“Don't bother !” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Alabama Jack's

Alabama Jack's
Ranked #37 of 133 Restaurants in Key Largo
Cuisines: American, Bar, Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine, Scenic view, Families with children, Kids, Bar scene, Large groups, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Lunch, Drinks, Dinner, Late Night, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
drogheda
“Don't bother !”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2013 via mobile

Made a point of stopping here on our trip from Orlando to Key West

Looked and felt every bit of the dive that it is

No discernible fish in the conch fritters - more like heart attack on a plate - only ate two - the second to confirm the first was awful.

Place felt extremely dirty and smelt real bad .

Don't even think about using the restroom ! Yucckk :-(

In Ireland this would be condemned and closed by any self respecting inspection authority

So much potential with location wasted by slovenly practices.

Delete this place from your to do list and GPS !

• Visited June 2013
2 Thank louliDrogheda

Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
“Perfect introduction to Keys lifestyle”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2013 via mobile

Stopped here on our way in based on reviews posted here, and we loved it. First the food: we had the Conch Chowder, Coconut Shrimp (YUMmo!!!) with spicy fries & coleslaw -- all of which were good, but the Coconut Shrimp is an absolute 'must have.' Crunchy but light breading. The hub and I devoured them and neither of us typically like fried foods. The Conch Chowder was also quite good as were the side dishes. Based on what we ordered (which was based on reviews here) I disagree with those that say the food here isn't good; just order what we did and I reeeeeally doubt you will be disappointed. Now the atmosphere: just what we expected, and that's not a bad thing. We had a high top table on the rail by the water right next to the bar. We watched fish jump to the surface when our neighboring diner threw bread in the water, and basically just had a very relaxing hour. At 2:00 in the afternoon the place was fairly full, including a tour bus of somewhat obnoxious men on vacay; waitresses who seemed a tad indifferent (but were polite and did their job); but hey -- it all somehow fit. We would definitely go again.

Visited June 2013
Hialeah, Florida
“What a Bummer!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2013

Was very looking forward to going to Alabama Jacks for awhile and i was so disappointed.i had a feeling when we walked in ,when I saw the sign CASH ONLY machines out of service. The vibe was nice ,a little trashy ,but being fathers day you attributed it to that. But when you ordered ,they were out of clams ,mac n cheese,potato salad ,mac salad ,they're signature rice( how do you run out of your signature item)and tossed salad. Come on people its an eating establishment and your only a 15 min drive to the grocery store. the conch fritter should just be called a funnel type bread with onions and peppers and tiny pieces that were suppose to be conch. The coconut shrimp were good and the onion rings were OK. All in all I wouldn't go out of my way to visit again ,like my son said been there ,done that ,what a shame.

• Visited June 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
North Massapequa, New York
“A Diva of a Dive”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2013

After reading about Alabama Jacks, decided we had to stop there on the way to our first Keys vacation. Well, the four of us were glas we did (2 couples). Call it "eccentric", call it "ramshackle", but call it unique. It doesn't look like much from the outside, but what a fun (and scenic) place to stop for some good food and even better views.

Our fun and tasty lunch started off on the right foot thanks to our wonderful waitress Lavonne, who insisted we call her Luscious. We tried their conch chowder * conch fritters, of course (both were very good), some coconut shrimp (crunchy & flavorful), and a great blackened Flipper sandwich (no, no - it was mahi mahi).

Loved the view of the river/bay/whatever, the occasional wildlife making an appearance, and the quirkiness of the place itself. If you're on the way to the Keys, be sure to take the back route and stop here for a worthwhile respite.

Visited June 2013
Hampton Falls, New Hampshire
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Not all it's cracked up to be”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2013

I have been waiting years to have a chance to eat at this famous landmark, famous for its conch fritters. I'm not a conch lover, so I chose a fried yellow snapper sandwich with onion rings. I am an onion ring snob, so I always ask whether they are made fresh or frozen. The waitress assured me the onion rings were hand made in the restaurant, so I ordered them. It took forever to receive our order, even tho it was 2 pm and the lunch crowd was gone. My snapper was overcooked, so dry I had to grab for my beer. The onion rings were definitely FROZEN; they had that slimy excuse for an onion inside definitely pre-formed greasy batter. The waitress continued to maintain they were fresh, even though evidence showed otherwise. In the end, she did take the charge off the ticket, but that didn't make up for the disappointment of having such bad food at a place that is world-renowned. Location is terrific though.

• Visited April 2013