“amazing dive with this outfit”

Rainbow Reef Dive Center
Reviewed September 5, 2013

My girlfriend and I recently dove with rainbow reef this past labor day weekend (sept 1st and 2nd). We did an afternoon dive with Captain Dean and his crew to Molasses Reef and it was amazing. We ended up on the same boat and same captain on day 2 of the dive but in the morning this time.

On both days the entire crew was more than accomodating, offered to help with everything and offered refreshements and cookies as promised. Both days our dive guide gave us a very thorough briefing on safety and the do's and don'ts while in the reef since it is Marine Reserve (basically don't touch, hunt, collect and leave nothing behind) which any scuba diver should respect in order to preserve the reefs. The dive profiles were fairly shallow, 40ft max but thats okay, majority of the reef is situated in that depth anyway.

The boat was a little crowded, but that is a given since it was on a long weekend and the boat is rated to handle 20+ people/divers. I personally don't mind a crowded boat as long as proper diver etiquette is maintained by everyone and enforced by the crew. It never took too long to get in and out of the water even with this size of dive boat. But i can see how it's not for everyone.

All in all, this is a create dive outfit and top notch service by the entire crew on land and on water. so why only 4 out of 5? I generally never give 5 stars and like to reserve that for something that was extremely exceptional.

1  Thank deanc952
Write a ReviewReviews (1,632)
All reviews
in 20 reviews
"benwood wreck"
in 18 reviews

Reviewed September 3, 2013

My BF and I decided to have a Florida vacation for my birthday this year and booked three days of diving with Rainbow Reef. We were lucky enough to be on the smaller boats all three days. I recommend you ask to be on the small boats when booking if they have the space. The Divemasters are wonderful and very helpful. We were so lucky to be on the Spiegel Grove trip this weekend with Drake who took us on a private tour of the the ship! The other divers were in a group so Drake was able to take just us two around which was great because we were able to really take our time looking around and taking pictures without having to worry about keeping up with other divers! We also had him as a private guide on the wreck of the Benwood so we once again had tons of fun taking pictures and looking for sea life! I would definitely recommend this operator to anyone diving in the keys. Overall they have a nice and friendly vibe. They are safety conscious and not intimidatingly hard core about their diving so you are able to relax and have great time!!!!

Reviewed September 3, 2013 via mobile

Great dive crew, they really know the reef systems and where to go to find good diving. I would recommend them again and will surely be visiting again.

Reviewed September 3, 2013 via mobile

Took my wife to get her Advanced Open water certification. Kelsey made her feel very comfortable and allowed to tag along. Overall the trip was amazing and very well coordinated. The boat captain allowed the divers to choose their destinations. Thank you Kelsey, hope to dive with you again.

2  Thank James N
See more reviews
Reviewed August 30, 2013

We have been diving with Rainbow Reef for several years. We get to Key Largo about twice a year and always choose Rainbow Reef. The reasons are numerous:
1 safe, well maintained boats with experienced captains.
2 dive masters leading every dive, if you choose to follow them.
3 dive intern program brings talented, energetic, young aspiring dive pros into the profession. They are learning customer service along with advanced dive master and instructor skills. We love their enthusiasm and appreciate their skills.
4 price. A multi day dive package with Rainbow Reef is a great deal.
5 convenience. We stay at Suites of Key West just a block away. The central Key Largo location is great for restaurants and shops.
6 dive quality. There are limited sights but Molasses and French Reef are well protected with excellent fish life.

I cannot recommend a better dive operator anywhere, and we have been diving in a lot of places.