charge for the chicken was on it . I didn't want to ruin the evening for my friends, so I kept quiet and we paid the bill. Service was really poor. Their fish was good because they freshly caught it and simply had it grilled by Snappers. In spite of this, the bill was still $150 for 5, and no one had more than 2 beers.

In all, locals come here only for drinks on the ocean to enjoy the view. Locals don't eat here. There is better food and service at other places in Key Largo.

Oh, as an insider tip, if you really want to visit Snappers do not park your car in the lot closest to the Snappers building. Park in the additional parking across the street. When Dove Creek Lodge was built, they vented their septic/sewer into the main parking lot for Snappers! If you look closely, you can even see the somewhat disguised sewer vent. If you mistakenly park near it, your car will be filled with horrid sewer fumes for hours!

6 Thank wnbamiamisol

Chicago suburbs
“Paradise”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2006

August 1, 2006
My wife and I have been going to Key Largo for 25 years and purchased a home their 10 years ago. We go to Snappers Waterfront Saloon 90% of the time and find the food, atmosphere the service to be very good to excellent. The Keys are not for people in a hurry. Give them a second chance you'll be suprised.

4 Thank caseygtp
Royal Palm Beach, FL
“Food okay, service horrible”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2006

Our hotel staff recommended Snappers to us, so we chose to go there on a Saturday night. We didn't have any wait (to our surprise) and we sat outside on the deck. The restaurant ambience is nice and inviting. The outside dining is a bit cramped and you have to sit on plastic chairs, but the view makes up for it. The mosquitoes were biting us, but thankfully the hostess had some Off which certainly helped.

Many other reviewers commented on the service at Snappers, and I agree with them. We were not the only Snappers’ patrons that evening disgusted by the lack of service; in fact, we made friends with the table across from us because they, too, had a bad waiter.

First, it took a long time before our waitress even approached us, but when she did, we first ordered our drinks. I had a mojito, which was really tasty and I do recommend it. After our drinks came out, our waitress took our food orders, and this is where it got interesting. I ordered their special - Bronzed Grouper with shrimp risotto. I asked for no beurre sauce, and the waitress practically scolded me. She said, "That's going to ruin your grouper." I replied, "Well I don't want the sauce. I'm sure it's going to be fine." And she was like, "well, that's not how it's supposed to be," and she snapped up my menu very aggressively. She turned to my boyfriend and he ordered the cedar snapper (or something like that), but asked for no sauce too. She again scolded him and said "No, no, no. Why don't you just order the grilled snapper....?” It was so rude, but he took her suggestion any way. She walked away very abruptly, not very kind or considerate. We were going to order an appetizer, but after her treatment, we opted not to.

It was funny, because after that, the table across from us commented "You have good service, too?" That's when we made friends with them. We both had to wait extraordinaire times for our food to come out and the servers always seemed to be in a hurry. She didn't even ask how our food was when it finally came. When I went to use the restroom, she came to get our salad plates and my boyfriend said "I don't think she's done with hers." Our waitress got made and stormed off.

Overall, the food was decent. Our fish was tasty, cooked just right. The side dishes were also tasty, and they offer quite a few options for side dishes. The bread basket was delicious too. However, I would say the food was overpriced especially considering how bad the service is. The average price was about $24 – 35 for a fish dinner. I would not go back to Snappers, considering how bad the service was, not just with our waitress by with other servers. It’s not worth the frustration. I’m sure there are other good quality seafood restaurants in Key Largo with good service, so go there, not to Snappers.

4 Thank alibuddha
Florida
“Great by water”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 14, 2006

I'm a Yacht Captain and we approach Snappers from the ocean side. We anchor out and take our dingy in to the docks. I have gone to snappers now for over a year with these clients and it is now the destination of choice for lunch. We travel via their yacht from Coral Gables to Key Largo just for lunch a couple of times a month. We previously would go on the bay side and have lunch at other establishments. Unless the seas are very rough, we've decided that Snappers is our restaurant of choice. If there is a problem to point out, it is that they do not have a dingy friendly dock to pull up to. We have to tie up to a wall and climb up the wall to get out. No ladder or dock. With my clients being 75 years old, it can be tough but the restaurant makes up for it. The selections on the menu are great. The fish fresh. The staff very friendly and attentive. It is truely a Keys experience.

Reading a couple of the other reviews, I find them unwarranted. Of course a popular establishment is going to have a waiting list and I don't want to be rushed when I'm eating. I've never had a bad meal in the years that I personally have gone there.

If you want a great Keys meal experience, Snappers is one of the best places to go to.

Capt. Steve Russell

4 Thank CaptainSteve
“Customer service poor”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 17, 2006

Myself and my wife ate at Snappers on 28 Dec 2005. Everything was going well until my NY Steak, main course arrived. I cut into the steak and it was raw in the middle. I did try to eat it but it was impossible, so I called the server and complained. He took the steak away and apologised. As soon as the server disapeared a lady appeared and asked me the problem, which I told her. I requested that as I had tried to eat the steak and it was raw on the inside, would she replace the steak with a fresh one. She said are you implying that I replace the steak completely and I repied, " Yes". When the steak was returned it was obviously the same one as it was cut in two and the piece I had tried to eat had gone ! The lady said it was not their policy to replace undercooked steaks but to make them good! I then said you have brought the incorrect side, a baked potatoe insted of fries - with this she snatched the potatoe from the plate with her hands and run of with it to return with a bowl of fries. My wife had now finished her meal and i ate my steak which tasted like a re-cooked steak tastes-horrible.
At the end of the meal I asked the server to see the Manager and the same lady turned up. I explained the situation again to her and told her I was not happy with the situation. She said that I had eaten the steak so it must be OK and stormed off leaving me sitting there bewildered. I paid the bill,leaving no tip and left. Needless to say, I will not be returning - Beware you have been warned!

3 Thank freddietriffid